Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-2DR Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2DR
Yaesu FT-2DR Reviews: 31 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $640
Description: The FT2DR is the latest Yaesu System Fusion handheld with a touchscreen and
dual band digital capability.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2DR .

KC0VOE Rating: 0/5 Mar 4, 2018 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Serious Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
After the firmware update, aprs stopped working. So I reflashed the firmware which fixed the aprs but now the backlight is stuck on high. It’s so bright I cannot use it in a vehicle at night. I really hate this radio. Yaesu has been screwing up badly for a long time now. Don’t buy this this thing.
WQ0A Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2018 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Updated - Firmware Improvement  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my first review, I addressed the problem of TX audio level. Yaesu has updated the firmware, correcting the levels. Good job with support from Yaesu.

I now have the FT1XD and the FT-70DR. They are both excellent but the FT2D is the king. The touch screen interface is full of information at a glance, the dual controls on the top make for flexible control of audio or channels. The build quality is very good. The RX audio is a bit light and the GPS is a bit slow. But experience has proven this radio to be my everyday "go-to" radio.

WQ2H Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2018 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Everything I expected !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about 2 years now - no troubles at all. I program it through the computer, so that's fairly easy. Good performance with local repeaters, through a VHF amp, and simplex HT. Display is good, although a color display like the 991 would be really nice. I like being able to switch from single to double band display. Have used it with APRS, Wires-X, and the camera mic with no trouble. The GPS takes a while, but it does connect - not as good as the FTM-400 (could be GPS antenna placement?) but like I said it does work.

Overall, very satisfied. My positive experiences with this radio were the main reason I got a FTM-400 for the car. Never had to contact Yaesu service so I can not speak to that. (maybe that's a good thing)
AE0DC Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2017 13:27 Send this review to a friend
not as strong as FT60r  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will update this later as we put it through more testing; however, I purchased this at hamvention for my wife, who just passed her general. Of course we had it shipped to MO to save taxes. When it arrived she charged it overnight and then entered our 2 local repeater freq's.
It would not activate the repeater. So I looked at the programing, tone ect all looked correct, but no joy. I pulled out my basic FT60R and it hit both repeaters (Apx 23 and 27 miles away)
So I thought we had an issue and called Gigaparts. Problem is we sent in the warranty card the same day we received the radio, and Yaesu’s policy states once the warranty card is sent, you must go through Yaesu service.
Gigaparts tried to help anyway and made calls to Yaesu "Hats off to Gigaparts for customer service" but we ended up sending to Yaesu, insured...
Say bye $40.00
Once yaesu received the unit, they sent an email saying it would take "X" weeks for repair . I ended up calling them and letting them know I owned the radio for less than a day… They expedited the service.
Say owned 1 day, weeks for warranty service.
They found nothing wrong and called to tell me this. They hoped the resets they did cleared some problem but really found nothing wrong. I received the radio back and re-tested against the FT60r and found thateven on half power, the FT60R made both repeaters, and on low power made one of the two repeaters. The FT2dr could not make either repeater even on full power. With a longer antenna, the FT2DR makes one of the 2, and in the jeep, plugged into the Jeep antenna, makes both.
yes, we did swap the FT60R and FT2DR antennas, no joy.
So basically the $400.00+ FT2DR just is not as strong as the $150.00 FT60R. We are happy with all the other aspects of the radio and are Yaesu fans so we are keeping the radio, we just understand that when it comes to transmitting at our repeater distance, the FT2DR just falls short.
Lessons learned so far….
1. Don’t fill out the warranty card right away because if there’s a problem you won’t be able to return to where you purchased for another, you will be stuck with a weeks of shipping/service, and the bill for shipping insured.
2. Just because you purchase a higher dollar radio from the same manufacture, does not mean it will be the same as or better than an older, cheaper radio.
3. Gigaparts was very responsive, my Hat is off to their customer service who tried hard and went
Beyond to try and make me happy, but their hands were tied by Yaesu in this case, who told me they did this in order to control money (Forcing service repair)
4. Yaesu was very nice, and responsive once contacted, however, to agree that maybe the FT60r
Was just more powerful than the FT2dr radio that cost almost 3x the amount was, well, disappointing.
Just to be clear, I still love my Yaesu Radio’s
KB5PRZ Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Good but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a long time Yaesu customer and own a FT1DR. In my boating life I also use Standard Horizon radios and really love my HX870 handheld VHF marine radio. I bought the FT2DR with the hope of enjoying some of the same features--namely the large screen interface.

The radio itself is fine and does its job, but my belief is that if you're going to put a GPS in a device like this you need to improve the radio's internal software to enable better GPS functions. For example, it would be a simple matter to allow users to input GPS waypoints into this radio and then do routefinding with those waypoints--much like the HX870 offers. I have to assume the firmware on this radio is too entrenched in the FT1DR legacy to allow for this improvement.

One major gripe with this radio: it ships with a standard USB cable that is fine for updating the firmware, but will not work if you want to use the ADMS-8 (or any other variety) software to manage the settings and memories. It would be nice if the manual explicitly stated this fact. You will have to buy the SCU-18 or SCU-19 cable, or get one from RT systems. I have an SCU-19 from my FT1DR so that's how I'm programming the radio these days.

Improved GPS receiver, good audio, easier interfacing with the radio--these are worthwhile improvements, but the same company (Standard Horizon) is producing the HX870 with far better features. Let's get the marine and amateur radio divisions at Yaesu to start talking to each other.
KA5IQX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2017 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Lots of options .. Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It seems that many of the other reviews tend to focus on disappointment with the display screen. While it could be more colorful .. and perhaps have a little sharper image .. I found it to be perfectly functional, with no difficulty in viewing. Certainly not a "deal-breaker".

Like many of the "ham" radios of today .. this one had a bit of a "learning curve". I spent quite a while trying to familiarize myself with the basic menu approach .. and attempting to understand how to manually set up and program all of the frequencies and features I wanted. Yes .. I said "manually program". I know. I know. I'm an old "fuddy-duddy" for not using the "almost instant" .. sometimes successful .. computerized, super fantastic .. "semi-sort of automatic" .. "done in the blink of an eye" .. software .. hardware .. dinnerware approach. But ... my way works too. And with my method, I have yet to turn a radio into a useless "brick" because of some downloaded "Oops glitch". So there. To each their own. As the old saying goes .. "Whatever floats your frequency."

Besides .. if I go through the self-torture and agony of doing it manually .. there's at least a chance that I might remember what I did when something takes place out in the field, where I need to change or program something into the radio .. with no magic computer programing available. ( Please make note that I said there might be a "chance" that I would remember how to re-program the radio. Only a "chance". )

Actually, once I began to get the feel of it .. and programed a few things into it .. I quickly became more comfortable with the operation of it .. and in fact .. I'm thus far very pleased. I got the APRS beaconing activated and working fine .. and have also been able to dip my toe into the waters of the new C4FM "System Fusion" that Yaesu offers. It's nice that the radio is able to do so much .. in such a convenient package.

Is it perfect? Of course not. And since I haven't had it that long .. it's certainly possible that something could go wrong tomorrow .. and I would then become .. "Not a happy camper". But .. at this point, I don't think the radio deserves the low ratings that I've seen on this review site so far. I have yet to see any piece of "ham" equipment that was absolutely the "perfect" rig .. so there will always be good things and bad about most anything. But I believe this FT-2DR handheld is a pretty darned good radio.

I do find it irritating that the major "ham" equipment manufacturers are getting skimpy .. and often force us to download and print out the manuals for their merchandise. I like a physical, paper manual to thumb through .. and the companies seem to think that WE should spend more money using OUR paper and OUR ink to produce a manual which should have been included with our purchase. Really, really irritating.

In the case of the Yaesu FT-2DR .. there was a fairly good basic manual included. But .. the APRS specifics were in an on-line manual that had to be downloaded and printed here on my little trusty printer. ( And of course, the print-outs will have to be put in a binder, to keep the information somewhat organized .. as opposed to being just a pile of random APRS .. FT-2DR .. EIEIO out-of-order "stuff". ) Bummer.

Anyway .. overall I think it's a fine little radio, and for the limited time that I've had it .. I have no major complaints. If you want to conserve battery power .. it's easy to turn off the GPS and APRS if they aren't needed. And you can adjust the time at which the back-lighting will shut off, if the radio touch-screen or buttons aren't being used.

Some have complained that since it has "touch-screen" controls .. they often unknowingly hit or touch something that changes a frequency or mode ..etc. That should be no problem either. It's quite simple to turn the "lock" feature on and off. Nothing to it. No more accidental changes. The more I use it .. the more I like it. I'm really warming up to this rascal.

W2GT Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2017 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Much better than I expected   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning an FT1DR for a painful 2 weeks, my expectations for the FT2DR were fairly low. The digital modes mean nothing to me, until there is a universal digital mode and it offers something other than the comedic value of your friends sounding like a drowning robot, I don't see the point in them.
My favorite handheld is a VX8DR and the FT2DR has a challenge to bump that rig from my top ranking and it's not even close. My biggest complaint is that is WAY to easy to pick it up and unintentionally change something, the buttons push too easy and the touch screen just takes, well, a touch. This would simply be solved by getting in the habit of hitting the "lock" button.
Another issue is that the alpha tags (channel names) don't appear on the screen in dual receive mode, just the frequency - if there is a "deal breaker", this may be it!
To me, the screen contrast is a non-issue, we quickly became to expect larger-screen devices to have a super high resolution, beautiful color display - this it is not, I'm sure the design parameters were readability on all light conditions, power consumption and cost - I wasn't planning on watching NetFlix on the thing, anyways! de W2GT
KC2OUU Rating: 1/5 Dec 19, 2016 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio when it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio in May of 2016 and this week the battery completely dumped wont hold a charge more than 1 day. I also bought the 3 AA battery pack for the radio and the radio will not even power on with that pack installed. I tried cleaning the contacts on the radio and the battery packs but that did not resolve the problem. Sadly I just today received my FTM-400XDR from HRO and now I dont even trust Yaesu so I think I will send it back and get an iCOM
VE1VON Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2016 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Very nice portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This portable is a very well built portable, you can even monitor the two bands VHF/UHF and monitor local broadcast stations at the same time.
The APRS works well, like all radios there is a learning curve, once you get over this you should have no problems.
The radio is solid and well built, the touch screen works well.
Yes, the regular price is a little high but if you were lucky to get the summer discount the price was the same as other similar function radios.
I highly recombed this radio.
K9CRT Rating: 3/5 Oct 14, 2016 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Feels cheap is cheap   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In comparison to the lastest H.T from Icom this radio's quality is very poor. Terrible p.t.t button, not great battery life, bottom line the only reason I purchased this radio was if you need an HT for Fusion this is one of two choices both from Yaesu and both cheaply made. Everyday I use this radio is another day I cuss the build quality.. Pros it does function and has given trouble free service. Btw Yaesu took 120 days to mail me my rebate money. I understand Yaesu stated " up to 120 days" but hey come on this is just being again cheap like the unit.