Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Collins 75S-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Collins 75S-3
Collins 75S-3 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $680.00
Description: This was the first of the 75S-3 series

You can write your own review of the Collins 75S-3.

K6XN Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have restored and still use a 75S-3 winged emblem, and two 75S-3B, round emblem and winged emblem receivers each with the SSB and CW filters. After recapping and aligning and retubing and loving (as needed) these wonderful receivers they have performed in an outstanding manner. I love these old classics. I also have some more modern FT-2000, and a Flex 5000 among other rigs but I still love to use these old antique classic beloved Collins receivers. When I was a teenager back in 1960 I couldnt afford these beautiful Collins receivers. Now as an old fart I can...and I love it. :-) If you can get one of these go for it. You may be surprised and delighted.

KK6IYM Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Great amateur receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a number of receivers and transceivers--Collins S-1, Drake B and C, TR-3, TR-4, Collins A3, KWM-2, Kenwood TS 830S, Heathkit SB 310, Yaesu FT897D. I find the 75S-3 is as good as any for selection and receiving weak signals. The notch filter (rejection tuning) really works well--better even than the Drake C. I also like the accuracy of the dial. What a beautiful design. Those days are gone when the looks, the engineering, the whole package was a thing that was made to last forever.

Norm
KK6IYM

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 14:42 Send this review to a friend
I finally got one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a large collection of radios, mostly receivers. A few years ago, I purchased many, many radios and refurbished them for resale. I kept the best examples for myself. I discovered I enjoyed the refurbishment process MORE than operating them. I have a mint 75A-4 and a 51J-3, but always wanted an S-Line. Not getting any younger, I decided to 'treat' myself to one. I did a LOT of research and found there is not a whole lot of difference between the 75S-3 and the 75S-3B/C. Except for PRICE! Ouch.
In fact, the 75S-3 has a 200 Hz CW filter built in.
I like to compare the Collins S-Line to the Drake B/C line. I have 3 R-4Bs and a highly modified R-4C. I like the B's better. Unlike the Drakes, the Collins radio chassis age very well.
Anyway, I found a very nice example of a 75S-3 and it's undergoing cleaning, etc. There are some ugly old caps underneath and those will be replaced, but the radio just has that wonderful toooby sound.
I did an A/B comparison with my (well maintained) Icom 761. I preferred the Collins. I have hundreds of spare tubes for all the boatanchors. For a 50+ year old radio, it's just amazing.
You can see many of my receiver reviews here.
Enjoy, life is brief.