Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Aftronics Super SCAF Help

Reviews Summary for Aftronics Super SCAF
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: An older but fantastic SCAF Audio Filter

You can write your own review of the Aftronics Super SCAF.

DH5AK Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Simple and excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found an AFTRONICS Super SCAF these days. I was looking for it quite a time. I tested it with several of my QRP radios and found that it is simple to use AND excellent in tis selectivity. It uses a cipset names S3528 and S3529 made by AMI. This filter is free of ringing, even in its smallest bandwidth. There are absolutely NO artefacts as one would receive from DSP filters. This is not the case with switched capacitor filters.
This filter has a mains supply inside. It needs a nagative voltage, so operation from 12V is not possible if you do not exchange the internal mains supply through a voltage converter. My QTH is in DL, we have 230Vac here, so I had to exchange the transformer for one with two 6Vac coils to have 12V center tapped to feed the filter. This took me half an hour. The filter has a solit audio amp inside to drive a speaker or headphone.
The AFTRONICS Super SCAF is compareable with the MSC Smart Filter, they both use the same chipset. The AFTRONICS Super SCAF is the KISS-version of the MSC Smart Filter, less comfort but sturdy and excellent in selectivity! Both filters seem to be as rare as henteeth, so try one if you find one. In 2018 these are commonly sold for 85-95USD, however I was lucky to buy mine for 45,-USD (plus shipping!). This was one of my best deals I ever made!
N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2015 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Fantasit Audio Filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the Aftronics Super SCAF on eBay for an excellent price. For a review of this filter, go to QST April '86. There the product was described by it's developers. It was later sold as an assembled unit.
I have a bunch (!!) of audio filters from Datong, Timewave, Idiom Press, etc. However, nothing workes like the Super SCAF!
I tuned to the CW portion of 20M today and the fact that you can select both 'low' and 'high' pass frequencies, really surprised me how well it worked.
One CW signal, although the Icom 761 AGC captured
it as viewed by the S-meter, completely disappeared from the audio output.

I have heard the parts for these are 'unobtanium', this one was mint and works perfect.
Just lucky for a change......