Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI Compact-In-Line Help

Reviews Summary for BHI Compact-In-Line
BHI Compact-In-Line Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $259.00
Description: Battery Operated Compact DSP Noise Cancelling Module.
More info: http://www.bhi-ltd.com

You can write your own review of the BHI Compact-In-Line.

HB9VQQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Super satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the Compact-In-Line at a local Hamfest. Makes quite a difference ! Really suprised by how the DSP cuts out the noise floor when signals are weak. You really have to hear it to believe it. Only Problem I had was TX RF finding its way to the speakers through the Compact-In-Line. There is an extra section on BHI's website addressing these issues. Quickly sorted it out and pin pointed the problem to the 12V power source. Added a diode into the 12V cable and all fine.

Defintely recommend this product. It will improve weak signal readability quite significantly. Best addition to my RIG so far. Very satisfied, thank you BHI.

73's
Roland

KG5SAF Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2017 08:08 Send this review to a friend
You Need This  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi there! :)

I am using the KX3 and IC-7200 radios, both are great for the purposes I have for each. But I have a slight hearing problem and the noise floor is a constant S3 with bounces up to S4. I could hear dx signals but not clear enough to copy a call.

So I did a little research and found the bhi compact in-line DSP module. It is just a little fellow not much larger than a deck of cards - but wow!, there is magic in the box. Set up is easy, plug and play - plug it into the "phones" jack and plug in a speaker or phones and twist the dials. Yuge difference! Cut that noise like summer grass.

On the practical side, it allows me to eliminate perhaps 6 to 10db of background noise (it depends on the type/level of course and the strength of the signal i am attempting to isolate) But don't hold me to those numbers and your actual experience may vary. If I find a weak but readable signal (34, 33 or so) that is being blanketed by the noise floor (S3), I can generally cut the noise so that the (apparent) readability will come up so that I can copy and communicate. This won't move the signal up, but help move the floor down.

I have paired the bhi compact in-line DSP module with the Radio sport headphones - that is a winning combination for weak signal.

N3PS Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2017 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Love Mine, But . . l,  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found this unit to be much more useful and effective than the DNR built into my FTDX 3000 . . . . however, I'm rating it only a 4 because it is EXTREMELY sensitive to stray RF. If you have ANY stray RF in your shack, this unit will find it. Be prepared to invest in some ferrite if you buy this unit.

NZ8I Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2016 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Amazing DSP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well dudes, I had my eye on this little DSP unit for quite a while. Being in the Finance world for my day job, I knew when Brexit hit; the pound sterling would tumble. So I waited for the British pound to drop to ten year lows and I ordered this unit direct from BHI in England via PayPal. Saved a ton buying in USD $. And they had a summer sale too. So how does it work? How did I live without it? OMG amazing DSP. I have two transceivers, Alinco dx sr8t -no DSP;and an icom 7200 with DSP. Improves upon ssb, dw and digital on both rigs.
At night I hook it up to my Tecsun pl 600 portable while dozing and it is unbelievable as well. Now it does not have additional bandwidth filters and a "notch" like my JPS NIR -12 does. However it is absolutely amazing as a portable DSP unit. You must buy one of these if you are thinking about additional DSP for either older or newer rigs. I urge you to consider timing your purchase with the next British pound sell off and buy directly from BHI via PayPal as you will save many $.
73, NZ8I

K1BRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2016 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly surprised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted a better noise reduction solution for weak signal listening on my KX3, which has performance and usability issues with its internal DSP. I was apprehensive about the Compact In-Line based on its high cost plus the fact that the demos on on the BHI website only show examples of strong signal noise reduction.

Got mine today (had to order direct from their US reseller - http://www.gapantenna.com) and within 10 minutes I was very pleased with the unit's ability to clean up weak signals. A/B'ing the unit against raw KX3 audio and the KX3 DSP's processed audio, I quickly was able to tweak comprehensible weak signals that were otherwise lost in the mud. Pricey but worth it. Definitely a keeper!

KJ4FGI Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 21:55 Send this review to a friend
The Best keeps Getting Better!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A few years ago I purchased the BHI DSP and NEDSP Ė 1061 from W4RT.com, I installed it in my Kenwood TS Ė 440S, I was so amazed at the performance that I did a YouTube video on it.

I then purchased one for my ICOM 706MKIIG and installed it inside the radio, again I was so impressed it was much better than the DSP that came with the ICOM. For my Kenwood TS 520S, I purchased the NEDSP Ė 1062 which is an amplified version made to install in an external speaker not in the radio.

I installed it in a metal project box so that I could use it for multiple radios. I am now using it with my Kenwood TS 950S digital.

Well, when the BHI compact in-line noise eliminating module came out, I purchased it, again BHI did it again, the new algorithm used is much better than the previous models, but then you pay for what you get.

This basically eliminates all the static noise without degrading the voice at all it doesnít even cut down the volume.
I use this with my Elecraft KX3, the DSP in the Elecraft is okay, you cannot put a complicated DSP unit in the KX 3 due to its size, but the KX3 is an awesome radio but thatís another story.

I would recommend this BHI DSP unit, highly recommend it as a must-have, if you have the money to buy the Elecraft KX3, purchased this unit, youíll wonder how you ever did without it.

I did a YouTube video on the BHI DSP for my Kenwood TS-440sat, ICOM and my Kenwood TS-520S Iím going to have to do one on of the Elecraft KX3 with the BHI compact in-line noise eliminating module.

This module can be used with any radio it is not installed inside a radio itís battery-operated or external DC power 8 to 16 Volts.

G6IYD Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Another excellent product from BHI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This new product from BHI certainly is compact, and being battery operated is ideal for portable use. it will accept any audio input (3.5mm sockets) and can be switched between stereo and mono. Output is for headphones, but this socket can be used for an external powered speaker.

The Compact-In-Line is simple to operate, although using the rotary controls was initially a little confusing. The knobs rotate 360 degrees, but in practice, using the audio tones via the headphone socket to indicate the filter and volume levels works well.

The new algorithm used in the latest BHI products will resolve speech from a high level of background noise. Even on the lowest filter setting, there is a marked improvement in noise reduction. I tried it on AM, FM and SSB and was very impressed with this pocket sized device. It isn't exactly cheap to buy, but like other BHI products, you get what you pay for and I would have no reservations about recommending it to other Hams and SW listeners.

Batteries (2 AA cells) are not included, but a 3.5mm audio lead, and a fused DC lead for connecting to an external supply are in the box.