Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-100D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-100D
Yaesu FTM-100D Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $480.00
Description: The FTM-100DR VHF/UHF Dual Band Transceiver, an exciting new
way to enter into Yaesu's revolutionary world of System
Fusion C4FM Digital Communications. The FTM-100DR's single
receiver design provides 50 solid Watts of RF power on both
the 144 and 430 MHz amateur radio bands, while still being
host to a feature packed suite of both C4FM Digital and FM
Analog communications capabilities that fit every amateur
radio operators needs.

Designed with simplicity and convenience in mind, the FTM-
100DR's highly visible and compact 160 x 40 pixel graphical
dot-matrix display can be detached from the body of the
radio and remotely mounted providing even more installation
options. This vibrant white LED backlit display provides a
clear and crisp view of the radios current operating status,
not limited to GPS Information, SD Card status, and
Operating band name/memory channel tags (Alphanumeric).

The FTM-100DR operates in three (3) Digital modes and an (1)
Analog mode to suit your needs. This feature packed radio is
our first Digital Mobile equipped with our new Automatic
Mode Select (AMS) function that instantly detects the
received signal mode. The AMS function enables stress-free
operation and eliminates the need to manually switch between
communication modes.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=3F8B6B6AF1EC22B82F01E68C1E0F0BA6&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-100D.

AF5IU Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2017 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No thanks to HRO who refused to do business with me because I returned a few radios 3 years ago, I got my hands on this little jewel from another online company. This is my second C4FM radio. I received the FTM-3200 several days ago. That is also a great radio but that one only transmits in digital narrow or 6.25KHz. No thanks to Yaesu technical support, I found this out myself because they knew nothing about that radio. The FTM-100 will allow full 12.5KHz wide digital transmission for voice only. The fan on this radio is also VERY QUIET like the one on the FTM-3200 despite what you hear from other hams. I use both radios in my home. I am hooked on C4FM now. Yaesu, keep up the good work!

N7IGW Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2017 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had it 4 days but I am impressed, so much and so small , good audio from the stock speaker.
I have owned several dual band radios over the last 25 years and this one is as good as any of them, maybe even better.
I had to use a hand me down PC for programing because I have a Mac ( They don 't make software for it ( RT Systems is working on that ) and that caused some connection issues. But after several attempts it worked and all is good.Plus it comes with everything you need, I recommend you use the RT Systems software ( the Yaesu program they provide is very hard to use (read bad) it would not find the radio, the RT program worked smoothly no issues. 73s
They are on sale at HRO for $295.95 and at that price for all it will do you can't beat it. I will come back with an in depth review after using it for some time

N4THC Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2016 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Read Display  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Prior to this, I owned a Kenwood TM-731a for 26years as my mobile/base dual band. What led me to the FTM-100DR was the digital capability as well as the APRS. I was not needing true receive two frequencies at once in a radio. The display on it is so easy to read. I also like how the APRS messages are accessed and display. If you are wanting to get deep into APRS though, you must dedicate this radio to just that. Receiving APRS is fine but to transmit, you must dedicate it to that mode.

I moved this radio to the car. I missed it so much, I had to buy a second one for in the house.

Only negative comment is the PTT on the mic is WAY too easy to activate.

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 23:58 Send this review to a friend
Good packages  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Love all the functions in this package. Use the radio mainly for aprs and fm/fusion. Even indoors it manage to pick up satellites. The previous reviewer told about Windows 10. Plugging in the supplied usb cable my windows 10 recognized it without any problems and configured a com port. Worked out of the box to read and write from an to the radio.

KV4AN Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Multi-Purpose Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FTM-100 is a good all-purpose VHF/UHF mobile radio. You can do FM, Fusion digital, or APRS. I had a Kenwood D700 once and this radio doesn't have as good a display or menu system, but I like the built-in GPS and smaller package. It looks great in my Jeep. The menu system is a little cumbersome to use and the buttons are hard to press (they are small and slightly recessed and you have to push them way in to select them). Other than that, the radio operates great and the Fusion over-the-air sound is spectacular.
Two problems make it a "4" and not a "5" - First, the microphone plugs in to the radio body and not the control head, like the other Yaesu mobiles I've had (FT-8900 and FT-7900). Kind of hard to reach the microphone when it is in the trunk or under the seat. Second, the software doesn't work on Windows 10 due to some sort of incompatibility between Prolific USB and Windows 10. It just won't connect with the radio. A brand new radio software that is not compatible with the current version of Windows!...like Dr. Phil says "What were you thinkin?"

G8HUA Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2016 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Needs help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a FTM-100DE and have to say I love it apart from one thing , Pager breakthrough. I live in an elevated clear position 600' asl so well open to interference , several 2 m channels unusable due to pager qrm. Building a filter to try cure it.
On the plus side easy to use and Fusion voice quality is superb. If only they made Ham gear for Ham bands making the front end alot more selective it would be great. If I want wideband I would buy a scanner. G8HUA

G8UBJ Rating: 2/5 Jul 9, 2016 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Intermodulation issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is probably the first time I have given Yaesu a poor rating but it suffers terrible intermodulation from 153Mhz paging systems making FM virtually unusable.

Whilst I live about a mile from the source of interference its never been a problem for me on previous rigs (FT7800, FT7900, FT-2800). In fact i never even knew there was a paging site near until I purchased this rig.

I believe this is a design issue and will try building a notch filter. Why Yaesu allowed this to slip through to production I will probably never know.

If they can't find a cure I guess its just another junk rig to be avoided.

Given the problems I'm experiencing I cannot recommend this radio to anyone living in the UK

VE2YU Rating: 1/5 Jun 30, 2016 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Disapointed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this rig now for 9 months and I am very disapointed. I have an issue while I am talking on the repeater I go all garbled then clear. I can get into the 3 repeaters it does it on with one watt so I should not have a problem with 50 watts. Tried installing it in my car I now have d-star and dmr in there all works 100% installed the FT100 and on high power I get the same issue. Returned it to Yaesu in California and waited 3 weeks heard nothing so I called strange I was told the tech was just looking at it. He called today and I went over again the issues I have and what I tried and I said it has been driving me crazy and his response was well when you get it back it still will because they claim nothing wrong... Well I guess my fusion repeater will get used for something else because I will leave it in the box as I cannot use it the way it. Too bad I thought Yaesu had much better customer service.

SM3WEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2016 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using it for APRS and local repeaters from home i can say this little tranceiver shows that Yaesu can if they want. Flawless operation and easily programmable.
You need to read AND UNDERSTAND the manual first though. It's an advanced radio and some things aren't that apparent. Many people who whine about this radio being fiddly i bet haven't even opend the book that comes with it. I have the FTM-350 in my car and it's a solid performer that one too.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great APRS box in this form factor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio to use for APRS with everything neatly included, ie: modem, GPS and decoding. The form factor with the screen attached to the main unit works well in my van. I like how the beacons pop up on the dot-matrix screen, and the waypoint data can be piped out the back through the DATA COM port into a PC or tablet for mapping.

- The 66 channel GPS really works fantastic. It picked up 10 satellites in under 30 seconds located in my van mounted UNDERNEATH the dashboard, inside my GARAGE. And that's on first power up straight out of the box. Wow.

- The screen is gorgeous and modern, without being too flashy (like I find the FTM-400 is)

- This radio has a SINGLE receiver only. Although it makes reference to two "bands" A and B, these are essentially just memory banks. It has "dual watch" but this (stupidly) only works with the "home" channel - You can't set it to dual watch frequency A & B! You can set the interval it checks the other band, eg 0.3 seconds, 1 seconds, the default is 5 seconds. So transmissions shorter than that on the watched "home" frequency will be missed.

- The data cable (USB->Serial) is included in the box. Bravo.

- Build quality is great, the knobs and buttons feel solid with a definite 'click' to the buttons which I like. They are not soft mushy buttons where you have no idea if you've pressed it or not.

- Audio from the internal speaker is good. Unfortunately the face only mounts one way so the speaker HAS to face up. I tried to dremel the plastic detents on the main body to accept the faceplate upside-down, however this didn't work because the hooks on the face are ever so slightly offset (less than 1mm) between right and left, and thus they don't click in upside down.

I'm happy with this purchase. I have done APRS cheaper by cobbling together a 2m radio with a mobilinkd and an old phone, but I wanted something where I didn't have to worry about turning 3 different things on every time, connecting via bluetooth etc.

The APRS features are as good as on my Kenwood TM-D710G, with QSY function, messaging and all that.