Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Van Gordon Shorty All-Bander dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Van Gordon Shorty All-Bander dipole
Van Gordon Shorty All-Bander dipole Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $$44.95
Description: 70' dipole with loading coils and fed with 450 ohm ladderline.

You can write your own review of the Van Gordon Shorty All-Bander dipole.

K8CPA Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2002 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna.........But  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Guys,

I Own a Van Gordon Shorty All Bander Dipole...

I love it...

I use the entire 100 ft of Twin Lead.

Tunes up on ALL bands Except, 160 and it's hard to tune on 40 meters, run it into a Van Gordon 4:1 Balun. it works great... It's a tad bit noisy, But it gets the job done...

Folks, listen, as a rule, if you want performance on ANY band, you have to run a resonate antenna on the said band........ Bottom line..

My only DISLIKE is the rudeness of the people at Van Gordon, I called them once and the guy who answered the telephone, acted like he didn't want to talk to me. If you gonna sell a damn product, be prepared to get calls and questions, otherwise, get out of the Ham Business. also, I noticed after my call to them, they removed thier address and phone # from AES's Catalog. Some business. My next antenna will be a G5RV or a Double bazooka for 80 meters and a small beam..

73 de K8CPA

-Chuck

AF4OD Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2000 03:52 Send this review to a friend
its a good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
hello
i have had a von gordon shorty up for over 3 years. i have used it daily on all the bands. I use a MFJ 989C tuner to load it up. I have run 800 watts to it with no problem on cw. I have this antenna mounted in a sloping style. The top insulator is 55' feet high and the lower insulator slopes down at an angle to approximately 20 feet. I occasionally change the ropes out that support this dipole.
I have noticed that some bands to have more difficulty tuning up, if my memeory is correct 17 meters is the worst, but i have always managed to get it to loaded up.
I highly recommend this as an excellent beginner all around dipole. I m sure there are lots of other better yagi's, beams and log periodics, but for less than a hundred dollars and a nice tuner, you can work some dx on cw. I hope to work up to 200 countries soon with this
antenna.

73's
bill capps
af4od

KC0BDW Rating: 2/5 Dec 15, 2000 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Not an all bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna because I needed something that could handle over a 100 watts. I does load up on 80,40,30,20,15. (better on 80 and 40) However on 10 it refuses to load up. I tried everything, But it will not load on 10.. I'm going to try a G5RV next.

AC6IJ Rating: 0/5 Dec 14, 2000 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Not an All-Bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one antenna that I heard much about and had to try it out. It went together nicely and I had trouble with it when I tried the different bands. I used 40' of 450 ohm ladderline, directly to various tuners that I had and I just couldn't get a good SWR reading on all the bands. Trying different lengths of ladderline did not improve on the All Band performance. I had mine in the shape of an inverted V with the apex up about 30'. I even tried an external current Balun 4:1 and it made no difference in the performance at all. I finally took this antenna down and went back to my G5RV which I can work Japan on only 2 watts. They say the All-Bander is a good antenna, but I learned my lesson with it. Bill AC6IJ normally@softcom.net