Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil HS-706 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HS-706
Heil HS-706 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: Specifically designed for the IC-706, this new Heil headset features a new high gain f.e.t.(field effect transistor) microphone producing extremely articulate audio that will make your IC-706 come alive!
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/HS706new.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil HS-706.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2001 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Great for Mobile Use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the HS-706 to use in the mobile with my 706MKIIG. My family takes long road trips in the summer and I did not want to disturb everyone else with the radio while they were listening to CDs or playing video games. Needless to say, it worked out great. Audio reports were excellent and the headphone was reasonably comfortable for long 4+ hour trips. My original goal of maintaining peace in the car was obtained. I agree with Luis' previous comment that a nice coiled cord would be much better for mobile use. The straight cord can get in the way a bit. Great product Heil.

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2001 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Great DX Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this mic. It is not a night and day difference, but it is a noticable difference with dx. it make a difference and a valued addition to my dxing my only small complaint if there is one, is the one left side head phone. if that is even worth mentioning. But It is just too sweet. It really make the 706 a better radio. The vox with the headphones is so so so so nice. I am just so happy to have it. Operating mobile I needed a better mic to give the extra punch. YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST THE CARRIER CENTER FREQ. THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU. WHEN YOU DO WOW! POW!! HEY YOU SOUND BETTER. It drives the rig better fuller audio out and your voice sound more alive. and better freq response. Mostly noticed by the dx.
73's mike

KB3CDF Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2001 16:53 Send this review to a friend
I AM A HEIL FAN and not disapointed.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I called Heilsound's infoline in regard to a headset mic. Bob Heil himself answered. WOW.

He asked what rig I was using, and I told him the ic-706mkiig. He told me of some product developement specifically for the 706 series, and maybe I should consider waiting a month.

I called back in a month and was able to get one of the prototypes with a 1/4" socket for a footswitch. This is different from the production model that has a lapel PTT. I was told at the time that there was a difference of opinion in the design. ICOM wanted the lapel PTT. {It's not Bob's fault.}.

Audio reports are great on the air. "I can't believe you're mobile" is common to hear. I have the foot switch and both hands are on the wheel. (Automatic transmission - hi).

Get one for your 706mkiig. It suites the radio well in a mobile/portable environment and works great. FM & SSB.

KB3CDF/M
73's

K8FF Rating: 3/5 Dec 19, 2000 08:11 Send this review to a friend
OK...But!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the HS706 last Saturday from my local dealer. I thought that I would give it a try before driving all the way back home. I plugged the headset into the 706 and quickly found an intermittent connection to the plug. I returned to the counter and requested another one. I then opened and tried the second and found that it had little or no tension to hold the band in place. It was so loose that the weight of the earpiece would extend the band. Back to the counter again! The third try was the charm, all seemed well with this unit.
Aside from the mechanical problems, the HS706 works great. It seems to have more punch and the voice quality is excellent. The earpiece is a bit bassy, but that is personal preference. My advice is to open the box and check it out before you buy.

K5LDL Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2000 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Great headset, great sound! Needs a thing or two...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my hands on Bob Heil's newest offering in terms of headsets. I must admit, it works! And it works well! Although I've only tried it on VHF and UHF (as I am presently a Technician), I have gotten GREAT audio reports from the field on AM, SSB, and FM. I ordered my headset and waited impatiently for it. Since I ordered it for my upcoming vacation, I wanted to try it out and work out any kinks in it prior to my leaving. The headset comes in a plain white box, which I quickly opened and out came this headset. I must admit, the quality is there. Good construction, solid wiring and general overall professional appearance to the product. I quickly went to connect the headst to my 706 and did as told by the included instruction sheet. I will admit, this f.e.t. type microphone is HOT. Due to audio reports I have my mic gain set, as per instructions, down to 2. I tried 1, but that seemed to low for my tastes. Anything higher and I was overdeviating local repeaters with my output. On FM, and AM, my audio was reported to be very natural, not tinny or small compared to the voice my friends hear in person. One respondant reported my audio to be comparable to the HC-5 cartridge that is somewhat popular with the local ragchewers. I must admit that all use of the HS-706, up to now has been in the mobile setting, in my truck at 55 m.p.h. or higher. My next test for the HS-706 is my upcoming vacation. I will be in Oregon, both on the coast and in the mountains. I plan on using my rig to it's fullest VHF and UHF capabilities, along with the HS-706. I will file a follow up review upon my return. At that time I will add to my comments. For now, I do have a very short list of wants, at least in my opinion, for the HS-706. I want a lightweight coiled and longer cord instead of the straight cord that is part and parcel of the HS-706. Since my IC-706 is very much a mobile rig, the addition "Up" and "Down" buttons to change frequencies would be an EXCELLENT addition to the PTT housing. I also would have liked the the PTT switch to be a bit lower on the line. I was thinking of clipping the switch to either my in-seat console or the cuff on my shorts. I found it was just long enough to be clipped onto my shirt. I tried holding the switch and found it to be somewhat small in my hand and the clip seems to get in the way. Of course these are just opinions based on a very short time with this headset. Only time will tell if these opinons will change. With that, until I write a follow-up review for this product, I wish you all the very best!

73!