Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-470 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-470
Yaesu FT-470 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $395.00
Description: 2m/440 Dual Band HT

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-470.

M0DCD Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2006 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Idiot proof (I'm one)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was originally planning that my new FT60 would replace this one that I bought new fourteen years ago.
Now when with Raynet the dual receive is very useful, and getting the battery packs refurbished brought this back to life.
Like others, the solder joint on the BNC parted company but that's the total amount of trouble the unit itself has been.
The receiver suffers from pager QRM occasionally but the only annoying thing is the low number of memories (but that's its era).
Looks bashed about and well used because it has been, but it's not going to be binned hopefully for a long time yet.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2006 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A buddy of mine bought one so he could be in contact with me when he is mobile, so I found one on sale, here in E-ham, the price was cheaper than what my friend paid so I bought it. It's a brick but it's better than the Kenwood bricks of that time frame. I like the idea of dual band, dual receive. This HT is not a wide as the Kenwoods TM-215/315's models and fits in the hand comfortably. The new batteries of course hold a good charge. That is the only thing I have had to do was buy new batteries so I did on the W&W Battery site. Got a good price for two, and I have the drop in charger. HT listens and talks good. The only ones I have seen are used, if you need a good HT, dual band just keep looking you will find one on either this site or QRZ classified and/or ARRL classifieds. Prices are very reasonable but I wouldnt spend over $125.00 because now your getting into prices of new HT's.

Keep looking and good Hamming...

73's NØmud

WR1H Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2006 19:50 Send this review to a friend
This puppy rock !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I boughth the radio in 1990. I used pretty heavily up until 1992. Then I got out of the hobby and the radio stayed packed away, in several houses, through several moves.

I just started using it again a few weeks ago. Thats after 16 years since I bought it !.

The unit kicks a$$. All my fellow hams have their new units with problem after problem, complain after complaint. My FT-470 is so good, I now have people hunting EBAY for some.

It puts out a true 5 watts, and is built like a tank !

Like some said previously, it will double as a weapon !

I was going to buy a new HT, but I guess the little FT-470 is still eager to please. If you have one, keep it. If you don't, get one !

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2005 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Good dual band HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using one of these HTs recently, and it does a pretty good job. Does true dual receive and full duplex, so you can listen on one band while you are transmitting on the other. Makes it very useful for satellite work, although I didn't try mine on the sats. It is pretty easy to figure this HT out, and it is very good on battery life. Also has tone encode and decode as standard.

Only 2 negatives on it:
1. Speaker audio is kind of low.
2. You can't tell which receiver is active. So if you get a call while in dual receive, you had better hope you hear the repeater ID, or you won't know which band you were called on.

Other than that, pretty good older Yaesu HT, and is a little big by today's standards, but still performs pretty well.

N0XAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2005 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Solid, reliable, can double as a club  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine for close to 10 years now, I think. I've had to rebuild the battery packs twice. I've used it for portable, mobile, and even fixed-station packet use. I've used it for FM satellites, monitoring weather band broadcasts during tornado warnings, and it's been knocked around in the trunk for months on end. Still as solid as the day I bought it (well used). I have had to repair the internal solder joint to the BNC once, but no other problems at all.

I was going to give it a 4 bexause the buttons are marked a little crypically in some cases. After a while without using it, I need to pull out the manual again to figure things out. It's on par with other full-featured HTs of its era in that regard. I wish I could give it a 4.5, which is closer to the mark.

I only hope its replacement, a VX-7R, can last as long as work as well.

KD5UGS Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2005 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Very nice dual-band HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used to have a FT470 some time ago & I found it to be a very useful radio to have.
I plan to buy another for a backup for my current
dual-band HT.
This radio really cooks!!!!!!

KD5TKR Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2004 02:31 Send this review to a friend
Quality Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio from a local ham and it's been very dependable so far. I did have to open the radio and reflow a joint as the BNC had broken loose. I suspect this was because the radio had been attached to a fixed antenna. This radio is very solid and appears to have a bulletproof front end. I give it a 5 for being solid mechanically, and having modern features in a 10 year old radio. If you can find one for around $100, grab it quick.

K0UC Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2003 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT-470 at least 10 years ago and I still love it.
It IS indeed a workhorse and seems indestructible.
I bought it used from a friend who used it a LOT. And I've used it quite a bit. It looks a little beat up, but still performs well. The cross-band repeat function can come in handy at times and the radio's full-duplex capability is very nice esp. for satellite ops.
The receiver is OK in the ham bands, but as you get far away from the ham freqs, it's not the best. Wx on 162.xx is noticably weak, but usable.
My PTT still works OK, but the rubber PTT cover is quite worn.
I use my 470 for utility things like throwing under the seat in the car with the 12 Volt adapter for a quick mobile set up in the XYL's vehicle if we are travelling together (she's a ham) or for use in someone else's vehicle.
The speaker is usable, but far from ideal. In the mobile, an external speaker is nicely driven from the 470. It has plenty of output to drive the ext. speaker.
With an external mike and speaker, it DOES make a nice 5 watt "mobile."
Good radio for beginner or old-timer alike. Another great Yaesu rig.
Brady K0UC

KD5QGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2003 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Solid dependable HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 470 as my first rig after getting my ticket in 2001. This radio is a bit dated in size and ergonomics, but when nothing else seems to work I reach for the 470 and its never let me down. I have an aftermarket MAHA Nimh battery that allows me to get 5W in a reasonably sized package---I highly reccomend this upgrade. I recently had the opportunity to compare it to several more modern HTs and found that while the 470 was larger, it heard about as well, and the additional size of the rig made room for a easier to read display and better controls. That and the 470 has a metal case, a big plus considering the number of times I've dropped it.

N3BYE Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2002 23:58 Send this review to a friend
Generally - A Nice Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the FT-470 in 1991 and have not experienced any problems with the radio. The front-end is weak, and seems to pick up intermod from nearby paging stations..although this is characteristic of synthesized tranceivers of this era. If you intend to use the FT-470 for QRP, look elsewhere, or buy some nice filters for the band you are looking to receive. Along this line, there are some amplifiers that have reception filters that "clean up" some of the front-end garbage.

The power requirements to transmit 5 watts are heavy. You either need to be wired to a 12-volt source, or an external battery, like a Quantum HAM Battery, to transmit portable at 5 watts. Other wise, "High" transmit mode on the factory batteries will only reach 1.5 - 1.7 watts effective power.

A kown fact is that 1.5 watts transmitting through a solid external antenna will do very well, perhaps better than 5 watts through a cruddy rubber duck antenna.

FT-470 does not support PL Tones (restricted by Motorola patent), but handles CTCSS codes well.

Since these radios are availabe on the used market for around $200, you can get a resonable dual-band transeiver that has most features a beginner could want. For $200, though, I would want a good battery with the unit.