Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | W9WBL Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for W9WBL Paddle
W9WBL Paddle Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Vertical design, twin lever, two spring iambic paddle
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the W9WBL Paddle.

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2000 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Great, but used will have to do  Time owned: months
I've had an order with Stan for about 16 months. Received a letter from him stating that he is discontinuing the paddle business and going into another business enterprise. That's too bad, because I used a friend's "WBL" and it was wonderful. In my opinion, Stan had one of the best and most underpriced paddles available.

K1JD Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 1999 13:20 Send this review to a friend
An Extraordinary Value!  Time owned: unknown months
Stan won't be rushed (my V22 took 8 months+), but the good news is his workmanship is flawless. The day it arrived, a thorough examination through an illuminated magnifier revealed not a single visible blemish of any kind. This paddle has a very crisp mechanical feel that speaks volumes about the precision and tight tolerances with which it has been designed and assembled. It costs about $140.00 which is put into perspective when you realize it is hand made - so many others are mass produced and cost nearly as much or more. The V22 model has many degrees of freedom in its adjustments and after a week I am still experimenting with the contact spacing and tension. Fortunately, adjustment is a breeze due to the thought which went into the design of the controls and the overall package. By the way, I tend to really slap a paddle around and Stan accommodated this with slightly heavier springs - how can you beat that kind of service! You just can't go wrong with this paddle.

WD8LXX Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 1999 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Extremely fine business!  Time owned: unknown months
This paddle is a gem. By setting the spacing to "micro-tolerances" the paddle is transparent - sending is effortless and you forget you're using a mechanical device. You can let guests adjust it to their preference because it's a snap to set-up and it can easily be returned to your liking. It's very solid, and the settings do not drift. The wait was long, as Stan told me he's "in no hurry to make a bad paddle" and that is readily apparent in his craftmanship.

N9BOR Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 1999 16:35 Send this review to a friend
High quality weapon for the serious cw op.  Time owned: unknown months
I ordered my V22 sight unseen because of all the talk on the cw reflector. 10-mos later I actually had one in my shack to play with. The paddle is made one at a time to ensure precision. It is a work of art. Stan will tell you that there is a reason for the way every part is made and assembled.

If you want flashy chrome bases, go someplace else. If you want a machine that allows every conceivable adjustment to suit the op, buy a WBL. I love looking at it almost as much as I enjoy using it.

Sorry but, according to Stan there are no plans for an optional "spell checker" in the near future.

W4PA Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 1999 15:59 Send this review to a friend
The last paddle I'll ever need...  Time owned: unknown months
...I bought this paddle on the recommendation of someone who is friends with W9WBL, knowing nothing about the quality or even what it looked like. I figured for $100 (comparable to Bencher and less than a Vibroplex Standard) how could I go wrong? I don't like it - I'll sell it, right?
The quality of craftsmanship has to been seen to be believed. This is the smoothest operating little device I have ever used. My trusty Bencher BY-1 went on eBay, never to be seen again. I'll never have to buy another paddle!

KT5X Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 1999 19:59 Send this review to a friend
a BEST BUY key  Time owned: unknown months
Stan makes these himself. His design is unique with the pivot in the vertical plane rather than the horizontal. He says it is the natural way. I don't know about that. It looks unconventional. it adjusts easily, holds its adjustment through wide temperature range, and it will easily adjust to micro-tolerances and stay there. It is heavy, a keyer can be built to fit within it, and it readily accepts one's own finger pieces (I like to make mine from fossil mammoth ivory). For just over a hundred bux, it is a steal.