Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | diamond hfv5 Help

Reviews Summary for diamond hfv5
diamond hfv5 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $189.00
Description: Frequency/Band:
7/14/21/28/50MHz (40m/20m/15m/10m/6m)
Max. power rating: 150W(SSB)(7/14MHz), 220W(SSB)(21/28/50MHz)
Impedance: 50ohms
VSWR: Less than 1.5:1 (Within Resonant frequency band)
Length: 4.0m
Weight: 1.95kg
More info: http://www.diamondantenna.net/HFV-5.html

You can write your own review of the diamond hfv5 .

KF9MP Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2016 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Decent antenna for limited space.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in an antenna restricted community, this antenna was readily allowed. I use it in the upward-V position just a few inches above the top of my roof. It would probably do better up higher.
I've used tuned dipoles and HF verticals in the past with the same radio. This antenna does not hear or talk as well as a longer antenna (which is an unavoidable fact of life). But usually if I can hear them with an S-6 or higher they can hear me.
It does not tune on the WARC bands of 10, 18, or 24mhz.
The antenna is very narrow banded on 40m only tunable to about a 60khz slice which generally means you work either digital or voice but not both. It's a bit wider on the higher bands.
Tuning is simple with a tape measure and an allen wrench and an adjustable wrench.
Ideally, you should install this with a TV antenna rotator but fixed position is fine as long as you consider aiming the ends towards directions you want minimal performance.
I gave this a 4 for ease of use, reliability, light weight, ease of tuning, and versatility in different installation positions. This antenna comes with minimal instructions.

2E0OKC Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2015 16:08 Send this review to a friend
good antenna for a very same space  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a two of these over the years one back in 2007, being I was new to ham radio I chopped and changed a lot with antennas ...
my last antenna was a long wire, but I was sick of the wire hanging over my garden heading to my home, so I gave this diamond hfv5 a try again,
now I have used it for a week or too I can not see why I sold it last time, its working great, yeah ok its not a beam or a mega amount of wire in the air, but with my limited power im hitting 2000 miles or so,
this is an easy antenna to tune, only a few walks from my radio room to my antenna to get the job done. I tunes the antenna at 8ft from the ground then lifted it to 24ft and the swr only move a little on 40m .. rx I see this little 13ft wide antenna is doing better than my 50ft long wire .

like I said its not the very best of antenna as every one would have one, but mine is well away from my home and in the open my noise floor s3 give or take on 40m. and lower on higher bands.
I get plenty of stations well in the clear and so much better even as a swl .
I mainly use digi modes and nothing has burnt out,

in all for a small antenna yes its ok