Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron Super Tuner Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Super Tuner Plus
Dentron Super Tuner Plus Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $approx. 120.00
Description: The Super Tuner Plus includes a front panel relative power meter, and a built in front panel antenna switch that handles up to four antennas. When properly adjusted, the Super Tuner Plus will tune out reactance and transform the load impedance to 50-70 ohms. A heavy duty 2 core balun is included for open wire or single long wire operations. A selector switch on the front panel allows selection of an alternate antenna (or dummy load), bypass, coax, single, and balanced. Power handling capability of the Super Tuner Plus is 1 KW CW and 1200 Watts PEP SSB (both measured in DC input to the final amplifier). The unit is compact but rugged, in an all-metal tightly shielded cabinet and weighs in at less than 15 pounds. Picture is not of Plus model

You can write your own review of the Dentron Super Tuner Plus.

AK4OO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2013 20:27 Send this review to a friend
the holy grail mt3000 then the super plus  Time owned: more than 12 months
stole mine a year and a half ago for $100.
the only thing I would replace it with is the dentron mt-3000..
Ive seen most super tuners sell for 100 and up.
I saw a dentron "super super" for $75 at a tampa hamfest and only had $60.(bunner).

Any way these dentrons ..built like tanks..
now a cult favorite..

W8WAW Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2010 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Oldy but goody  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for at least 15 years and it still works a-ok. The only part not working is the meter, but I do't use it anyways.
Great tuner and tunes my multiple rigs with an AL-811H with no problems.

KB9MIE Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2008 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use and fast.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is for the 160-10 AT Transmatch which has no metering.
When I first bought the tuner I thought that the tapped inductor versus the more usual roller inductor would limit the ability to obtain really low SWRs. After using the tuner to match a Mystery Antenna on all bands between 160 and 10 I find that I can achieve SWRs of better than 1.1:1 on all bands. In addition the the reproducibility of the tuner settings on each band is better than on my Murch-2000A which uses a roller inductor. Changing bands involves only resetting the inductor switch and minor adjustments to the two previously recorded capacitor settings. Likely the capacitor settings would be more reproducible if some rotational reduction had been used on the capacitors.
I have experienced no problems using the tuner and a linear running at 600W PEP output.

KD8GEH Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2007 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got mine off e-bay for a great price. Opened her up, nice construction, high qual parts. I have had mine for about 4 months, with high usage all HF bands(new General). Loading into a Alpa-delta DXLB+ she will tune all bands *I mean all HF* below a 2, most flat. It is a little tricky on 160 but I believe my antenna location is the issue there. Only thing I ever had an issue with is a quick arc on the rf mon curcuit coax on 160, just a stupid thing I did, not the tuner. I run my 811H thru it every day no heat or arcing issues whatsoever. I recomend it highly.
73 Dave KD8GEH

W2SXK Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2007 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Exceptional Tuner.

Have tuned everything from Workman Sticks to 80 meter twin lead fed antennas, to coaxial fed antennas on all bands. Tunes my 40 meter dipole flat on the whole 160 meter band and will work the upper end of the 10 meter band for repeater operation. After you play with it and find the sweet spots, you can tune anything.

Note: On very few occations may find tuning a little sticky if set in one position for a long time. Just a little contact cleaning/lube on shafts solved this problem.
Also the meter is just a meter. Shows relative output but really serves no purpose. If you find one used, you'll be in good shape. Never ran more then 100 watts thru it but know it can handle more well. Would recommend if someone is looking for a tuner on the used market.

WK9L Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2007 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Its very limited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a very nice and clean one because I had heard they we great. I guess it's OK, but if your antennas impedance is very far off, forget it and the open wire antenna's here at my place were totally out of the question. I would not run any more than maybe 500 or 600 watts though it, the caps are not big enough for more. I sold it and going to replace it with a MFJ 989C or 986
I think its a better choice.

KC6PJK Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2006 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy and Performs Well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this tuner for serveral months now and have used it frequently. This is my second tuner and was purchased off an auction site after upgrading to General and getting a linear amplifier. I needed a tuner that could handle the additional power. My first tuner, which I still have, is a Kenwood AT-230 and is only rated for 200 Watts. It is the only tuner I can compare the Dentron unit with.

I received the Dentron by UPS and it was beat up after being shipped from Alaska. The packaging was inadequate, and when I opened the box, the two large tuning knobs were broken off and there were parts loose inside. I got the tuner for a good price, so I decided to open it up and see if it could be repaired. This gave me chance to see how the unit was constructed.

The case is made of heavy duty sheet metal, as is the chassis. The components, wiring, and assembly are high quality, and the only observable defect was that the plastic case of the balun had a burn spot from a soldering iron. Given the age of this unit, it's impossible to attribute this to original manufacturer.

The loose part inside the unit was an attachment screw for the tuning coil, and was easily replaced. The knobs were repaired by replacing the broken nylon shafts with stock purchased at a hardware store. The tuner took a real beating, but the rugged construction limited the damage. This unit is easy to work on, and all components are readily accessible when the case is removed.

The tuner has performed flawlessly. It is not as refined as the Kenwood AT-230, but it performs just as well. It handles full output from my Ameritron 811H without a problem. It tunes up my Radio Works 10-80 Meter Beam Special on all bands, including WARC, with a 1:1 SWR acheivable on all frequencies. Can't do better than that. This tuner is a keeper, and I expect it to outlast me.

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2005 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have the non-plus model, and it works great, I use it to tune a Carolina Windom 80 and it does 80 and up inlcuding WARC with no problem.

I have ran a pair of 3-500's into it for years and never once has it arced on me, near legal limit on SSB and CW, and I have ran SSTV and RTTY at 500 watts no problem.

The only problem is the knobs are kinda lame as the other gentleman stated. Other than that, it is a good valued, I think I paid 70 dollars for this one.

KC2GOW Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Best Tuner Owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the greatest thing since sliced bread for me. I have Super Tuner (not Plus) model and tunes a wet noodle or 160m zepp. I have not run more than 150w thru it and so far no arc'ing. Will update when I put some manly power into it. All in all a good buy if you can get one.

Andy KC2GOW

VE2JL Rating: 3/5 Nov 16, 2002 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Technically great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Design is great, sheilding is superb but as on most Dentron gear, the knobs are nearly useless. Replaced with knobs with real pointers and it makes it much easier to use. (tuning shafts fail to reach outside front panel so extensions are needed). It works, and price of used units is low compared to some other brands. I don't use the meter as it is a bit mickey mouse.