Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | EFHW-8010 8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna Help

Reviews Summary for EFHW-8010 8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna
EFHW-8010  8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna Reviews: 52 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: End-Fed Half Wave (EFHW) antenna for 80/40/30/20/17/15/12
and 10m bands, NO TUNER NEEDED.
More info: http://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010/

You can write your own review of the EFHW-8010 8-band End Fed Half Wave antenna.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2017 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent En-Fed Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a review for the MyAntennas EFHW-8010-1K, designed by Danny Horvat and Iíve attempted to add some information not contained in other reviews.

There are three versions of the -8010, each designed to work at different power levels:

EFHW-8010P (200W ICAS)
EFHW-8010-1K (1KW ICAS)
EFHW-8010-HP (1.5KW ICAS)
EFHW-8010-2K (2KW ICAS)

All versions cover 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10M, and as previous reviews testify (including by the ARRLís QST magazine), do it very well. Why so many? In a nutshell, Danny has been continuously improving the power handling of his EFHW antenna products based on customer demand, and still offers the lower power versions at reduced cost, giving you and me more capability vs. cost flexibility in purchasing. Not that any of the versions are expensive Ė all are currently under $200, with the lightest versions more towards $100.

Generally, end-fed, half-wave antennas with built-in feed-point matching networks are limited in power handing for a number of reasons, for example: 1. Voltages (and impedance) are at a maximum at the end of the wire and the matching network must handle ever higher voltages as the power input rises, 2. All matching networks have some loss, and a 1 db loss at 100 watts input represents about 20 watts going into heating the magnetic contained in the transformer. These magnetics are often relatively small toroids with limited thermal mass, and because they are generally enclosed in a weather-tight plastic box, usually have a very poor thermal path to outside cooling. So they tend to heat up at higher power levels, and once the magnetics reach their Curie temperature, generally 155 to 250 degrees C, they (temporarily) lose their properties, antenna SWR soars and transmission has to cease until the cores cool. Running CW QRP or SSB up to 100W, this problem is unlikely to happen. But if you prefer higher power or higher duty cycle modes, then this may become a frustrating problem. In my viewpoint, itís the main weakness of this antenna type.

MyAntennas addressed this problem in several ways. Matching transformer losses have been reduced well below 1 db on the latest 2K versions, magnetic thermal mass has increased and the Curie temperature of the core material has been pushed upwards. In short, the transformers generate less heat, have slightly more thermal dissipation area, a higher thermal mass (takes longer to heat), and can get much hotter before losing effectiveness.

So Ė what does this mean for the EFHW-8010-1K? Iíve found no problems running SSB into the antenna up to 500W (simply have not tried higher power). When running RTTY with a series of long continuous transmissions, 200W is the practical limit, or lower if the TX period exceeds about 1 minute. Remember that the rating of this antenna is 1KW ICAS (Intermittent Commercial and Amateur Service) and RTTY is continuous Ė a brutal test of an amplifier and antenna system. Even my Mosley TA-33-MW Yagi, a famously robust design that has been an industry benchmark for decades, is only rated at 600W RTTY, whereas its SSB rating is 2.5 KW.

Iíve put up and used two EFHW-8010-1K antennas, plus an EFHW-8010HP and even an EFHW-4010. I also have a new high-power EFHW-8010-2K on the way, because Iíve been working more with RTTY and would like to fully explore the 500W RTTY limit of my Quadra VL-1000 at QTH#1 on 80M. Each antenna has been installed in a different configuration: As a linear horizontal half-wave, a horizontal-V (due to space limits and yard safety) and as a bent-L. They are very easy to install due to their built-in matching network (no ladder line and remote tuner required), end feed (way more convenient that a center-feed) and very small size and weight when handling or transporting. No additional ďcounterpoiseĒ has been necessary nor has a feed point ground, though the ground is recommended. I also use one of the antennas as part of my travel kit, which includes a Yaesu FT-991, and it transports easily, sets up in minutes and just performs.

Contrary to some almost hysterical on-line claims by armchair pundits who have NEVER used these antennas, Iíve had zero problems with RF on the coax shield or in the shack Ė in fact, in a recent measurement (I became curious) I measured 35 mA maximum outer shield current (near the antenna feed point Ė is that REALLY a problem?) at 50W TX Ė no added external counterpoise (other than the shield) and no ground at the matching transformer. Nor do they seem particularly sensitive to coax length. An RF choke at the feed point is neither needed nor recommended (by ANYBODY), but I do use one at QTH#1 (CMC-154-3K), which oddly enough, allows the EFHW-8010-1K to resonate well enough on 160M to make quite a number of contacts. Itís not rated or very efficient on that band, nor can it handle much power Ė so I consider this an unexpected bonus of the antenna configuration.

Are these antennas ideal? No. My Mosley TA-33-M Yagi consistently out-performs the EFHW-8010-1K wire antenna - by 12 db or so on 20M TX (depends a LOT on conditions) judging from recent informal A/B tests Iíve run using PSK Reporter reception reports as a metric. But then, the wire antenna is much lower (22 vs. 36 ft.) and is in a nearly omni-directional configuration. So much depends on installation, too. The wire does far outperform the (higher) CHA-250B vertical on the same lot, and appears slightly better than the Cometís predecessor, a Hustler 6BTV vertical (deceased in a wind storm). Regarding DX? Well, Iíve been able to nail South Africa (10K+ miles), South America (6K+ miles) and others with the Mosely TA-33Ö and with the West EFHW-8010-1K, TOO. So it works well enough, particularly when conditions are right. From the East Coast (where it is my ONLY antenna), Europe booms in regularly.

The payback is that the EFHW-8010-1K is inexpensive, almost trivial to transport, put up and use, adds additional band capability the Mosley TA-33-MWARC does not provide and has no ďbad habitsĒ that I can detect, other than limited power handling (improved in the later HP and 2K versions). And it can and is bent into a compact shape to fit into my small beach home lot, tightly surrounded by other 2-story homes. Iíve had similar experiences with this antenna in a friendís installation and in use it at two other QTHís on the East Coast. As other reviews have noted Ė it just works. Thatís my experience, too.

Best Regards,
Brian Ė K6BRN

AD5VM Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2017 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Finally!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Okay, I know Danny will be the first one to say there's nothing magic or special about his antennas. But, show me where anyone has ever sold an antenna that is:
1) End fed with coax
2) No funky hanging matching wires (Par)
3) Handles 1kW+ power
4) Full size on lowest band
5) Resonant on EVERY band but not 'broadband'

The last one is the most important. There are plenty of antennas that either require a tuner (Chameleon) which means you are loosing some unknown amount of power in the feedline, or they magically have a VSWR of 1:1 on every frequency which means it's a resistor in a box with a wire that may or may not radiate anything depending on 47 variables.

Danny has done the hard work of designing an un-un and a radiator that just goes resonant AT and only at the ham bands. Sure, any of us with a network analyzer, a few miles of wire, an assortment of toroid cores and coil forms and a year of free time could have done it. Thank goodness all I had to do was send him some money!

I have mine up as a flat-top at 50 feet between two tree-tops (thanks youtube pneumatic PVC cannon!) it's ungrounded and has a few turns in the coax at the feed point to reduce common mode and provide a strain relief point.

It's so satisfying to get a 59+10 signal report and then to say 'antenna here is an end fed wire in a tree'

I get great signal reports on EVERY band, break pile-ups on the first call, I feel like a big gun station. (and I WAS a big-gun at my last QTH) I know I know, it's a full-size dipole on 80 meters, and performs like one, but on the higher bands, it sometimes performs much better than a full-sized dipole, as it should, in some directions. If your antenna is two or three wavelengths long, and nothing is heating up in the system, it stands to reason there is probably a nice gain-lobe somewhere.

I'm not a new ham who's amazed at what a wire in a tree-top can do. My favorite antenna system is a giant horizontal loop at least 600 ft long, up at least 50 ft high and fed with 600 ohm ladder line which is matched using a balanced double-L network. I'd take that over a stack of beams on a tower any day. This is the very next best thing, at a fraction of the cost and effort.

I can't recommend this antenna highly enough.

K1WDY Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2017 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first HF antenna. I set it up as an inverted vee, with the apex about 80 feet high over a tree branch and the ends about 10 feet high. I have very low noise and have made contacts to 23 different countries with 100w (most of those using SSB). I operate mostly on 40m and 20m with no tuner (the SSB area of 80m has too high SWR to operate without modifying the length or using a tuner). I would recommend this antenna to anyone wanting a multi-band wire antenna.

KG5BJV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2016 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amazing performance! Iíve been using a Superpole DP2 portable dipole for a long time now at 14ft high off the ground. My antenna works well for a shortened antenna, but for 20 meters and lower contacts are few because of the low height and power 5 watts,my radio is the Yaesu FT817ND.
I wanted to have an antenna that I could set up and take down quickly,and would work on all HF bands without needing a tuner and have to take down and adjust every time I change bands. This antenna fits all the requirements and Swr is low on all bands except on 20 meters and 80 meters but within workable limits. I have the high end at 14ft off the ground at the rear of my house sloping down where about 3/4 of it is 6ft off the ground at the front of my house. Under poor conditions Iíve made several contacts on 20 meters and contacts on 80 meters that have been difficult before. Two contacts one to Oregon 15 meters and one to Florida 20 meters my signal was S9+!! never given that to anyone before! Iíve worked three new countryís Nambia on 20 meters sent 5/1 Anguilla on 17 meters 5/6 and French Guiana on 20 meters 5/7! So what more can I say? I wish I had known about this antenna earlier I would have bought this instead of using a small compromise antenna for HF. Under poor conditions works excellent canít wait to submit another review when band conditions are good but that may be a while!
Anthony Thorpe KG5BJV thank you 73.

WU9P Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2016 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The antenna has performed very well for me and at only 25 feet. It receives well and I typically get very good signal reports. The SWR readings taken with my MFJ-269C from 80-10 meters were consistent with those advertised. This antenna is very easy to install and comes at a great price. Very stealthy to if thatís a concern. Delivery was fast and customer service is excellent. Danny is a great person to deal with. If you are a rag chewer like me and you plan to operate your station at high power levels, then I would highly recommend either the MEF-310-2K or MEF-320-2K.

AB7KT Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2016 19:02 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw some buzz about this antenna somewhere but thought it was advertising hype. But, when it was reviewed in QST, I decided to take the plunge. I bought the antenna and it sat in the box from last spring to this September. I put the antenna up in a flat-top configuration at about 40 feet (no ground). I was really impressed. On the air it worked well, about as good as any other wire antenna of similar size. But, the end fed design made it very easy to install and was a good solution for the location of where I wanted to install it. And, as advertised it is resonant on all the bands as advertised. Using a tuner, I was able to also load it up on 160, 60, and 6 meters. I only had it up for a couple weeks when the company announced the new model that could take legal limit power. I ordered that one and replaced the 1k version. I am very satisfied with this antenna and after using wire antennas since 1979, I would have to say this is the best one I have ever used. I have recommended it to other people and obviously would buy it again in a heartbeat.

K5WKS Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2016 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Easy install great service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the case covering the coil damaged by hail storm. It was replaced by Danny at no charge. Can't beat that service. I have the antenna mounted at 50' to a tower at 70' Works like the specs state. Very good receiving and transmitting.This is the easiest wire antenna to install I have found. Quality product.

W6LZC Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2016 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna, low to no noise  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a ham with 40+ years of experience, I had tried many variety of antennas over the years, from simple wire dipoles, verticals, and multi-element hf yagi. After settling in the big-city with small size lot and married, I wanted a simple antenna with more XYL approval than scorn, it was either a dipole or vertical. I have both, but not completely satisfied with either. The problem that I was having was the high noise level (after installing 2 common mode chokes) and the inability of putting down a good radial field.

Earlier this year, I came across the review of the EFHW 8010 in QST and did extensive research on halfwave endfed antennas. There seems to be extensive arguments about this antenna whether it should work. Well, the price for this antenna is reasonable and won't break the bank, that I decided to give it a try and experiment with it.

After 6 months of daily use, both listening and making contacts on the air, I am quite happy with the results.

My station setup is that I am using 2 of MyAntenna's common mode chokes(CMC-130) with it, one at the entrance to the house and one at the feedpoint of the antenna. The antenna is mounted on top of my patio cover which is 7 feet above ground with the wire extending in an inverted v configuration with an apex of 20 feet. Also, in addition to grounding the antenna with an 8-ft ground rod, I am also using two 30-ft wire radials with it.

After consultation with Danny, the owner of MyAntenna, I decided to shorten the length by 2 feet to raise the resonance point on 80 meters in order to use this antenna on the entire 80 meter band (without this change in length, the resonance point was outside the low end of the band and wasn't able to tune at the upper end with the builtin tuner). Danny warned me that by changing the length, it will affect other bands. After making this change, I did a sweep of the other bands using an antenna analyzer. The swr on other bands did change, but acceptable, still 2 or less. Actually, the resonance point on 40 meters moved to 7.200 which is more to my liking.

With my current setup, I have zero noise floor on all bands and now able to hear extremely weak stations. It is a wonderful experience not to be bother by high noise level.

Overall, this is an excellent antenna and priced reasonably. I highly recommend this antenna for those looking into a wire antenna for their station.

KG5JEG Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2016 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Once I got it set up the way I wanted and trying to get it to fit in my yard it works Great! It receives very well and the reports I get from all over the United States are a 59.

K5ZRQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Awesome antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Saw an ad on Facebook for this antenna. Talked to a ham friend about how good the reviews were for practically operating tuner free. Decided to purchase one based on the reviews. Never bought an antenna before except for two meter mobiles, always used a 80 meter loop with a tuner or dipoles. Pleasantly surprised that the EFHW 8010-1K lives up to stated operation and the reviews are 100 percent accurate. I charted the SWR across all the bands and sent it to my friend and brother, they both ordered their own antennas. Planning on ordering another one in the future for field day ops or a go box for camping trips.