Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Icom IC-7850/IC-7851 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-7850/IC-7851
Icom IC-7850/IC-7851 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $17000
Description: This is the 3rd generation flagship transceiver of Icom :
IC7850/IC7851 (IC7850 is a 50 years Icom anniversarymodel
of 150 units).

It perfects HF operation with new features such as a
1.2kHz optimized roofing filter to improve in-band
adjacent signal performance. The new radio's up-
conversion design supports a dynamic range that
outperforms competitors' similar models in the 2 to 10
kHz separation tests. Unlike HF rigs that use a
conventional voltage controlled oscillator for the 1st
LO, the IC-7850/IC-7851 employs a direct digital
oscillator (DDS) with a voltage controlled SAW oscillator
(VCSO). This new 1st LO design sets a new benchmark for
phase noise with -150dBc/Hz at 10kHz offset (and
-140dBc/Hz at 1kHz offset). Icom's IC-7850/7851 also
features the spectrum waterfall function found in the
manufacturer's IC-7700 and IC-7800 upgrade models. The
high-resolution waterfall screen shows the changing
amplitude of frequencies over time. An enhanced spectrum
scope promotes fast and accurate scan and can be operated
with PC mouse via USB port.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7851/

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-7850/IC-7851.

PB5X Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 01:25 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After writing some reviews regarding the IC-7700 / FTdx 5000mp / Ts-990 (Ofcourse I have owned all those radio's) I honestly must say that this ICOM 7851 is even sensitiver and more quit on receive than the other 3 Radio's. This piece of machine is so quit that sometimes (specially on a dead band) I need to check if the Antenna is hooked up, it is just marvelous for your ears as I am always using a headset to listen.

There is allready a lot been said about this radio but I can say it has also some downsides as all radio's have. E.g. I still do not understand why ICOM decided to use the MONITOR gain in combination with the AF gain. Personally I find that it should be separate like the TS-990. Also the radio it self is more sensitive for RF shield, meaning that sometimes with highpower I had some RF quircks ... after putting some Ferrite clamps on USB-,POWER - and other cables it was solved. Again in comparison with my TS-990 I had no RF shield issues what so ever.

But no worries the 7851 has a lot more Pro's than Con's. For instance, the NB what a dream this is. Last couple of weeks I had S9+ Interference of the new PLASMA TV of the neighbours eldest son. With putting the NB perimeters in such a way I totally blanked this S9+ signal to 0 (I have a nice video of it for anybody who is interested). With the TS-990 this would be impossible. The NR in comparison to the other Radio's I had doesn't come even close as this NR of the 7851 really works.

The spectrumscope is also a dream to operate especially as you can set it in to your pesonal taste (color / wideness / avg / ... )
Even compared to my 7300 I find this spectrumscope super to work with.

Another dream to use in these crowded bands nowadays is the 1.2 Khz Roofing filter what ICOM has designed. Even on SSB it works as I am able to hear a 5/5 station with a 5/9+20 station splattering 2 KHZ away.

Also I hear people talking about the price of this machine and I can say yes it is expensive, but do not forget that you get 2 identical radio's with all bell & whistels in 1 box. The TS990 2nd RX is a ts-590...

So to make a long story short ICOM developed a beautifull piece of machinery. Thank you ICOM..!

So I am curious also on the new ICOM 7610 & 9700 what will be coming very soon.

Thanks for reading my review and if you need additional info please find me on QRZ or www.pb5x.com

73 Roberto "Bob"- PB5X

KC0MFK Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2017 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Very good but pricey  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took a few days to listen to a 7851 at a friends shack and compare it to several other radios. A very attractive radio with bells and whistles. Compared the radio with an Elecraft K3S and Kenwood TS-590SG listening to weak DX in crowded conditions. All three radios performed very well. I felt like I was comparing an expensive Rolex watch to several Timex models. The comparison surprised me as all three radios did well. The 7851 was equal with the K3S to my ears with the TS-590SG coming in last. The Kenwood NR was lacking. The K3S is a fraction of the cost of the IC-7851. The Sherwood list rates the K3S receiver better than the 7851. There are equal and better performing radios for far less money. But, if you want to own a 7851 they are expensive. It will be interesting to see how the mid-priced IC-7610 performs in the competition.

K0MD Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2017 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned a 7800 for eight years prior to buying the 7851.
Initial analysis:
1. Compared to the 7851, the 7800 is a quantum leap forward.
2. The receiver is noticeably quieter - under crowded and non-crowded band conditions.
3. The selectivity is much stronger - strong adjacent signals can be within a kHz yet the filtering blocks them fully.
4. The band monitor/scope is substantially better and descriptive.
5. The ergonomics are similar to the 7800
6. Weak signals are better received and managed.
7. There are a few minor upgrades which are welcome such as CW speed display when you turn the speed control and a power output display in addition to the RF meter.

The transition from the 7800 to the 7851 is very simple. Surprisingly or not, it is a substantial upgrade. It is a much better contesting rig and weak signal DX rig.

IZ0GPP Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2017 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Still under test but already awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to purchase this flagship after long evaluating. It's no more than a couple of weeks but i'm really astonished by this radio since it's the only jap which can compete with the TenTec Orion 2 in terms of the reciever (CW only). The general construction is superb and the user interface is really friendly even in tough situation as rare dx in split. The transmitter is absolutely precise and reliable. The most critical test is still to come: weak signal very close to strong ones. I'll be able to say more in the next future.

VK4JK Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2016 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Rolls Royce of modern Tranceivers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only recently purchased the IC-7851 within the past month. I also own the IC-7300, which is still a very good radio for what it is, but I have had that radio for a while now so it was time for an upgrade. So far with what features I have used, it cannot be faulted. It will never have a better receive audio or transmit audio over my old faithful Kenwood TS-830S, but for what these modern Transceivers are, they are Brilliant!

2E0ZMX Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2016 13:55 Send this review to a friend
100% Perfect   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Icom IC-7851 all I can say is wow !
The radio is just perfect in every way, all the buttons and knobs are in the right place the screen is nice and sharp the receiver is just outstanding and works very well indeed with my Ultra beam UB20MX.

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2016 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Icom 7851 is the most technologically advanced and yet **easy to use ** rig that I have ever seen or operated.

Check out these "not so obvious" but extremely well thought out design features...

1) The main and sub tuning knobs on the IC-7851 are slightly UNDER 1 inch (2.54 cm) from the desk surface. By contrast the bottom of the main tuning knob on my Yaesu FT1000D's is 2" off the desk. Now, think of the angle of your wrist when you're tuning for long periods of time...(Still want the higher knobs, no problem, they include easy to snap on adjustable feet for the radio that can raise it if you'd prefer a higher angle!)

2) All of the most frequently used menu items and adjustments are in the lower portion of the radio, again, easy to change from just off the desk level. The lesser changed items, such as the mic gain, RF Power, Key Speed etc. are at the top of the radio.

3) The display screen is large enough to read and if you can't well, you can connect an external monitor and get it to just about whatever size you want.

BEST of all, it's the only radio I've seen yet that has a screen saver!! You can easily adjust the screen saver to go to sleep (turn off), or twist the display around (like floating) etc. I actually sent in a request to Yaesu for my FT-991 and FTM-400XD (before I purchased the 7851) asking for this very feature as I often monitor for long periods of time and don't wish to burn in the screen!

4) This radio can be remotely controlled using optional software on a laptop from anywhere in the world! No more "Gee I miss operating my radio while on a business trip/vacation!" (The automatic internal tuner adjusts based on the freq you select). Too bad you can't connect your rotor to this program...now that would be awesome (being able to operate while changing the direction of your antenna OR just pointing the antenna into the wind remotely if you see a big storm blowing in!) Knowing Icom it will be in this radio next!

5) If you hold down the meter key on the upper portion of the software defined buttons, it will put the S meter, Power Out, ALC, Comp, SWR, and lp meters at the lower part of your screen. It will also show you the operating temp and voltage. For once you don't have to keep flipping a dial or pushing buttons to see various key operating meters!! Brilliant!

6) There are plenty of reviews below that describe the listening experience - let me just quickly add that I wholeheartedly agree that it's a dream to listen to and, just like the brochure says, if you have someone on an adjacent frequency bothering you, you can literally tune them out while still hearing your key contact!

I can go on and on but all I can say is that I wrestled with whether or not I wanted to spend this kind of money on a rig - well, I bit the bullet and went for it after seeing it in person at our local Hamfest in Dallas. It may be a Texas sized price, but it is MORE than a Texas sized rig all packaged neatly into a great looking, sounding and operating rig!

I say - go for it! You truly won't regret it!!

N0JR Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2016 12:36 Send this review to a friend
7851 is THE BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IC-7851 is the best "big" HF transceiver I have owned or used in 58 years of hamming, and I've owned or used most of them. It is the center of my shack and the last big transceiver I expect I will ever buy. I cannot praise it enough; it's receivers are stupendous.

LA5YV Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 01:18 Send this review to a friend
The BEST  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The last 3 years I had in my shack :
ICOM IC-7600, IC-7700, IC-7800, Kenwood TS-990,
and now IC-7850 (nr.105). The ICOM IC-7850 is the best, a leader in performance and buielt in features.

M1AQO Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 16:29 Send this review to a friend
It doesn't get any better.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having several high end radio's coming in to the shack over the years including the K3,IC7800,FTdx5000 and the Flex 6500 I would say that the Icom Engineers have created a masterpiece. The rig is a dream to operate with the controls well thought out. If you are already an Icom user you will feel totally at home with the features and set up. My main reason for trying this rig was to get that SDR functionality but without losing the legacy radio look and feel. Let's face it it's important to have the best under the hood at this price but for me at least it also needs to look nice and this rig is a beauty. The high definition screen displaying the panadapter is on par with the flex Signature series and the two panadapter display is more than enough for my needs. NB, NR and variable AGC are excellent allowing you to tailor the receiver parameters for any band conditions. Out of all the radios I've used the NR reduction function produces the most natural audio of them all. The adjustable bandwidth and adjustable IF function is very adaptable but with a superb IMD I have found that I have not had to adjust it that often even when the band has been really active. Being an audio addict with my previous rigs I have always used external audio equipment with a studio microphone but when I bought this rig I wanted to keep it simple. I use an RE20 plugged straight in to the front mic socket, adjusted the simple bass and treble controls and I receive unsolicited great audio reports. Having owned an IC7800 I was already used to being able to adjust the receive band width along with tailoring the 3,6 and 15k roofing filters and I was curious to see how well the new 1.2khz filter would work. I am an SSB operator and when I first selected the filter with a band width for receive of 2.6 or 2.8khz I was impressed in how the filter was removing the band noise but not that it was taking away the dynamics of the audio sound. Yes I know it's obvious BUT I didn't realise you could adjust the filter to tailor it to your personal preference. With the bandwidth set at 2.6khz the the 1.2khz roofing filter set at 25 and the receive bass and treble adjusted to your liking it sounds amazing. When I first set up the filter and band width I thought that the radio wasn't receiving because it was so quiet, how wrong I was. Signals appear from nowhere with more or less zero noise, just AMAZING. I probably like a lot of hams out there are looking for an amazing receiver, functional interference rejection and ease of use. Icom have ticked all my boxes. I know the radio isn't cheap but if you have been considering one and you are worried about taking the plunge, go for it you will not be dissapointed. Thanks Icom you have raised the bar again. The only thing missing is the tracking notch filter which is unique to the Flex radio, no that would be a thing!