Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A Help

Reviews Summary for SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A
SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: The current production version, the RSP1A which launched in November 2017, is a 14- bit full featured SDR receiver covering 1kHz 2GHz with 10MHz visible bandwidth. The full datasheet can be found by going to https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/
More info: Http://www.sdrplay.com

You can write your own review of the SDRplay RSP1 and RSP1A.

AA8TA Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2017 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice panadapter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this to use as a panadapter with my Kenwood TS-590S. Unlike the SG, I had to tap onto an attenuation jumper inside the 590 to bring the receive signal out. The 590 disables the receive output during transmit.

Despite that, I can see my transmitter spectrum. One time I got an email from a ham who said I was spattering when I was running digital. Wish I had this unit back then. My CW waveform looks nice but I don't know how accurate it is.

I have an Apple Mac Mini so the software seems to be limited to CubicSDR. It took a little while to get that set up and running. I'm getting more used to it and can actually see a useful spectrum of what is out there.

The sensitivity is fairly course. On its most sensitive setting the SDR shows some signals that I can't hear on the 590. On the 2nd lowest setting, I can hear signals that I can't see.

I still have to get more used to the SDR; changing bands requires a lot of adjustments, but I think I'm not bookmarking things properly.

I have not noticed overloading including while transmitting.

I have not tried to implement a way to click on a signal and have the radio tune there. Not sure if that could be done with this setup.

Also have not tried to listen to the audio from the SDR.

As a panadapter, this is a nice, inexpensive addition to my station.

KB7TT Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2017 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Radio is Outstanding SW needs work  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an SDR Play on my FTDX 5000. Yes the manufacturer provides monimal support and their Software is a big "Kludge"... Four windows, little documentation to configure it. SDR Uno is just too raw and unfinished for me.
So, I went with SDR Console V3. A bit easier to configure and much more elegant well designed software. I hooked the radio to the IF port on the 5000 and was dissappointed, too many bugs and inconsistent operation. Then I figured out how to hook the SDR Play to the external receiver jacks on the 5000 and the software is much more stable and totally useable. Lots of help from people thru google searches and the SDR-radio.com Yahoo group. I am satisfied and the software will just get better from SDR Console.

AA4AJ Rating: 3/5 Jul 2, 2017 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Good Luck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are a true propeller head and get lots of pleasure from twiddling with computer software, you will love this product. Have fun. If you are not, read on.

The SDRplay is in two pieces. The 'black box' is a Radio Spectrum Processor that hears that spectrum, digitizes it, and via PC software turns it into audio and video. All you get is the black box. It seems to work just fine. The software and documentation are down loaded from the SDRplay web site and can be done at any time with or without the Radio Signal Processor.

There are two applications available from the manufacturer and apparently lots more from the cult that follows Digital Signal Processing. The company seems to recommend SDRuno and that is where I started. There are videos on YouTube that tell you how to get started. Without them, I would have spent a lot more time getting the application to look like anything at all. Look at these before you start.

The documentation you get with SDRuno is, in my opinion, very weak. It appears to think that you are part of this cult following and already know a great deal about DSP. Many things are not explained but are taken for granted. Some things shift between the two applications that are available without a lot of warning. I found that I was looking at 'Google' a lot for explanations and definitions. The application is a work in progress. Some things don't work as you would expect, some don't work at all, some assume prior understanding that you may not have, and some promise a following version of the application. The company offers no help. They have email as their only contact method and they don't answer that. Their 'blog' and other sources are often contradictory.

This is not a appliance. It does not work as your ham radio works. It is a PC application and takes all of the introductory fiddling around that any new and poorly documented PC application would take. It is also a work in progress and is not intuitive in any way, After two days, I realized that I had come to the end of my 'trial and error' configuration period and sent the thing back to HRO. Thanks be to HRO for taking it back.

I was a PC tech for 30 years and software as this would never have been given to users as a tool. If you get your kicks from messing with this sort of thing, you will love it. The API and actual software code are probably available. Not my idea of fun.

KK5JY Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2017 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Works fine with SDR#  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm still running the RSP-1.

I use this as a panadapter. Technically, you could call it the "2R" of an SO2R setup, since I feed the RX antenna over to it through a protection and routing circuit, and the RSP runs full-time, even when I transmit.

As such, it seems to run very well under Windows 7 using SDR#. My "ham" computers are older machines, but the SDR# software doesn't burn much CPU. The Windows drivers appear to be quite stable. I really like the SDR# software as a panadapter. The waterfall is smooth and high-contrast, and has a high frame rate, which gives the bands a "live" appearance.

I paid about $150 for this device. At $150, an SDR#-based panadapter using this device runs circles around the Elecraft P3, even with the P3's SVGA board. I used a P3 for several years, and this is a much better panadapter option. I can view the entire band of any HF or VHF band, regardless of what my transceiver is doing.

The downside is that Linux support is poor. It is unfortunate that the "cheap dongles" have plenty of solid Linux support, but the RSP just can't seem to get drivers and integration for any mainline Linux SDR software. A hobby SDR should be open and easily integrate with other packages. SDRPlay isn't there yet. Searching the web, there are obviously people working on this, but what Linux support exists is still quite buggy or just "inop."

That said, for $150, I'm happy to run Windows for a while longer for my panadapter display. It is so much better than the P3, and much, much less expensive. When Linux support for the main Linux-based SDR applications stabilizes, I will be glad to give this device a 5+ review.

KG6YV Rating: 2/5 Jan 4, 2017 15:50 Send this review to a friend
The Software is very immature  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just set up an SDR RSP2 using SDR Uno software. The radio hardware works fine but the software is very immature. First and foremost you cannot save the setup on the four independent windows that need to be configured to use it. I want a panadaptor and will NOT spend 5 minutes configuring multiple windows when I turn it on every day.... YOu should be able to configure it once/save and recall your settings. Beta at best...
I am going to try HDSDR and see if that works better. It has been around a while and is much more mature than SDR Uno.

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2016 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is great value with mature software from HDSDR, sdrunio, sdrconsole, sdr sharp, etc. All of these operating programs are 100% free. I am comparing it with a Icom 7600 & Yaesu ftdx5000D among others. It has strong performance in all ways including great notch filters, 2kc spacing in crowded ham bands with my contest worthy antennas on all ham bands along with great AM shortwave listing on the popular bands both day & night. My advice to anyone having issues with this receiver is to closely go over your settings, your antennas, join the many forums and ask for advice. This receiver is so good even a year or two ago you would have paid $500-$1000 and still couldn't have exceeded its overall performance.

Go to YouTube and view AB5N review of this unit he does a great job with showing all the features of not only this unit but many other products in depth.

SHORTWIRE Rating: 1/5 Nov 26, 2016 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced, messy design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
FM band breakthrough is unbelievable and everywhere!

New model has TCXO and Ext. Ref, plus better filters.

About same price as the old model i bought less than a month ago.

WHAT A RIPOFF!!!

Do not waste your money on this junk, made by children!!!!!

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2016 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Great general purpose receiver   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After spending a few months with this receiver, I can say that it is a great go-to receiver for a lot of applications. I use mine with several different software packages, each having certain features.

I've found it best to control the IF gain manually rather than using the Tuner AGC on the RSP Device Controller panel. By doing it this way, most all overloading etc. can be eliminated.

So this really has turned out to be a great little device at a great price. Buy one and learn how to properly use it and you won't be disappointed :).

LU8EQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Great sdr receiver.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a great sdr receiver, paired with sdr uno software platform. It will not hurt your pocket and it is NOT just a cheap dvb dongle/converter in a box. Not at all! It has several preselector/filters and a low noise amplifier, making a great front end enhancement. I really enjoy sync AM reception of broadcasting stations, checking the bands for activity and listening to aircraft approach traffic. Installation is very simple and for that task the manufacturer's website will guide you thru step by step. I am very happy with it.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2016 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Best money spent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For average and routine listening, this unit is fantastic. It is my first radio I turn on to see/hear what the bands are like. The best $150 I ever spent.