Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-100D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-100D
Yaesu FTM-100D Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $480.00
Description: The FTM-100DR VHF/UHF Dual Band Transceiver, an exciting new
way to enter into Yaesu's revolutionary world of System
Fusion C4FM Digital Communications. The FTM-100DR's single
receiver design provides 50 solid Watts of RF power on both
the 144 and 430 MHz amateur radio bands, while still being
host to a feature packed suite of both C4FM Digital and FM
Analog communications capabilities that fit every amateur
radio operators needs.

Designed with simplicity and convenience in mind, the FTM-
100DR's highly visible and compact 160 x 40 pixel graphical
dot-matrix display can be detached from the body of the
radio and remotely mounted providing even more installation
options. This vibrant white LED backlit display provides a
clear and crisp view of the radios current operating status,
not limited to GPS Information, SD Card status, and
Operating band name/memory channel tags (Alphanumeric).

The FTM-100DR operates in three (3) Digital modes and an (1)
Analog mode to suit your needs. This feature packed radio is
our first Digital Mobile equipped with our new Automatic
Mode Select (AMS) function that instantly detects the
received signal mode. The AMS function enables stress-free
operation and eliminates the need to manually switch between
communication modes.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=3F8B6B6AF1EC22B82F01E68C1E0F0BA6&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-100D.

K4ETN Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2017 06:42 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I made the switch to Fusion back in spring of 2016 when I upgraded one of my analog 440 repeaters to a DR-1X. Several other owners and clubs in my area also upgraded, so the number of repeaters grew rapidly in the area.

I chose the FTM-100 due to it's similarity to the FT-7900's that I had in both vehicles. The display doesn't washout in sunlight and is easily readable with sunglasses on. This is a big plus in my book.

As others have stated, this radio requires that YOU READ THE MANUAL! That said, you can spend a lot of wasted time trying to figure the setup menus if you don't. It's not your average 2m radio.

Performance wise, no issues. Excellent receiver and stable transmitter in both analog and digital modes. Audio quality is outstanding in C4FM.

Not one issue with any of the three units I have in mobile service.

Those who complain about the lack of a mic jack on the control head (ala the FT-7900/8900) with the GPS receiver in the head, there was no room for a microphone jack.

Mic extensions are a simple fix with RJ-12 connectors and a coupler. Or purchase one off EBay.

Currently priced at $309.95 from all of the major players, you get a lot of bang for your buck on this radio.

AB9VJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 4, 2017 21:12 Send this review to a friend
First and last Yaesu  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always been a Kenwood guy but my buddies always go on and on about Yaesu radios. Our club installed a Fusion system so I figured I would give it a try. The system works well and I enjoy using it. The radio is another story.

It was mounted mobile in my truck. It had been installed about 1 year and 2 months when the big event happened. Our club was working a big bike event that I was participating in. I wanted to call net control to let them know I was back. They were using a local 440 repeater. It was most likely the first time I used that repeater myself. Well I started my report to net control and the radio shut down suddenly. I tried to power it back up but it would not do so. It was dreadfully hot, you couldn't touch it. I gave up as I was tired having just rode 87 miles on my bike. Two blocks away smoke began coming from my powered off radio. It was even hotter. I had to pull the fuses to stop what could have been a really bad situation.

I sent it back to Yaesu service in August 2017 I didn't receive it back until November 2017. Even though it was two months out of warranty they did the repair free of charge. I don't have any idea what was wrong but they fixed it.

Just prior to this failure I had purchased the Bluetooth module but didn't have it installed. So after it got back I opened the radio to install the module. Well to my surprise there was a Bluetooth module installed but it was plugged into the voice guide position. Some poor guy didn't get his Bluetooth module back I guess. Well I moved it to the correct position. I tried to pair up my Bose QC35 top of the range headset to the radio. It wouldn't pair. I sent a request to Yaesu customer service for some advise. They responded by saying "Please note we are sorry but Yaesu makes no representation that our bluetooth will work with any aftermarket device, so it is possible the Sony device is not compatible."

So they are saying they only promise that Yaesu headsets are guaranteed to work with this module. Oh by the way all the Yaesu headsets are discontinued. I've found internet sites where guys have found headsets that will work so I guess I will get one of those.

For some reason this wasn't enough punishment, I bought the voice guide module as well. It did work more or less but not like the manual stated. I won't go into detail but I'm not impressed with that one either.

Of course you can't use APRS and receive another repeater at the same time alone with all sorts of non-multitasking problems.

The audio isn't bad and the Fusion system is fun to mess with but this radio stinks on ice man.

KC0VOE Rating: 0/5 Nov 25, 2017 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Nope  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this as a wires node and sometimes it operates as a node other times I take it mobile. It is a really boring radio. There are a lot of little annoyances, intermod, audio problems when the temp is really cold, aprs crippling the entire rig. C4FM is a useless mode. AMS is an annoying feature. Itís annoying that the audio mutes when you go into the menu, itís like the radio can not multitask or has severe adhd or something. My rating is a zero.

KM6LMD Rating: 3/5 Nov 16, 2017 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio to replace my FT-7900R as a base station UHF/VHF so I can dabble with digital. I planned on installing my FT-7900 in my vehicle.

I am using a Heil mic to replace the Yaesu mic so I can share mics and headset etc using MFJ-1263 between my UHF/VHF and HF radios.

With this radio, I MUST use the factory mic to utilize the scanning function. For me, this is a big miss.

So now I will have to install this radio in my vehicle and put my FT-7900R back into service as a base UHF/VHF station.

N7JPF Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2017 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Clean Radio, easy program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The local repeaters have gone to System Fusion, and being a member of Emer.Serv. I needed to get on board. I have not cared for the feel of the 400, so have waited. Now I got the 100, and really like the feel of it. I did not purchase programming software, as I have manually and field programmed many radios, and this one is not difficult to program memories manually. Took me about an hour or two to program 20 memories, and since it will be a base, no need to program any mems out of the area. It is a nice radio, and so far seems to have a better receive than my older kenwood 2/440... I think it will be excellent for what I need, and give me the Digital that is required locally. Gud job Yaesu

NK7J Rating: 2/5 Sep 19, 2017 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Follow up, not so good.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So I still like some of the features of the radio, you can read my earlier review about it.
I have two of these radios, both mounted in vehicles. Both have had issues with heat/cold. One of them the speaker quit working, it works fine with external speaker. Started when the weather turned warmer this summer.

The 2nd radio developed a similar issue, intermittent audio when its cold in the mornings.

Both of them have noticeable noise on the analog transmit signal once you get them warm from transmitting. I have experimented with them and the noise starts after about 10 mins of back of forth conversation. At first I thought it was vehicle noise but I brought one to the bench and could easily duplicate it on a very stable power supply. Most of the time its not too terrible, I could measure it around .5Khz of deviation but if you let it get nice and warm it peaks around 1.2Khz.

So needless to say I am far less impressed now than a few months back.

SAPPHIRE Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2017 01:04 Send this review to a friend
Good rx good tx  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great receiver with great sensitivity for small signals, powerful transmitter with over 50 watts in vhf and uhf and adjustable modulation. Small but well-readable display. Low power consumption especially in reception, good for the car battery.

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2017 13:57 Send this review to a friend
pleasantly surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First I was a bit skeptic but now I am positively surprised!
I did the firmware update and the first settings without any problems. The receiver seems to be very sensitive. The readability of the display is fine and the menue-structure is understandable and logical for me. The fan is relatively quiet and not so loud than the original fan (I changed it) from my FT-7900. Also it is only running after some seconds transmitting and not during receive.

Of course there is a lot to learn about the new possibilities of this radio, but thats the fun!

SQ5TSS Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2017 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned my ftm-100de for a few months now, and I am totally satisfied with it. The controls are laid out logically and are easy to understand. The display is bright and clear and not unnecessarily complicated. The receiver is sensitive, and contacts report great audio. Air band has a beautiful sound

SQ5TSS Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2017 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this little radio for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased with it. Like others have said, it is a joy to use.
The loudspeaker for the radio is great. Most of the time I add an external speaker to a radio because my hearing is not what it used to be. Not with this radio, I am using the stock speaker with no problems. For the price, you cannot go wrong with this radio.
Audio Am Air band is excellent