Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | EFHW-8010 8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna Help

Reviews Summary for EFHW-8010 8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna
EFHW-8010  8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna Reviews: 51 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: End-Fed Half Wave (EFHW) antenna for 80/40/30/20/17/15/12
and 10m bands, NO TUNER NEEDED.
More info: http://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010/

You can write your own review of the EFHW-8010 8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna.

WB6OUE Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2017 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this antenna, and installed it a couple days ago. The antenna feed is at 13 feet, and the middle sections at 22 feet. The end section at 10 feet. One end is pointing North, and the other pointing south. My first call was to a station on the boarder of Idaho, and Canada. (about 950 miles from me) He was directly north of me, which I was not expecting any good radiation from that direction. He said my signal was 59 +20!!! My second contact was to a station in Japan, and he too was running a wire antenna. I am a very happy camper.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2017 06:55 Send this review to a friend
A winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this antenna for over a year.After a windstorm the original wire broke at the coil.I replaced it with #14 Flexweave.It performs beautifully on all bands and with low swr.Compares favorably to the ocf dipole which is much higher. One end is at a chain-link fence only 4 feet high and the other on a Pine tree at 25 ft.Used it on both Summer and Winter Field days and worked rare dx both times,running 100w.Great antenna and great service.Highly recommended!

K6EB Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2017 16:24 Send this review to a friend
All I can say is "WOW!"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am one of those with limited space. I never thought I was going to do better than my G5RV until I switched to the EFHW 8010. It hears better and the audio reports on the other end are fantastic. Mine is only up about 25-28 feet in an "L" formation, but always beats all my expectations. I thought the feedback and comments on this antenna must be "rigged." But now I know that probably people would give it a SIX if they could. I would. Danny is easily accessible and the communications with "My Antennas" is top notch. I run at max on my AL-811 H, so I got the 2KW model to be on the safe side. I use an Ni4L choke at the transformer and at the rig, so I have very little noise. I can heartily recommend this antenna!

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2017 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Works pretty good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this last year for Field Day but was not able to participate due to an emergency. Deployed this year by shooting it up over a maple tree and anchoring it to a 4 foot electric fence postn on each end. Added 4 45 foot radials in an X pattern on the ground. Worked as advertised, although it was resonate slightly below 80 meters, according to my AIM4170. On 20 meters it received signals about the same as my cobweb antenna that I had also deployed. Overall, I'm happy with the antenna!

K5NJE Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2017 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Makes me look like a genius  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm just going to copy / past what I e-mailed Danny:

Hi Danny,

Check this out.. Shortened the feed line as short as possible, extended the half wave wire another 10 feet to about 140' with the bend. Now my end fed half wave is naturally resonant w/o any tuning in every voice ham band from 80 to 10 meters.. 160m and 6m is workable w/ a tuner too. I’m talking over the top of almost everyone during contests w/o effort. One guy in British Columbia paused his contest momentum to say “BEAUTIFUL SIGNAL” and another guy in Havana, 5/9’s! One guy in Quebec was like “I see you are a new HAM, you are coming in like the big boys, what kind of linear are you running?” I say “barefoot”.. He comes back with “Well it’s obvious you know what you are doing!” One guy from Sarasota said “Unbelievable that you are only running 100W, strongest signal I’ve heard today”. One contact in the UK said I came in on top of 5 other people. I got this thing so dialed in, I don’t even use the auto tuner… Your product is making me look like a genius and I'm a new HAM. Couldn't be happier given the fact that I'm in an HOA and I'm using 24 ga magnet wire here in Dallas!

-Randy

KK7L Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2017 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice & lightweight for DXpeditions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took an EFHW-8010 out to Tuvalu last month to operate as T2R and worked pileup after pileup at 500 watts without a tuner on all bands (except on 30 meters where, as others have posted, the SWR is close to 3:1 so I had to run barefoot with the rig’s internal tuner). I seriously logged ALL BANDS with this thing: from nighttime contest Q’s on 80 to daytime openings in 10 meters it worked great. At only 5 lbs including mounting hardware this antenna is tough to beat for DXpeditioning. Throw in a spool of lightweight Mastrant rope, find a ground rod locally, hire some kids to climb coconut trees, and you are in business. I left the antenna with local operator Tili (T2AT) and he is really enjoying it. I can’t recommend this antenna enough.

KJ4FGI Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2017 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My name is Eddie, I live in a HOA community, I am blessed to have a stream and woods behind me to help conceal my experimentation of antennas. I could only build Random wire or EFHW antennas.

I have spent a lot of time, although I did enjoy doing it and had gratification on results; none had excellent results across the Ham bands as the Myantennas 8010EFHW antenna.

I have been playing around with antenna configurations since I got licensed in 2007, different lengths of wire, different sizes and mixes of toroids and enclosures to house the toroids/balun/unun/chokes.All trying to get the right configuration, I spent a lot of time and a lot of money.

I read an article in QST about Myantennas 8010 EFHW antenna, pondered the idea of purchasing one. I purchased the antenna, I set it up in a reverse inverted L, at the last 20 or so feet in goes down on a 30 degree angle.

The result was: excellent on reception; it even lowered the noise level not giving up any S units.

I have a 5 position antenna switch, 3 which I use with my other Random and EFHW homemade antennas and an SGC230 remote antenna tuner. Comparing them all the Myantennas 8010efhw does a better job with lower noise level.

I am very happy and will purchase one for portable work using my KX3 and KXPA100, now I will only have to carry one antenna.
I highly recommend it.

VA3GVS Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2017 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Great with heavier wire  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna performs great as shipped but my first installation with the original 18 gauge wire didn't stand up to our first moderate wind storm. I contacted MyAntennas.com and was immediately sent a new 14 gauge wire and coil assembly all ready to replace the broken one. Great response/service. The endfed configuration works great at my QTH eliminating the ugly (my YL's words) lead-in open wire or coax that would hang down and run across my back yard to house/shack as most dipoles would. Antenna runs horizontal from a tree at far end of property to 40 ft pushup pole at the corner of house and coax straight down to the house (YL approved). All TX signal reports are very positive and RX seems to be very good. I just ordered the high power MEF-330-2K to replace the original transformer since I will be upgrading my amp from Yaesu FL-7000 to an ACOM 2000a. I'm now sold on these endfed antennas and I would rate it a 5 with the heavier gauge 14 gauge wire. Not sure if the antenna can be ordered directly with the 14 gauge wire but maybe you should try if/when ordering (hope I'm not barred from future purchases for recommending that LOL).

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2017 06:24 Send this review to a friend
HP takes a KW and works on 160m  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have EF 8010HP installed as a sloper from 20 to 100 ft. It has a usual directivity of sloper and the signal strength is usually below my flattops and above my verticals. But it is much easier to erect than the flattops and it does not require a wideband tuner for multi-band operation.

SWR on 80m is strongly dependent on the length of coax but usually < 2:1. Working causally, no problem at 1.5 KW level. SWR on 160m is < 3:1 and at 100W the antenna is heard by reverse beacon network at a level a few db below high inv L with many radials. Another ham tried it at 500W on 160m and reported no failure.

The box is the same for the 4010 and 8010 versions; they differ by the length of wire only.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2017 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent En-Fed Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a review for the MyAntennas EFHW-8010-1K, designed by Danny Horvat and I’ve attempted to add some information not contained in other reviews.

There are three versions of the -8010, each designed to work at different power levels:

EFHW-8010P (200W ICAS)
EFHW-8010-1K (1KW ICAS)
EFHW-8010-HP (1.5KW ICAS)
EFHW-8010-2K (2KW ICAS)

All versions cover 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10M, and as previous reviews testify (including by the ARRL’s QST magazine), do it very well. Why so many? In a nutshell, Danny has been continuously improving the power handling of his EFHW antenna products based on customer demand, and still offers the lower power versions at reduced cost, giving you and me more capability vs. cost flexibility in purchasing. Not that any of the versions are expensive – all are currently under $200, with the lightest versions more towards $100.

Generally, end-fed, half-wave antennas with built-in feed-point matching networks are limited in power handing for a number of reasons, for example: 1. Voltages (and impedance) are at a maximum at the end of the wire and the matching network must handle ever higher voltages as the power input rises, 2. All matching networks have some loss, and a 1 db loss at 100 watts input represents about 20 watts going into heating the magnetic contained in the transformer. These magnetics are often relatively small toroids with limited thermal mass, and because they are generally enclosed in a weather-tight plastic box, usually have a very poor thermal path to outside cooling. So they tend to heat up at higher power levels, and once the magnetics reach their Curie temperature, generally 155 to 250 degrees C, they (temporarily) lose their properties, antenna SWR soars and transmission has to cease until the cores cool. Running CW QRP or SSB up to 100W, this problem is unlikely to happen. But if you prefer higher power or higher duty cycle modes, then this may become a frustrating problem. In my viewpoint, it’s the main weakness of this antenna type.

MyAntennas addressed this problem in several ways. Matching transformer losses have been reduced well below 1 db on the latest 2K versions, magnetic thermal mass has increased and the Curie temperature of the core material has been pushed upwards. In short, the transformers generate less heat, have slightly more thermal dissipation area, a higher thermal mass (takes longer to heat), and can get much hotter before losing effectiveness.

So – what does this mean for the EFHW-8010-1K? I’ve found no problems running SSB into the antenna up to 500W (simply have not tried higher power). When running RTTY with a series of long continuous transmissions, 200W is the practical limit, or lower if the TX period exceeds about 1 minute. Remember that the rating of this antenna is 1KW ICAS (Intermittent Commercial and Amateur Service) and RTTY is continuous – a brutal test of an amplifier and antenna system. Even my Mosley TA-33-MW Yagi, a famously robust design that has been an industry benchmark for decades, is only rated at 600W RTTY, whereas its SSB rating is 2.5 KW.

I’ve put up and used two EFHW-8010-1K antennas, plus an EFHW-8010HP and even an EFHW-4010. I also have a new high-power EFHW-8010-2K on the way, because I’ve been working more with RTTY and would like to fully explore the 500W RTTY limit of my Quadra VL-1000 at QTH#1 on 80M. Each antenna has been installed in a different configuration: As a linear horizontal half-wave, a horizontal-V (due to space limits and yard safety) and as a bent-L. They are very easy to install due to their built-in matching network (no ladder line and remote tuner required), end feed (way more convenient that a center-feed) and very small size and weight when handling or transporting. No additional “counterpoise” has been necessary nor has a feed point ground, though the ground is recommended. I also use one of the antennas as part of my travel kit, which includes a Yaesu FT-991, and it transports easily, sets up in minutes and just performs.

Contrary to some almost hysterical on-line claims by armchair pundits who have NEVER used these antennas, I’ve had zero problems with RF on the coax shield or in the shack – in fact, in a recent measurement (I became curious) I measured 35 mA maximum outer shield current (near the antenna feed point – is that REALLY a problem?) at 50W TX – no added external counterpoise (other than the shield) and no ground at the matching transformer. Nor do they seem particularly sensitive to coax length. An RF choke at the feed point is neither needed nor recommended (by ANYBODY), but I do use one at QTH#1 (CMC-154-3K), which oddly enough, allows the EFHW-8010-1K to resonate well enough on 160M to make quite a number of contacts. It’s not rated or very efficient on that band, nor can it handle much power – so I consider this an unexpected bonus of the antenna configuration.

Are these antennas ideal? No. My Mosley TA-33-M Yagi consistently out-performs the EFHW-8010-1K wire antenna - by 12 db or so on 20M TX (depends a LOT on conditions) judging from recent informal A/B tests I’ve run using PSK Reporter reception reports as a metric. But then, the wire antenna is much lower (22 vs. 36 ft.) and is in a nearly omni-directional configuration. So much depends on installation, too. The wire does far outperform the (higher) CHA-250B vertical on the same lot, and appears slightly better than the Comet’s predecessor, a Hustler 6BTV vertical (deceased in a wind storm). Regarding DX? Well, I’ve been able to nail South Africa (10K+ miles), South America (6K+ miles) and others with the Mosely TA-33… and with the West EFHW-8010-1K, TOO. So it works well enough, particularly when conditions are right. From the East Coast (where it is my ONLY antenna), Europe booms in regularly.

The payback is that the EFHW-8010-1K is inexpensive, almost trivial to transport, put up and use, adds additional band capability the Mosley TA-33-MWARC does not provide and has no “bad habits” that I can detect, other than limited power handling (improved in the later HP and 2K versions). And it can and is bent into a compact shape to fit into my small beach home lot, tightly surrounded by other 2-story homes. I’ve had similar experiences with this antenna in a friend’s installation and in use it at two other QTH’s on the East Coast. As other reviews have noted – it just works. That’s my experience, too.

Best Regards,