Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Tempo One Help

Reviews Summary for Tempo One
Tempo One Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $298
Description: 80 thru 10 meter Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Tempo One.

KF5OAS Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 23:50 Send this review to a friend
5/5--The Iron lady  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 3 Tempo one's. I still have the last #2 radios. All have been the fully black cabinet. It was the first radio I ever owned back in 1984 and it is the radio that opened up this whole hobby for me. I love the old girl. There are of course, prettier newer faces at the dance, and I have a few in my harem...but the old Reliable Tempo One has my heart, and always will. Very solid radio...no frills.....I bought my third radio with the intention of starting my teenage son out with the same radio I started out with so many years ago. He is starting to show some interest in the Ham Radio hobby, so I have my fingers crossed. I already showed him the Tempo One I have for him, but I told him he cant have it till he passes his Technician test. The smell of warming tubes, the soft glow of the incandesence ...the velvet touch of the knobs and switches....the memories of the great Mystery of Amateur radio, kindled inside my chest so many years ago by this Iron lady and myself.....I will always have her by my side...and I will may stray from time to time...seduced by the chrome and gleam of others..but i will always come back to her. The Tempo One.

N2HUN Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great old tube rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I just got my third Tempo One from Ebay and now am in the process of aligning it. Interestingly, with the exception of 10m (this particluar one was modified for 11m - heaven forbid!) it was pretty much in alignment. Most of the trimmer caps still had the original white marker paint on 'em and in their original positions.

Am awaiting a crystal for 42.5 MHz to get it back on 10m. In the meantime have used it on CW and darn if it doesn't make me happy every time I sit down at night and watch the glow and smell the smells of heated tubes!

As for receive, some of the receive coils had to be adjusted slightly(after carefully removing the coil wax, remember that?) and the receiver is now as good as any radio I have owned. The fact that it does not have 160m - not a problem. Puts out about 100 watts on most bands, a little less on others, but that is more than enough power.

Okay so it does not have any selectable filters but not a problem, I like 'em wide open - no tunnel sounding filters for me.

Mine must have been owned by a former smoker so out came the Q tips to rub off smoke residue. Cleaned off all the switches, even though they worked well just to be thorough.

This rig also came with a nice outboard frequency display that plugs into the accessory socket.

Tempos had no cooling fans but the chassis and case are pretty ventilated. Will add a $3.99 cooling fan from Staples anyway, just to cool the finals.

Well I like this rig as much as the original one I had back in '77 and I vow not to sell this 3rd Tempo!!!!!!!!!!

Why I sold the previous two? I guess it was a matter of seeing if the grass was greener on the other side, but in the end I keep coming back to my old black-cabineted Henry Radio Tempo.

Maybe my giving it a 5 rating has mostly come from the heart and not the head but it's just a great, no frills workhorse that appeals to me.

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2013 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it a 5 for the time period it was built. I own 2 one black and white. Both work well and receive well. I get about 180w or so out. Great audio and it seems to be quite stable after a nice 30m warm up typical for tube rigs. It is a Yaesu FT-200 or Summerkamp in Europe. During the beginning of the 70s it was well priced and affordable. Henry sold them and They worked well. Not as nice as my Drakes, Swan or Heathkits. But still base rig that gave exceptional performance. Nice printed circuit boards with tubes but overall I have worked lots of dx with mine over the years and they are fun to use.

KB8QEU Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2013 01:00 Send this review to a friend
A great Radio!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was given a Henry Tempo One last CHRISTmas by KG8JG. Since then I've used it every day.

I've read the other reviews and found them much different than what I experience.

After an hour of warm-up, it is stable like a rock!

I've made contacts all over the world and all stated that the audio were warm and full, not tinty at all.

I have other rigs and none works as great as the Henry. They are a Collins, Central Electronics, Swan, Kenwood and a new Icom 720A.

In case you are wondering, I use a fan Di-pole with it's lobes at an east-west orientation. Located at 38' AGL it does very well!

However, I don't have all the crystals for ten meters.... just A and D. I need B and C to have the full ten, but I doubt I get'em.

Oh well, for ten, I use a ranger 2950 and still cover the world on my fan di-pole on just 25 watts! :D

OH! BTW, it has a Sure EM26A mic labeled General Electric.

Seven Three and Keep Hamming it UP!

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Mar 21, 2013 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Not so good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one years ago. The receiver on mine was deaf as a rock. The vfo was drifty. You couldnt work an entire band without having to recalibrate the vfo dial or it wouldnt track what frequency you were actually on. This is why many of these had an optional digital display added as the dial was nearly useless unless you constantly checked its calibration. No notch filter. Not much in the way of selectivity either. The pa is sweep tubes which in my opinion suck for an HF rig pa. Real tube transceivers use 6146's or other purpose built transmitting tubes, not crappy TV parts. They were never intended to be used as such and they were just a cheap way for Yaesu to build the rig. Any time you see short cuts taken like that it makes you wonder what other design short cuts the rig has. They didnt even provide a cooling fan for the tubes which were already marginal for the task. Elcheapo. Their later cousin the FT101 series wasnt much better. Even these offered the fan as an option. How silly can you get? These are fine for nostalgia buffs or CB pirates, but to use one of these on the ham bands...good luck. Especially when it comes time to find sweep tubes which havent been made in over 30 years...and the ones out there have all been "CB'ed" to death. A mediocre rig at best.

K9MHZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2013 05:48 Send this review to a friend
It's an OK novelty radio   Time owned: more than 12 months
The Tempo One was offered for sale by Henry Radio primarily during the 1970s. It had 4 positions for the 10 meter band, only one of which included a crystal to operate on a 500 KHz segment of the band. The other three were intentionally left open for CBers to drop in their "funny crystals", and the rig was then easily tuned to operate anywhere on the 11 meter band. Tempo One radios flew off of the shelves at local CB shops, and funny crystals were sold right along with each new radio.

This is not an impressive radio. The AM and CW modes are so bad that they're almost unusable. The sweep tube finals generated a lot of heat, and no cooling fans were included in the design. It just sat there and cooked. Two critical silver mica caps between the driver and final amplifier stages were undersized, and when they pop, your final amp tubes go into full, uncontrolled conduction and fry. The tuning dial, of course mechanical from that era, is very sloppy and the backlash varied quite a bit from one radio to the next, depending upon the built quality of the individual rig. The power supply wiring was a joke, and the wire sizing was minuscule given the currents involved. The power transformer ON/OFF switching was placed on the "backside" or "exit side" of the AC input, which was bizarre and downright dangerous under certain failure conditions.

But it is what it is/was.....a purpose-built radio for that CB enthusiast, or at best the Novice to General class transitioning amateur. It was never top-end gear, and it's lightly built inside (definitely NOT "rugged" as someone earlier described it). If you're bent on getting one, look around for a clean one. DEFINITELY replace C40 and C55, and also the power supply AC cord with a modern 3-pronged cord, and change the ON/OFF switched line to the new hot (black) side as it enters the power supply/radio. Also make sure you have a sufficient earth ground attached, as the power supply has a fair amount of bypassing to chassis ground with ceramic caps, and you'll know it immediately if you happen to get between the chassis and some other grounded metal in your shack.

In summary, just avoid this radio. If you want some nostalgia and have some maintenance savvy of old-school rigs and want to dig into a rig with a soldering iron, then knock yourself out. But, if you're new to the hobby and looking for a starter rig....AVOID. Find a modern solid state rig from one of the big 3.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2012 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Decent SSB radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to fix tube (mostly) radio. VFO and HFO are transistor.

I have two from an SK. Both were near basket case
being both dirty and missing tubes and plain broken.

I Was able to clean and repair both and they with an exception function perfectly. The exception was I replaced the sweep tubes that are expensive and scarce with a pair of 6146s (change socket and a 100V 5W zener for the screen voltage). they do rated power and are good SSB radios, poor AM (narrow filter) and poor CW due to many relays
and only one filter.

Things to note. If you have one replace C55 as it will fail and will take the finals with it. This is a known age bug.

The other is the 7360 is scarce and not cheap but 6AR8 or 6JH8 Will work if you make an adapter to
sort the different pins ordering.

Other wise the tubes used are fairly common and cheap to find.

In the air the SSB RX is good sounding and overload performance is decent. TX when adjusted correctly sounds good and can easily put 100W to the antenna. I use mine fairly regular and it's proven to be a solid radio despite its age.

As tube radios go it's a compact unit and a clean one has a good functional look to it.

KE7IYU Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2010 23:50 Send this review to a friend
This rig is a hoot!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I traded into this rather homely collection of tubes and wire for $90 and a broken radio. The bias was too high due to a dirty pot which caused the final tubes (2 6js6a's)to over ark and over heat to the point that the glass softened and imploded. After tracking down another set of finals, cleaning the bias pot and tuning her up, well... the rest is history! She runs great! This one seems to really favor 20 meters and is putting out a solid 100+ watts. I am having a ball making contacts from coast to coast. If you can once get past the plain Jane black box look and love turning knobs you should give one a try. I have really come to like this homely little boat anchor.

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2008 20:29 Send this review to a friend
STILL FUN !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owen my Tempo one since 1976. It still works fine. I have done minor repairs from time to time. Almost any one can keep one of these radios going.. Still fun to operate.

73 de Ed

M0KXD Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2008 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an FT200/Tempo One ever since gaining my licence in 2002. It was the first commercially built HF rig I ever had, so I have a sentimental attatchment to it! However, I've had a lot of fun with it. It does take a while to warm up - but I've never had a problem with it drifting once it has, and I've used it almost exclusively for PSK31 and rtty on 20m and 40m,keeping the power well down. I once had to replace a resistor: the one that reduces the voltage from the tube circuits to provide power to the transistor vfo.
Incidentally, I've noticed there are more reviews of this rig filed under "FT200" (its alternative name).