Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TC-MAUV11 by HYS of China Help

Reviews Summary for TC-MAUV11 by HYS of China
TC-MAUV11 by HYS of China Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $200
Description: 2m and 70cm FM transceiver
More info: http://http:\\www.hysct.com\

You can write your own review of the TC-MAUV11 by HYS of China.

VO1AU Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2015 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Medium value but with quality control problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a transceiver with acceptable performance and features, but with serious quality-control problems:
1. The first rig had ZERO output power. The dealer cheerfully provided a replacement from stock.
2. The USB programming cable would not work with my Windows 7 PC as I could not get drivers that would work. After extensive discussion with the dealer and HYS' representatices in China, the dealer suggested I downgrade my PC's operating system to Windows Vista. I did not take his advice. The manufacturer in China provided me with a driver they claimed would work under Windows 7, but it does not. I now program the rig manually.
3. The manual supplied with the rig was defective - some pages were missing, and other pages were doubled up. The dealer had no more manuals, but the company in China sent me a HUGE PDF of the manual, so huge that it could only be sent by Skype.
4. Cold solder joints: A few weeks after I got a working rig, I found that the left receiver would cut out, as if the squelch was malfunctioning. As time went on, it became worse and worse, to the point where the left reeciver was completely unreliable. However, the problem was intermittent. I eventually noticed that I could sometimes make the left receiver come back to life by applying a little downward pressure on the volume knob. My buddy suggested that a cold solder joint might be the problem. The fix was easy: open up the control head, locate the volume and squelch pot, and touch each of the six pads with my hot soldering iron. The intermittent appears cured - for now.

So, defects aplenty, but I found fixes, workarounds or I simply gave up on the more minor annoyances. Think carefully before you buy this rig.
My first several months with this rig have been frustrating, and many times I have considered returning the rig to China for service. Now it has settled down to be a reliable, cheap rig useful while mobile and for the occasional public service activity.

The ergonomics and functionality are adequate. I really wish the programming cable would work.