Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works CW 620 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works CW 620
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $125
Description: HF Wire Antenna
More info: http://www.radioworks.com/

You can write your own review of the Radio Works CW 620.

G6GPF Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2015 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for small plot  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a vertical IPro dipole antenna in a small garden and and MFJ 1775 mini-bean in the loft but wanted to try out a horizontal wire antenna in the garden as the MFJ is a bit too low and picks up mains noise from the wiring in the loft.

I put the CW620 onto three fibreglass Spiderbeam 12 m HD masts in the garden (one to support the feeder kit). At 34 ft (10.4m) long it just squeezes diagonally into the garden and it is performing well. The heavy duty wire is good to keep the Spiderbeam masts linked as the site faces south and the English Channel which means I get the prevailing southerly storm force winds - and a good take off over the water.

I have worked North America and mainland Europe down to the Spanish and French mediterranean coast from the English south coast, so for present summer band conditions that is reasonable. One thing I do like is that it is a quiet antenna - probably helped by the line isolator. This means I can punch in the IC-7600 pre-amp and pull the signal up the S scale. In fact I have been able to listen to QSOs when the S meter is only just moving. To talk back I may have to use the IPro vertical but getting the call sign right is a good start.

As a Professional Electrical Engineer I do like to own well engineered products that work - provided I do my bit to build them right and use them the way they were intended.