Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BCD996P2 Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BCD996P2
Uniden BCD996P2 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $499.99
Description: Digital Mobile Trunktracker V Scanner P25 Phase 2 capable
More info: http://uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BCD996P2

You can write your own review of the Uniden BCD996P2.

N7AF Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2015 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Improving  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this scanner for one month. Initially, it was rather unimpressive, especially P25 Phase 2 reception. It was only receiving an occasional Phase 2 transmission and most were missed. I noticed that there were a couple of firmware updates so I applied them. Now, I'm receiving most Phase 2 transmissions. On the negative side, the scanner is slow selecting the trunked frequency on P25 transmissions so the first part is often cut off and replies are often missed. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update. On the positive side, the digital audio from this radio when played through a good commercial communications speaker is astounding. I never thought I would say that about digital audio. Through the internal speaker, digital audio is somewhat muffled. This scanner has the same problems receiving digital simulcast transmissions that the others do which makes antenna placement extremely critical. It seems to work okay for analog transmissions but I don't use it for that since I have analog scanners. Initially, I would have rated it a 2. With the firmware update, it's now a 3. If it locked on to the trunked frequencies faster, it would be a 4. And finally, if this or any other scanner could receive simulcast transmissions well, they would be a 5. I'm happy enough with it, especially the outstanding P25 digital audio, that it's not going anywhere and I hope that future firmware updates will address the deficiencies so I can at least upgrade it to a 4.