Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: MW0JZE 7 Band Wide Spaced Hexbeam Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: MW0JZE 7 Band Wide Spaced Hexbeam
Hexbeam: MW0JZE 7 Band Wide Spaced Hexbeam Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $650
Description: Following the success of the 6 Band G3TXQ Hexbeam MW0JZE has increased the vertical spacings between the bands to accommodate the 40m band. The bands 6 to 20 are in the traditional G3TXQ configuration while the 40m is a bent dipole fed with its own feed-line via a 1:4 12.5 Ohm Balun which is supplied. Turning radius has been increased from 3.25M to 3.75M for the main framework. Extension arms hold the 40m di-pole in place and these extend to 4.1M in total. More info can be found on the website.
More info: http://www.g3txq-hexbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: MW0JZE 7 Band Wide Spaced Hexbeam.

M0UTD Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first heard of Ant's plans to make a 7 band hexbeam in mid 2014 and based on his success with the standard 6 band G3TXQ version I decided to place an order. Ant informed me that at that point it was still a prototype but that he was looking for some beta testers and being a keen dx'er and an old friend of his !! I could meet the criteria Ant was looking for as a tester.On the 9th of May 2015 Ant personally delivered and helped me install the 7 band hexbeam at my portable dx QTH.
The hexbeam was replacing my aging j beam tribander which only covers 10-15 and 20 and until now I have been using a cobwebb on 12-17 and a w3zz on 40 & 80. So this antenna I was very excited to have some real gain on the warc bands plus 6m and not to mention 20 thru 6m on one coax. The 40m band is a folded dipole so even at 40ft to the base plate plus the height of the antenna its up at 48ft it works great.
Ant reinforces the fact that the 7 band hexbeam antenna was not designed for portable use as its quite a bit heavier than the 6 band version and comes in at 18kg. The antenna came with his additional xtream wx supports which are an optional extra on the 6 band version, and the 40m comes with its own 1:4 12.5 ohm balun which is made of 2 x FT240-43 torroid rings wound with teflon coax so will handle quite a bit of power.With both Ant and I assembling the antenna casually it took us around 4 hours with a small food break, and Ant checking every little nut and bolt and wire. No adjustments where needed straight out of the box which was great.
On air tests that afternoon
Ant ran his VNA over all the bands, but he was not happy with 40m until he noticed I had hoisted my 40/80 wire dipole up the mast while he was setting up his test gear, I dropped it back to ground level and 40m was fine. This goes to show how other antennas in close proximity to one an other can cause interaction and problems. All bands where then given the thumbs up and it was time for a cq.
MY STATIONS CONSISTS OF ICOM 756 PRO3,Acom 1000 amp take a look on www.qrz.com/db/m0utd, there are photographs of the antenna on the mast on there.
I was amazed that even using the amp no tuner was needed on any band.
The first 5 stations worked on 20m where
9V1RN, MT0IXD, J79WTA, CO8LY and D3AM, Signals where amazing and the antenna performed brilliant.
Both Ant and I spent a few hours on the air and worked all over the world.
Ant then went for some sleep after a long day, but I was really keen to use 40M having never had a directional antenna on that band wow it was like another world I managed 15 USA states many south america and Caribbean stations, then to my amazement 3 stations in Japan. Until now I had only ever had a wire dipole North/ South so this maybe why I never worked JA on this band before thus showing that a rotatable shortened di-pole is an advantage over a fixed wire Di-Pole.

Since this initial trip to my portable location, I have been operating a few times and worked 2 ZL stations on 40m and many VK stations

So in conclusion this is the best antenna I have ever had, yes it is a big ish antenna but wow it works, anymore info any of you require please email me airportexpress@btinternet.com or any technical info please contact Ant mw0jze@g3txq-hexbeam.com he is a very helpful guy and nothing is too much trouble for him, he is also quite fussy what I classed as swr acceptable he didnt, he is a perfectionist !!!

If you buy one you will not be disappointed I am sure
regards