Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-100D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-100D
Yaesu FTM-100D Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $480.00
Description: The FTM-100DR VHF/UHF Dual Band Transceiver, an exciting new
way to enter into Yaesu's revolutionary world of System
Fusion C4FM Digital Communications. The FTM-100DR's single
receiver design provides 50 solid Watts of RF power on both
the 144 and 430 MHz amateur radio bands, while still being
host to a feature packed suite of both C4FM Digital and FM
Analog communications capabilities that fit every amateur
radio operators needs.

Designed with simplicity and convenience in mind, the FTM-
100DR's highly visible and compact 160 x 40 pixel graphical
dot-matrix display can be detached from the body of the
radio and remotely mounted providing even more installation
options. This vibrant white LED backlit display provides a
clear and crisp view of the radios current operating status,
not limited to GPS Information, SD Card status, and
Operating band name/memory channel tags (Alphanumeric).

The FTM-100DR operates in three (3) Digital modes and an (1)
Analog mode to suit your needs. This feature packed radio is
our first Digital Mobile equipped with our new Automatic
Mode Select (AMS) function that instantly detects the
received signal mode. The AMS function enables stress-free
operation and eliminates the need to manually switch between
communication modes.
More info: http://https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=3F8B6B6AF1EC22B82F01E68C1E0F0BA6&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-100D.

KV4AN Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Multi-Purpose Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FTM-100 is a good all-purpose VHF/UHF mobile radio. You can do FM, Fusion digital, or APRS. I had a Kenwood D700 once and this radio doesn't have as good a display or menu system, but I like the built-in GPS and smaller package. It looks great in my Jeep. The menu system is a little cumbersome to use and the buttons are hard to press (they are small and slightly recessed and you have to push them way in to select them). Other than that, the radio operates great and the Fusion over-the-air sound is spectacular.
Two problems make it a "4" and not a "5" - First, the microphone plugs in to the radio body and not the control head, like the other Yaesu mobiles I've had (FT-8900 and FT-7900). Kind of hard to reach the microphone when it is in the trunk or under the seat. Second, the software doesn't work on Windows 10 due to some sort of incompatibility between Prolific USB and Windows 10. It just won't connect with the radio. A brand new radio software that is not compatible with the current version of Windows!...like Dr. Phil says "What were you thinkin?"

G8HUA Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2016 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Needs help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a FTM-100DE and have to say I love it apart from one thing , Pager breakthrough. I live in an elevated clear position 600' asl so well open to interference , several 2 m channels unusable due to pager qrm. Building a filter to try cure it.
On the plus side easy to use and Fusion voice quality is superb. If only they made Ham gear for Ham bands making the front end alot more selective it would be great. If I want wideband I would buy a scanner. G8HUA

G8UBJ Rating: 2/5 Jul 9, 2016 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Intermodulation issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is probably the first time I have given Yaesu a poor rating but it suffers terrible intermodulation from 153Mhz paging systems making FM virtually unusable.

Whilst I live about a mile from the source of interference its never been a problem for me on previous rigs (FT7800, FT7900, FT-2800). In fact i never even knew there was a paging site near until I purchased this rig.

I believe this is a design issue and will try building a notch filter. Why Yaesu allowed this to slip through to production I will probably never know.

If they can't find a cure I guess its just another junk rig to be avoided.

Given the problems I'm experiencing I cannot recommend this radio to anyone living in the UK

VE2YU Rating: 1/5 Jun 30, 2016 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Disapointed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this rig now for 9 months and I am very disapointed. I have an issue while I am talking on the repeater I go all garbled then clear. I can get into the 3 repeaters it does it on with one watt so I should not have a problem with 50 watts. Tried installing it in my car I now have d-star and dmr in there all works 100% installed the FT100 and on high power I get the same issue. Returned it to Yaesu in California and waited 3 weeks heard nothing so I called strange I was told the tech was just looking at it. He called today and I went over again the issues I have and what I tried and I said it has been driving me crazy and his response was well when you get it back it still will because they claim nothing wrong... Well I guess my fusion repeater will get used for something else because I will leave it in the box as I cannot use it the way it. Too bad I thought Yaesu had much better customer service.

SM3WEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2016 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using it for APRS and local repeaters from home i can say this little tranceiver shows that Yaesu can if they want. Flawless operation and easily programmable.
You need to read AND UNDERSTAND the manual first though. It's an advanced radio and some things aren't that apparent. Many people who whine about this radio being fiddly i bet haven't even opend the book that comes with it. I have the FTM-350 in my car and it's a solid performer that one too.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great APRS box in this form factor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio to use for APRS with everything neatly included, ie: modem, GPS and decoding. The form factor with the screen attached to the main unit works well in my van. I like how the beacons pop up on the dot-matrix screen, and the waypoint data can be piped out the back through the DATA COM port into a PC or tablet for mapping.

- The 66 channel GPS really works fantastic. It picked up 10 satellites in under 30 seconds located in my van mounted UNDERNEATH the dashboard, inside my GARAGE. And that's on first power up straight out of the box. Wow.

- The screen is gorgeous and modern, without being too flashy (like I find the FTM-400 is)

- This radio has a SINGLE receiver only. Although it makes reference to two "bands" A and B, these are essentially just memory banks. It has "dual watch" but this (stupidly) only works with the "home" channel - You can't set it to dual watch frequency A & B! You can set the interval it checks the other band, eg 0.3 seconds, 1 seconds, the default is 5 seconds. So transmissions shorter than that on the watched "home" frequency will be missed.

- The data cable (USB->Serial) is included in the box. Bravo.

- Build quality is great, the knobs and buttons feel solid with a definite 'click' to the buttons which I like. They are not soft mushy buttons where you have no idea if you've pressed it or not.

- Audio from the internal speaker is good. Unfortunately the face only mounts one way so the speaker HAS to face up. I tried to dremel the plastic detents on the main body to accept the faceplate upside-down, however this didn't work because the hooks on the face are ever so slightly offset (less than 1mm) between right and left, and thus they don't click in upside down.

I'm happy with this purchase. I have done APRS cheaper by cobbling together a 2m radio with a mobilinkd and an old phone, but I wanted something where I didn't have to worry about turning 3 different things on every time, connecting via bluetooth etc.

The APRS features are as good as on my Kenwood TM-D710G, with QSY function, messaging and all that.

N8DJR Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2016 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think most of the negative reviews are by hams who don't read the manual, if you take a look at their complaints the answers to solve their radios inadequacies are in the manual. I researched the radio before I bought it knowing all of it's features and functions, including any shortcomings if you want to call them that. The radio performs as described by Yaesu and does what you want it to do, the audio quality on C4FM is unbelievably clear and will clean up a scratchy noisy FM signal that has white noise and hiss on it to crystal clear audio. It's amazing the difference between the two and makes communicating long range over challenging distances better on C4FM. Full functioning GPS system for the APRS including text messages incoming and out going are great, the GPS even tells you how fast your driving and gives you the distance from the stations your are receiving. There are so many features and menus one could get lost but Yaesu has put most all of them in a neat menu system that is easily accessed and scrolled through to select the function you need to change or adjust. It takes some patients and getting used too but if you take the time read the manual and practice you will enjoy this radio it has a lot of very good features that no other mobile radios on the market can even touch.

W0FAA Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Very capable great value in a dual-band single-receiver design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At this price the radio looked so good that I decided to get one to play with. The description above covers the technical details of the radio well, so I'll concentrate on my experiences.

I bought this radio to add the Yaesu System Fusion (YSF) modes to my mobile. Both YSF and FM work great through our two local YSF repeaters and on simplex. I think the radio looks good, there's plenty of audio, and the display can be adjusted from very dim to very bright. I like the inclusion of the programming cable, the remote mounting cable, and even a stereo to mono 1/8 inch plug adapter so you don't blow out your audio amp by using a mono speaker plug.

The included microphone is a mixed bag. Transmit audio sounds great and it has the usual feature-spanning matrix of control buttons, but it is very light and the Push-To-Talk button is very easy to engage. I have to be careful when holding the microphone with my thumb on the PTT not to inadvertently key. Holding it a bit lower towards the middle of the mic helps. I am considering opening it and putting some weights inside to improve the feel, and seeing if there is an easy way to add more resistance to keying.

Yaesu System Fusion is pretty easy, but some things require a bit of thinking and working with settings. FM/Digital is NOT stored per memory (Firmware update PLEASE!!!) so it is up to you to ensure you have the correct mode selected before keying. Automatic Mode Select (AMS) is Yaesu's answer to simplifying this process and setting how it works requires going into the TX/RX menu, then AMS TX Mode, then selecting the mode.

The simplest setting is to leave it on AUTO so whatever the radio heard last is what it will transmit. This works remarkably well for matching modes and only fails if the last signal you received does not match a quiet machine you tune to manually. If the machine happens to be active it's not an issue.

If you have a mixed-mode repeater in range you may want to use a digital uplink. The output in mixed mode is always FM and of course you want to be able to hear that too. You accomplish that by choosing DN or VW for the AMS transmit mode. The radio will change to FM mode when it receives the FM output of the mixed-mode repeater, but will transmit DN or VW when you key. If you park on a mixed-mode YSF repeater like I do, that is ideal. Just remember to change modes when you need to talk on an analog machine. A push (or two) of the Dx (digital transmit mode) button takes care of that.

FM is also an option you might choose if you scan both FM and digital frequencies, to ensure you hear any mode but have the radio switch back to FM before you transmit. This will make sure you never forget and transmit digital into an analog repeater. You would have to manually select a digital mode if necessary before transmitting.

Last there is Manual mode. If you want to retain full AMS but have the ability to change your transmit mode on short notice, this works well. AMS sets you to whatever you received, but a quick click on the PTT does not transmit but instead toggles you between DN and FM. Pressing PTT for more than about 1/10 second keys normally.

I don't use Group Monitor so I can't evaluate it, but it will be interesting as YSF grows.

You can see there is a lot of versatility in how you configure your analog/digital preferences.

The single-receiver design forces some compromises of course. I have yet to figure out a good way to do APRS and FM at the same time using the dual-watch function, but it may be possible. APRS can be very complicated to configure correctly no matter what radio or TNC is used. Yaesu and Icom deserve credit for writing what amount to introductory manuals on APRS for their radios. When properly configured, the sensitive GPS receiver and the APRS functions work very well. Just don't blame Yaesu (or Icom) if you can't figure it out, it's not their system.

Single-receiver is fine for me when scanning. The memory layout is a flat 500 memories for the A bank and another 500 for B. These are completely separate and even have different "tabs" in the programming software, which does work. Unlike Kenwood's wonderful linked banks of 100 channels, Yaesu only allows setting memories to scan selectively, normal, or exclude. This effectively creates two "banks" for each VFO. "Selected" memories such as for local stuff, or "ALL" (except excluded) for the rest. Having A and B separate helps, effectively upping the number of "banks" to 4.

There is a shortcut I almost missed in the manual. Instead of drilling down 3 menu levels to change a memory from selected, off, or skip, just press the large "Band" button on the top right of the radio briefly. I need to reread the manual with an eye to other such gems which I think should be more prominently displayed. Overall the manual is good with few typos and good use of American English.

This is a very solid digital YSF capable dual-bander. If beaconing APRS while talking is not a priority for you then this is a great value. If it is you will be better served by the FTM-400D.

N3RSJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2016 15:11 Send this review to a friend
New: FTM-100DR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new FTM-100DR.
Radio nice feel and construction
1# Mic cord is awful needs a recall.
2# free software on yeasu site nightmare!
A# ADMS-9 requires win 7 & up no xp
B# Needed Microsoft framework
Needed Su-20 driver& prolific driver.
+ software No desktop icon created.
Also all drivers req. extraction
3# Radio reciever good no overload.
4# Contrast adjustment no versitile.
Dim display - works looks good.
Radio comunicates good once you
get it set up.

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2016 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Value!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A great little radio that is packed with many features. I actually own two of these gems. My first one is set up at my home QTH as a Digital Wires-X Node. It's running 24/7 on high power (50w) without any issues. Having a Fusion Node here in my local area has been fun since we currently have no Fusion Repeaters nearby. I'm getting about 12 miles coverage with it. The radio runs cool and the fan is not loud. Setting up a Wires-X node was too easy with this radio. Just plug in the HRI-200 to the back of the 10 pin din and your ready to go.

My second radio is mounted in my F150 Pickup. I have the optional MLS-200-M10 External Speaker and radio audio is great for mobile use! The built in GPS unit works great with fast satellite locks. APRS works great and also the Digital mode with Wires-X features are nice to have. The control head has a nice display on it and it's easy to see during the daylight hours. I only wish there was an easier way to adjust brightness rather than going into the setup menu. A night display setting would have been nice. It would have been nice to adjust the control head brightness from the microphone. The microphone PTT button is too sensitive! It's very easy to key the radio unexpectedly. I've done it several times just by having my finger resting on the button without any pressure.