Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Par Electronics OmniAngle Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Par Electronics OmniAngle Antennas
Par Electronics OmniAngle Antennas Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: The OmniAngle series of antennas accomplishes what the Halo and Turnstile started out to do- provide a clean omnidirectional, horizontally polarized antenna.
More info: http://www.parelectronics.com/antenna.html

You can write your own review of the Par Electronics OmniAngle Antennas.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2009 14:45 Send this review to a friend
A LITTLE GEM!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my OA144 yesterday. It got assembled in about thirty seconds and went up on the indoor mast by the bedroom wall. The height above ground is probably about 28' and it's over twenty feet from the nook that serves as my shack. I'm using thirty-five feet of LMR 240 coax into my Icom 706 with fifty watts of power available. I turned the pointed side of the antenna away from the wall, but it's still near the ceiling and a metal air vent. I used my antenna analyzer both at the antenna and at the radio and the best I could get was only 1.2:1:1 SWR! Of course I tried the radio in the middle of the afternoon and I did not expect to cross the Rockies or the ocean. No one on the air. But when the ops come out in the metro area I will be ready!

Talking with Dale is always a pleasure and I also have one of his Six Meter loops.

If you need a small, solid and high quality SSB antenna for indoor or outdoor use, it is hard to beat this antenna. The price is very reasonable. All the others are expensive.

KE4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Great products  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 4 of these antennas, 2-2 meters, a 6 meter and a 440. I also have three of the Endfedz antennas.

Have a group of guys that like to get on 2 meter sideband. Problem was, I had to keep turning the beam all the time to hear any one of them.

The Omni changed all that with out having to turn it. Could hear everyone.

These antennas weigh almost nothing, are easy to put up just about anywhere and extremely easy to tune. None of your neighbors will know what it is.

Thanks
Chuck

K3TD Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2007 19:17 Send this review to a friend
excellent antennas!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my OA-50 and OA-144 Omniangles from two different locations with excellent results. Due to deed restrictions my antennas must be stealth or inside the attic. I have worked over 50 different grids on 6 and over 25 on 2 through casual operating from home and have always been most impressed with the performance of the Par Omniangles. Dale's customer service after the sale is also excellent! It doesn't get any better than this!

KC2NWV Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2006 09:15 Send this review to a friend
It's not just the product, Its the entire experience!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My goal was to get the most bang for the buck. I wanted all of my vhf on one mast both horizontal and vertical due to space and budget constraints. I got all that and more with these PAR Omni Angle antennas. I did the research, and bugged the heck out of the owner, Dale with question after question. This man responded to me within 30 mins whether I emailed him 7am or 11:30 pm. Dale took my installation requirements into consideration and instructed me as to the spacing, and he took the time to explain exactly how his antennas worked. I decided to purchase the 144 and 50 to mount under my omni on a 12 ft mast. They arrived quickly and well packaged. They came 80% assembled and the other 20% took me all of 10 minutes each being careful. They mount easily as they are very light and easy to work with. Same with adjusting the swr. The antennas installed at 1.5:1 on the 50, and 1.2:1 on the 144 using the basic instructions. I have been able to tune them down to 1.2:1, and 1.1:1 respectively. Miniscule weather detune to report so far. Tuning the antenna is easy and accomplished by simply sliding the elements. All signal reports are improved and solid.
So here we have high quality materials, high quality manufacturing, easy installation, lightweight, high performance, and the best service imaginable. You can have your cake and eat it too. Thank you PAR electronics for the full experience!

N0RQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2005 10:00 Send this review to a friend
OA-50 - excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My 6 meter OA-50 has had about 6000 miles put on it over the last few months, all at 3' over the top of my full-sized van. It has survived a couple of scuffles with some trees branches, no damage. It works well, easy to put together, cheaper than some of the competition, and response from the company is superb!

(Side benefit: it sure makes people look at your vehicle, giving the opportunity to tell them about ham radio.)

A+ for this one. http://www.parelectronics.com/

- Dave N0RQ

W4JMY Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2004 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run the OA-50 both mobile and at my home station. I have had great results with the antennas at both locations. I consistently work stations 75-100 miles away with the mobile. I run an Icom 706MKII in the mobile with the antenna about 6 feet above the ground. It is mounted on the rear of the vehicle with the apex toward the front for safety reasons(flat nose Kenworths make me nervous). At present it is being fed with RG/58 and I'm going to try a run of RG/8 to see if there are any enhancements. The only problem I've found and I've been able to overcome is the detuning in the rain. I just recentered the tuning and that seems to alleviate that problem. I'm seeing about 800 kc's usable bandwidth(1.5:1vswr). I'll be glad to send anyone a pic of the mobile intallation if you email me with a request. w4jmy@yahoo.com
The OA-50 at home is up at 35 feet and it performs just as well as the one on mobile. They are easy to tune and take little time to install.
I'm giving the OA-50 a solid 5 as it has really impressed me and the people I work with it. I have a friend that runs one mobile on a Ford F-350. The antenna is mounted on a tripod in the bed of his truck under the bed cover. It is about 4 feet off the bed floor and does not seem to suffer any reflection from the truck or the aluminum window trim in the bed cap.
I'd reccommend the Par OA-50 to anyone who wants an antenna that is easy to assemble/erect,is funcional and is quite affordable. All in all, it is a great antenna for both fixed or mobile/rover action.

K9YC Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2003 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Good design, well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a pair of 2 meter loops and a single 6 m loop. I installed them in much the configuration of the photo in their catalog, with the 6 m loop midway between the two 2 m loops. I stacked them at a half wavelength, using the PAR stacking harness. My antennas are on conventional TV mast, but the connector assembly is designed so that it can be reversed to allow mounting to the side of a tower. The tower would, most likely, distort the pattern a bit, especially on the 2 m antennas.

As I pulled the coax into the shack and hooked it up to the radio, a great aurora opening was under way, and I worked a dozen stations in a half hour or so with 100 watts on the 6 meter loop.

The antennas went together and tuned quite easily using an AEA analyzer. The antennas seem quite well built, and look like they should hold up well over the years. Their design makes them quite easy to tune. Both models provide the SWR bandwidths specified on their catalog sheets. I've left room lower on the mast for a second 6 meter loop, and will likely add one in the spring.

I can also attest that the design virtually eliminates the detuning problem that rain causes other loop antennas. A few days later, I arranged a test with a nearby ham on 2 meters over a path of about 15 miles. It was raining, and our QSO was broken by a ham about 30 miles west of us running 10 watts to my friend's 50 watts. My friend was in the noise, while the guy 30 miles away had a solid signal. The difference was that my friend was using one of the loops that is seriously detuned by rain. He ordered a PAR the next day.

The only problem was with the stacking harness -- the Tee connector was of a "too cute" design that fell apart in my hands, luckily before I put it up in the air. I replaced it with real Tee from my junk box.

Jim Brown K9YC (ex-W9NEC)
Chicago

KC9BQA Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2003 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Great performance in Sept. Contest  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one OA-50 (for 6 meters) this summer and worked about 30 states and VP5 (Turks and Caicos) with it when the E skip was common.

This positive experience with the Par OmniAngle convinced me to put up a 2nd OA-50 and also get 2 OA-144's (for 2 meters) for the Sept. ARRL VHF/UHF contest. Stacking the 2 loops is supposed to add 3db gain and concentrate the RF energy closer to the horizon.

I thought I got *great* results in the contest. It was my first contest and I had a ball! From EN63, (40 miles north of Milwaukee) I ended up with 66 QSO's in 22 grids on 50mhz and 81 QSO's in 25 grids on 144. This was with 100 watts on 50 and 144 mhz.

Everybody was talking about the lousy band conditions. At my QTH, it rained steadily for over half the time I was working stations. The Par OmniAngles never faltered. I got new QSO's in the log in *every* hour that I was on the air.

Best DX was EM64 (Alabama) and FN41 (Massachusetts) early Sunday morning on 50mhz. I got a Colorado station to come back to me, but the propagation faded. Best DX on 144mhz was EM 49 (near Quincy, IL), EM79 (near Dayton, OH) and EM89 (90 miles east of Cincinnati)

My OmniAngles are at a modest height. I simply have them mounted on sturdy mastpipe and bracketed to the side of the house. The OA-50's are at 33' and 45', and the OA-144's are at 28' and 32'.

Over the past few months, I called Par with a variety of questions. Dale ALWAYS answers the phone and he has always been patient with me. Dale has provided the finest customer service I can imagine. Also, these are very easy antennas to assemble. 10-15 minutes at the most.

Getting into contesting was a bit intimidating for me, personally. I just figured I wouldn't have the right equipment, antennas, etc. Well I was wrong. The contest was a blast! I wish there were contests every weekend.

I "only" had modest power and modest antennas. But it worked! If everyone who had an Icom 706 or 746, a Kenwood TS-2000, a Yaesu 847 or 897 would hook up a Par OmniAngle and try 50 or 144 or 432, the VHF/UHF bands would be as busy and interesting as 20 meters.

73 and call CQ regularly,
Todd KC9BQA EN63

KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2003 00:23 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC antenna !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I currently own all three of the Omniangle series antennas. From my FN24 QTH, on 6-meters I've worked MANY states as well as Mexico, Bermuda, and the Carribean with just 100 watts SSB. On 2-meters, I've worked stations that were about 300-400 miles away on 144.200 USB with 150 watts. As for 440, I have yet to experiment because I'm having too much fun on 2 and 6. GREAT antenna folks! BTW...all three PAR omni-angles mount nicely on a ten-foot mast on your roof.

KD5NMI Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2003 10:29 Send this review to a friend
50 mHz TRUE Omni  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up the 6-meter Omni about 10 days ago at ONLY 18 feet.

With 25 watts out of 5054DX ... I worked 25 states in a 6 day period.

If I could hear them .. I could work them.