Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil HTH Handie Talkie Headset Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HTH Handie Talkie Headset
Heil HTH Handie Talkie Headset Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$28.95
Description: The Handie Talkie Headset (HTH), from Heil Sound, is a single-sided,
lightweight headset designed for use with popular handheld transceivers.
The HTH provides hands free and discreet two-way communication while
maintaining the comfort necessary for extended use in moderate noise
environments. It features a left or right ear adaptable earpiece and an in-
line Push-to-Talk switch.The HTH is being introduced with pin-outs for
three handie talkies - iCom, Yaesu, and Kenwood/Baofeng - and plans are
underway to offer additional models.
HTH-I: Works with 2-pin Icom
HTH-Y: Works with TRRS Yaesu/Vertex*
HTH-K: Works with 2-pin Kenwood, Baofeng, an
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/headsets/handie-talkie-headset-hth

You can write your own review of the Heil HTH Handie Talkie Headset.

N3NJ Rating: 3/5 Feb 15, 2017 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Usable.....not the best...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, you get what you pay for I guess. It is affordable. Doesn't sound too bad. The connector jack is weak and has proven problematic for me. Audio reports were good. Don't expect too much, this unit is of inferior quality. Works OK in a pinch but inadequate for the long term. At least it didn't break the bank. 73 de N3NJ

W5MDB Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2016 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Plug Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought 2 HTH-Y sets for a Yaesu FT-60. They sound fine (nice and loud), and I get good audio reports, but there's a serious flaw. The plug keeps coming partly out of the socket causing the HT to go into transmit. There's no easy way to prevent this as the slightest strain causes it to move. I bought these because of the exact same problem with a no-name earbud/mic set from Amazon. On the other hand, the plug on a Yaesu-branded speaker/mic fits snugly. One other issue is that the headband does not adjust enough to fit smaller heads.

KD2GRS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2015 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Great performance, additional adapter required for ICOM ID-51  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the HTH-I, for ICOM radio's. I agree with prior reviewer. While there are cheaper headsets out there, the HTH costs less than many ICOM options. The HTH sound quality and volume for listening are excellent - I have to turn down volume considerably for comfortable listening. I get good reports of my audio with the boom mic and wind screen. I'm very happy with it.

There is one issue to be aware of when using this with an ICOM ID-51Plus HT. This is a water resistant radio and the speaker/mic connection is deeply recessed. The plug/pins on the HTH (or many other accessories) will not fit directly into the radio, you need to use the OPC-2006LS adapter. The OPC-2006LS is specially shaped and has a o-ring seal on it to preserve water resistance.

K0JEG Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2015 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive but very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At $29, the Heil HTH is about double the cost of the many headsets you can find on Amazon.com, but it is far, far better quality. In fact, I think it's better made than the BM10 headset I use on my HF rig! The headband is a vinyl coated metal band that is snug but not tight. The plastics are fairly thick and should take a lot of abuse. The earpiece has a fairly large diaphragm and plenty of output, and the "leather like" cover helps shield out wind and background noise. It also keeps moisture and sweat in your ear and that can be annoying over a long period. I used it when our club provided communications support to a charity bike ride, and by the afternoon my ear was very sweaty. A more open-ear design would have let more air through, but that also would have meant more background and wind noise too.

I did not perform any comprehensive tests on the microphone element, but audio reports are all positive. The mic is on a small flexible gooseneck so it can be put in any position you want and can be flipped around 180 degrees so that you can use the headset with either ear.

Finally, the in-line PTT switch is solid feeling with a definite "click" when you push it. It also has a clip on the back for attaching to a shirt or jacket. The cable running from the radio to the headset is long, but not too long that it gets in the way, at least for me (I'm 5' 10"). Make sure you order the headset with the correct connector for your radio.

As I get older I am finding it a little more difficult to hear an HT speaker. This headset is extremely effective and makes it easy to hear the other station. It also is great if you are in an area where you need to be a little more discrete. I'd love to see a dual-headphone and/or a version to replace the BM-10s with appropriate connectors.