Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Apache Labs ANAN-10E Help

Reviews Summary for Apache Labs ANAN-10E
10) (note: no ventilation holes required in .mil style
designs)
Supports 2 fully independent receivers (sharing the same
antenna - and with suitable PC software, Each receiver
can display 48/96/192/384 of spectrum)
Blocking Dynamic Range (ARRL Method) no detectable gain
uses a larger EP3C40
3. The ANAN-10E supports 2 receivers while the ANAN-10
supports 7 receivers
The ANAN-10E is an ideal platform who want an entry level
DDC/DUC SDR tranceiver, performance of the rig far
exceeds most high end legacy radios.

Nothing is disabled on the 10E. If the transverter is
capable of handling the higher power that's provided at
the ANT BNC or TX Out connector, then the radio is ready
to go. The RF output range for the ANT connector is (0-
13W) and (0-300mW) for the TX Out connector. These values
can be adjusted in the software.

The ANAN-10E has a grey colored case.
More info: http://www.gigaparts.com/Apache-Labs/Apache-Labs-ANAN-10E-SDR.html

You can write your own review of the Apache Labs ANAN-10E.

HB9AWJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Super portable SDR Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this rig since 3 years and I use it with the PowerSDR mRX PS software. Stable, reliable and easy to use. Good small transceiver to start with SDR. Very useful as portable rig in holidays for antenna experiments. With the 10 to 15 watts (a little bit more than the normal 5w qrp) ist allows also SSB operation if there are good propagation conditions. On the new 60m band you can just work with the 15 watts maximum power. I intend to add the Hardrock 50 amp for eventual SSB operation.

G4VGO Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2017 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Best of Class - Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For more than 50 years ham radio has been part of my life. In those five plus decades there has been the evolution from AM to SSB and now to SDR - great changes. I have had the ANAN 10E for about nine months. I also have read the other reviews and nowhere is the radio faulted. Slow computers, lazy owners who do not understand open source development, but no bad radio comments. The receiver is the best I have used and I have owned many good ones from the the Yaesu 5000 to the Flex 6300. Even with a 14 bit ADC it is superb, better than anything else I have ever used (until I discovered Apache Labs). Selectivity, sensitivity, ease of use - all top of the line.

The software is a very strong point, it is super intuitive and the radio played (and played well) right out of the simple small box it came in. Diversity receivers the way diversity is supposed to work, Pure Signal gives you the cleanest signal in the world - read that again - in the world. I use my 10E with a touch screen and it is a very good digital combination. RTTY contesting is now a breeze. The filters are the sharpest I have ever used.

The ANAN 10E does its job so well I bought an Apache Labs ANAN 100D - except for a Collins 75A4 I will never sell - all knobs are gone from my shack.

If you can find a 10E buy it, it will not disappoint you.

73 Bob KH6KG

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been through so many different HF and 6m transceivers in the last six years (licensed six years in a week) that I cannot believe how the Anan 10e has completely changed my thinking about what a transceiver should be and all this for less than a thousand dollars.

I have experienced Yaesu, have owned and enjoyed Elecraft, dabbled with an older Flex model, enjoyed Icom, Ten Tec, and Kenwood radios. I would put the Anan 10e receiver up against any of them including my trusty old K3s. It is really a fantastic receiver that really blows my mind with the HPSDR software.

The filtering is superb, the receive audio is just great, the NR2 is the best Noise reduction for SSB that I have ever heard. The NB is very good (but not as good as the K3). It is a rig I can listen to for hours. On CW it is great to listen to and sounds as good as my previously owned K3 and Ten Tec Eagle.

So what do you get. A very flexible receive platform with three antenna outputs. The ability to use and configure your antennas easily using one as receive and up to two others for transmit if you want to, digital capability with VAC and CAT configuration capabilities using VSPE and VSPM. Works very well once set up.

Now for some of the challenges. You need a very robust desktop to operate well (I am using a liquid cooled gaming PC with a SSD, and high end graphics card). It works awesome. It took me a couple days to get it configured like I wanted it. It is not plug and play. It is like an IT project. It took me about a week to get CWSkimmer to work properly. The configuration issue was that it didn't work within VSPE and only works with VSPM. Another issue is that there are inconsistencies in the manuals and there is a lot of room for interpretation. You need a specialized board or IDC26 keyed cable and breakout board to connect it to an amp and/or if you want to build a BCD cable for your amp or an outboard tuner. I have mine connected to a W6PQL HF and 6m amp. Just wow!

Overall I recommend this rig very highly though I will get a regular rig eventually to be its partner. Overall super amazing receive experience. I love the rig. I can only imagine how the higher end Anan models are in terms of performance. This one does terrific for an amazing price. This is an experimenters dream rig for cheap if you are into IT.

KR3EP Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2016 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Anan 10E from cheap ham. The receiver is excellent. The differences in the Anan 10 and Anan 10E are 7 receivers vs 2. Receive difference is about 1 dB. There is a bit of a learning curve to them. It can take a while to tweak it to get max performance. But thats half the fun. I run ESSB and it excels at that.
There have been various mentions of latency. It takes a 3 gig quadcore and 8 gig mem min to run correctly.
That being said, the new firmware coming out will require a gigE ethernet connection. The current ethernet protocol is Baset100.
Simon Brown,(author of Ham Radio Deluxe is writing a new software for several different software defined radios.) The new firmware and Simons new software when done will add new features to the radios. Like using Nvidias GPU to handle the majority of the work instead of the CPU. KR3EP

N2DTS Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2015 17:06 Send this review to a friend
good in most ways  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to get working, once you find the software, just plug the radio in, hit start and it works.
Some latency on my I5 windoze 7 (8 gb) computer.
Cpu runs 10% on that computer.
Great audio on both RX and TX, easy to adjust, the built in eq and processors work well.
Power output as delivered seems a bit off band to band, but you can correct that.
The receiver works very well, you can not tell its a 14 bit radio.
So far, only the latency (delay) is an issue and it might have something to do with the computer, maybe a slow Ethernet port.

A45WR Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2015 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Compact High performance Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i own this radio by prebooking and received the radio from ANAN India directly. Great radio very good receiver performance, Support is Very good, even the small niches got rectified very fast.i am using it with a 100W Homebrew amp as my main radio.Great radio with unbelievable price.

KN0CK Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2015 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio - Support is challenging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my ANAN-10E from GigaParts right after seeing the other Apache Labs radios on display at 2015 Dayton, too. I've been impressed with the Apachae Labs line for awhile now and knew that this would be a pretty solid investment for me. I liked the specs better for the ANAN-10, but just could not justify spending the additional $600 to get a definite spec for receive dynamic range. I was a little 'thrown off my horse' that the sales guy at the Apache Labs booth didn't know the ANAN-10E's receive dynamic range (and it wasn't published in the Apache Labs full-line catalog handout) but I knew that it couldn't be any worse than what I own now (FT-1000MP). So far, I've been REALLY impressed with the performance of the ANAN-10E using it on receive and what little transmit I can do on QRP on phone (I do want to use this rig on WISPR at some point). So from a purely performance perspective, I would be hard pressed to find another rig out there with similar specs that would out-perform this ANAN-10E. It's receive is outstanding and its transmit seems REALLY clean compared to other radios I've owned over the years. I especially like the fact that they use transmit pre-distortion to correct any issues when the signal hits the antenna - - that's a GREAT feature to keep the signal pure.

Okay - having said all the good things about the ANAN-10E as a radio, I will tell you that the SUPPORT for this radio - FROM AN APACHE LABS PERSPECTIVE - is severely lacking. While it's true that they are responsive when sending support questions (it takes a day in lag because this is being answered by their India design center) and they DO answer, it just appears that the fellow I was conferring with at Apache Labs didn't seem to know anything about the ANAN-10E architecture. All the information he sent me regarding an software/receive issue I was having with my ANAN-10E was met with reprogramming it like the ANAN-10...and they aren't even similar when it comes to reprogramming. The ANAN-10E is bootloaded by Ethernet and uses a ByteBlaster for the firmware reprogramming. The ANAN-10 just uses Ethernet to reprogram the firmware and uses a simpler to use Windows application to load it in. I was told to reprogram my ANAN-10E like an ANAN-10 (and this isn't even possible - the two rigs don't even use the same FPGAs and processors). And don't even bother trying to get the support from the Apache Labs website - Each time that I went there to get documents for my ANAN-10E or the information to reprogram my unit the support page was broken or the links to the files were broken on their website. In fact, the 'Download' file area didn't even have the documentation I needed for my ANAN-10E, I had to subscribe to TWO Yahoo Groups to obtain the docs and files I needed, and even then it wasn't entirely for my ANAN-10E. It wasn't until 5 days into searching for the User Guide for my ANAN-10E that I finally stumbled onto it in a Yahoo Group for one of the Hams that's helping with the software development of the Apache Labs line. I told the support person at Apache Labs that the files and manuals for my ANAN-10E are scattered all over the planet - not in one central spot on Apache Labs website where you can obtain them. So if anything, getting the documentation and the means to reprogram my ANAN-10E has been challenging. It shouldn't be that way with any product that you lay out $1000 for - it SHOULD be included.

Anyway, while this has been a great radio to play with in terms of its actual radio performance, the level of support seems a little 'free-form'. If you're not used to 'open architecture, open source' products, your user experience for routine maintenance on your Apache Labs product will be less than optimal over your usual 'brick and morter' designed radios (Kenwood, Yeasu, Icom, etc). While I can live his this issue, I just think that Apache Labs could have done a better job of collecting all this data from the authors and collocating it onto their website like a typical Support/Download page would be.

VA2SS Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Great SDR !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine at Dayton Hamvention 2015. I was for quite a lot of time searching for a serious SDR transceiver at an afordable price.... The ANAN 10E makes all other SDR in this price range worthless.

This is a great companion transceiver in my shack ! Even QRP, this SDR transceiver rocks !

Tried PowerSDR and cuSDR.... great software too !

N7BUI Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2015 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After coming from a Flex-3000 this radio really needed to make a big impression. Well it has met those expectations and more. Aside from the obvious differences of lower power output and no tuner, it excels above and beyond the Flex-3000 in every way. The Dual receivers and panadapters that can extend to 384K, PowerSDR, and a sensitivity that compares very favorably with the Flex series make this a huge winner!