Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-470 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-470
Yaesu FT-470 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $395.00
Description: 2m/440 Dual Band HT

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-470.

WM4YD Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2015 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but a goodie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this HT back in March of 92 when I upgraded to Tech. Took the test on a Tuesday night, got home that evening and called AES the next morning.

I bought it with the speaker mic, drop in rapid charger, the charger adapter (for use in the car) and an extra battery (the biggest capacity they had back then). I don't know how many hours I have on this radio, but its been there when it was needed. The original ni-cad battery packs lasted almost 9 years, which was amazing.

This radio doesn't have a lot of memory slots, or the features the newer smaller radios have, but this radios does what it was supposed to do, work. I've carried this thing all over the place over the years, and it still works flawlessly. I love the older radios because they feel better in your hand than the newer radios that are so darn small.

You can still find these used all over the internet, and batteries can still be found too!

G8SEQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2009 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio many years ago second hand from a dealer. It was used as a general purpose handy-talky for a while and then got use on UHF for packet radio. I gave up packet during a shack re-shuffle and the rig lay unused for a while and the battery pack died. I've just soldered up 6 X 2000 mAHr NiMH batteries and have been using it on the local repeaters. Biggest problem was remembering what all the buttons do eg I couldn't change bands and couln't remember how to unlock the keypad. Downloaded the maual of t'internet.I intend having a go on AO-51 with a 3/5 element external Yagi antenna in the next few days but first up is a 2m DF hunt . I'll use its rubber duck and body shielding for that. Great rig, very versatile.

KB4SOG Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2009 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve had the radio for over a year, and used it pretty extensively. Before this I had two Icom HTs, and I have to say this radio blows them away (though admittedly they were older radios also). The radio is solid and dependable. The controls Ė once youíve figured them out! Ė are easy to operate. The receive is good though as others have noted the volume is low. This has not proven to be a problem as I always use a speaker mic. Yes, itís big and heavy, but I happen to like that. Battery life is good (I have the 7.2v battery). If you get one be sure to get the manual, the controls can be cryptic until you know them. I gave $75 for my radio, two chargers (drop in and wall wart) the battery eliminator, an extended life battery and two antenna. This is a good radio for either the beginner or an experienced user.

KD6ANF Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2009 09:29 Send this review to a friend
What can I say...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Operator error concerning the "soft mod" for UHF frequency expansion. As it turns out I forgot to reset the UHF offset frequency back to 5Mhz in order to continue operating thru amateur repeaters. This radio now operates as it should in addition to receiving the public service frequencies programed above 450Mhz. This radio does what none of the newer radios are able do, operate "full-duplex". No wonder they're still desirable to have on hand, read "handie". The FT-470 and the Heil Traveler Headset have made operating AO-51 a real joy, especially being able to actually listen to my signal thru the satellite five hundred or so miles above.

And to think I was just about to part with it.

Best regards

george potter KD6ANF

N7SGM Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 06:15 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING DUAL BAND HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine before I got my ticket as an incentive to study and pass the exams. Fairly expensive back in 1992 as compared to the dual band HT's offered today. I still have it and use it today. For the new Technician it would be a great choice and they can be readily found on Ebay along with many accessories.
Pro's
1. Easy to program the 18 memories per band
2. Wide choice of batteries that are still available.
3. Can be used with inexpensive power supply in the shack.
4. It has a dual band display and scan feature.
5. Solid case with nice keyboard.
6. Batteries and accessories still available.
Con's
1. Susceptible to intermod, especially the local NOAA weather band braodcasts.
2. May be too big for some ops.
3. No switch for keyboard/display backlight. It only has a momentary switch.

All in all, I would have to say that this was one of Yaesu's best. I highly recommend it for the new ham.

KE5OFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2007 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine on eBay as my first radio when I got licenced. I got a package deal with the NC-29 rapid charger, 3 FNB-10's, FNB-14, CSC-44, aftermarket PA-6 type 12vdc adaptor and Radio Shack speaker mic and original box.

I realy like this radio. With a MFJ mag mount antenna I can hit a lot of repeaters on both 2m and 70cm. It works great for accessing local IRLP nodes.

I bought this radio because I am intrested in trying some AMSAT work and have read many reviews that recomended this radio.

With the inexpensive Radio Shack mic I have gotten very good audio reports. One contact thought I was using a base with a power mic.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one if I come across one for the right price.

WB4HUC Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2007 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Still going after 15+ years  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1991 I went to the Dayton Hamvention and I carried my new FT-470 HT, which I used to keep in touch with friends.

This year, 2007, I went to the Hamvention again and I carried the same FT-470. I looked at Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu HTs for a possible replacement, but I just didn't see anything that I liked as well.

Of course the new HTs have features that the 470 can't match, like 3 and even 4 band coverage, wide-band receivers, digital communications, etc.

But my needs are met with a basic dual band radio. For me, the FT-470 is the optimum HT. Not to small, easy to use, sturdy, and not cluttered with a lot of features I don't need.

With any luck, it'll go another 15 years.

KG8Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer / Can't break it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just like many others here I purchased mine in 92' when I was first got my ticket. Like a clutz I've dropped mine or it's gone flying during a hard stop in the car and STILL it keeps on ticking . I can't comment on decreased performance without the 12v pack because I've always used the higher voltage pack . It just works , no glitches . Just ordered 3 new ni-mh 12v batteried and fast charger for the 470 and the ft 33 for another 4 more years fun.

K6RMR Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2006 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Radio  Time owned: months
I own 2 Yaesu 470s. The First One I bought New
when they first came out in 1989.I paid $500 for it at the Old Henry Radio.Before that I was using a Yaesu 727 duel Band HT.The 470 had a Much
more Sensitive and Selective Receiver. Soon After the
radio came out Yaesu made a Mode in the 2 Meter
receiver IF free Of Charge to owners of the early
ones. They changed the Hi IF Freq to elimanate
intermod. My Second 470 was traded to me and it
is a later version. I never had the early one
Modified and I can see the difference in Intermod
on the 2 radios. 2 Years ago I sent the newer of the two radios to Yaesu and they repleaced the BNC Connector, Worn Case Parts and realigned the
whole radio for $80.If you run the radio into an
external Speaker you will see that the Audio Amp
has Plenty of punch. It is just that 1/2 inch speaker that has low audio.Also if you run the radio on 12 Volts instead of 7.2 Volts it also has more receive Audio.I also have an FT 50 that
is a great radio but I like to use my 470's for
temparary Mobile and to Listen to Swap Nets in my
room.

N7SPY Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2006 11:39 Send this review to a friend
I learned to love "this old radio".  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT-470 from eBay soon after getting my Technician License so I could use it at Public Service Events.

At Events I'd see my fellow hams with their newer, smaller radios. I thought to myself "self, you made *another* bad purchase" and I got discouraged. Dicouragement became frustration during one particular Event when I was the station maving the most trouble communicating with Net Control. I swore that I would never go to another Event using this radio.

Later on I'd find out that I was deployed at the worst spot of the entire Event so my discouragement shrinked enough for me to hit the manual and really get to know this radio. I also went online to see how other hams were using "this old radio".

I came to realize that "this old radio" could do the same things that the smaller-and-newer radios could do... and some things that the smaller-and-newer radios can't do (i.e. crossband).

Even after 15 years, this is a great radio... even if, compared with the smaller-and-newer radio, it weights a ton.