Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | 3rd Planet Solar HW-8 Relay Replacment board Help

Reviews Summary for 3rd Planet Solar HW-8 Relay Replacment board
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$8 for kit
Description: Replacement for the HW-8 mechanical relay.
More info: http://www.3rdplanetsolar.com

You can write your own review of the 3rd Planet Solar HW-8 Relay Replacment board.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2015 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I have a couple of HW-8s. They are a fun, old radio but the one thing that always made them feel like "old" was the clattering mechanical relay that prevents anything like QSK. Well I ordered a new non-mechanical TR relay from John (along with an audio board) and have installed it in one of my radios. The only word I can think of is "WOW"! It's a small board and if you aren't comfortable with crowded parts you can get one assembled. I build mine and got it installed. It makes the HW-8 a whole different experience. First of all no clattering in the backround. Secondly I set the delay fast enough that it is pretty close to QSK. I can hear between characters. Between the enhanced operation of the new TR board and my audio amplifier it really makes the old jalopy move! I'm keeping one of HW-8s in the main operating desk now to use as a daily driver (along with my Argo 509) This is a great addition to an old radio and is very reasonably priced. Oh: the instructions are excellent, everything worked right out of the chute. Go get one!