Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-2DR Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2DR
Yaesu FT-2DR Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $640
Description: The FT2DR is the latest Yaesu System Fusion handheld with a touchscreen and
dual band digital capability.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=4A66D869E574453F343581B53E9FAB40

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2DR .

AE0DC Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2017 13:27 Send this review to a friend
not as strong as FT60r  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will update this later as we put it through more testing; however, I purchased this at hamvention for my wife, who just passed her general. Of course we had it shipped to MO to save taxes. When it arrived she charged it overnight and then entered our 2 local repeater freq's.
It would not activate the repeater. So I looked at the programing, tone ect all looked correct, but no joy. I pulled out my basic FT60R and it hit both repeaters (Apx 23 and 27 miles away)
So I thought we had an issue and called Gigaparts. Problem is we sent in the warranty card the same day we received the radio, and Yaesu’s policy states once the warranty card is sent, you must go through Yaesu service.
Gigaparts tried to help anyway and made calls to Yaesu "Hats off to Gigaparts for customer service" but we ended up sending to Yaesu, insured...
Say bye $40.00
Once yaesu received the unit, they sent an email saying it would take "X" weeks for repair . I ended up calling them and letting them know I owned the radio for less than a day… They expedited the service.
Say owned 1 day, weeks for warranty service.
They found nothing wrong and called to tell me this. They hoped the resets they did cleared some problem but really found nothing wrong. I received the radio back and re-tested against the FT60r and found thateven on half power, the FT60R made both repeaters, and on low power made one of the two repeaters. The FT2dr could not make either repeater even on full power. With a longer antenna, the FT2DR makes one of the 2, and in the jeep, plugged into the Jeep antenna, makes both.
yes, we did swap the FT60R and FT2DR antennas, no joy.
So basically the $400.00+ FT2DR just is not as strong as the $150.00 FT60R. We are happy with all the other aspects of the radio and are Yaesu fans so we are keeping the radio, we just understand that when it comes to transmitting at our repeater distance, the FT2DR just falls short.
Lessons learned so far….
1. Don’t fill out the warranty card right away because if there’s a problem you won’t be able to return to where you purchased for another, you will be stuck with a weeks of shipping/service, and the bill for shipping insured.
2. Just because you purchase a higher dollar radio from the same manufacture, does not mean it will be the same as or better than an older, cheaper radio.
3. Gigaparts was very responsive, my Hat is off to their customer service who tried hard and went
Beyond to try and make me happy, but their hands were tied by Yaesu in this case, who told me they did this in order to control money (Forcing service repair)
4. Yaesu was very nice, and responsive once contacted, however, to agree that maybe the FT60r
Was just more powerful than the FT2dr radio that cost almost 3x the amount was, well, disappointing.
Just to be clear, I still love my Yaesu Radio’s

WQ0A Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2017 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Very nice HT with one big disappointment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The touch screen interface makes this a very nice radio to use. The screen holds lots of information and is fairly easy to read. The touch interface allows quick access to settings and becomes rather intuitive with some experience. The touch screen can be easily bumped causing unwanted changes but the lock is easily engaged. The build quality is very good (a drop on concrete proved it) and receive audio is decent, though at times a bit light.
The big disappointment with the radio is the transmit audio level. There is a major contrast between digital and analog. New digital users will find their audio is excessively loud and distorted, unless you change the menu audio setting to 2 or 3. Analog seems to work best for me with the default of 5 or 6. With the automatic mode selection, it is too bad the transmit audio needs to be manually changed between modes.
I find the GPS in my FT2 to be a bit slow. My new FT1XD has a much faster GPS.
I would love to give this radio a "5". Yaesu Fusion is a great mode and C4FM audio is a pleasure to use. I really enjoy using this rig. A firmware update from Yaesu correcting the TX audio would make this radio an excellent HT.

KB5PRZ Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Good but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a long time Yaesu customer and own a FT1DR. In my boating life I also use Standard Horizon radios and really love my HX870 handheld VHF marine radio. I bought the FT2DR with the hope of enjoying some of the same features--namely the large screen interface.

The radio itself is fine and does its job, but my belief is that if you're going to put a GPS in a device like this you need to improve the radio's internal software to enable better GPS functions. For example, it would be a simple matter to allow users to input GPS waypoints into this radio and then do routefinding with those waypoints--much like the HX870 offers. I have to assume the firmware on this radio is too entrenched in the FT1DR legacy to allow for this improvement.

One major gripe with this radio: it ships with a standard USB cable that is fine for updating the firmware, but will not work if you want to use the ADMS-8 (or any other variety) software to manage the settings and memories. It would be nice if the manual explicitly stated this fact. You will have to buy the SCU-18 or SCU-19 cable, or get one from RT systems. I have an SCU-19 from my FT1DR so that's how I'm programming the radio these days.

Improved GPS receiver, good audio, easier interfacing with the radio--these are worthwhile improvements, but the same company (Standard Horizon) is producing the HX870 with far better features. Let's get the marine and amateur radio divisions at Yaesu to start talking to each other.

KA5IQX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2017 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Lots of options .. Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It seems that many of the other reviews tend to focus on disappointment with the display screen. While it could be more colorful .. and perhaps have a little sharper image .. I found it to be perfectly functional, with no difficulty in viewing. Certainly not a "deal-breaker".

Like many of the "ham" radios of today .. this one had a bit of a "learning curve". I spent quite a while trying to familiarize myself with the basic menu approach .. and attempting to understand how to manually set up and program all of the frequencies and features I wanted. Yes .. I said "manually program". I know. I know. I'm an old "fuddy-duddy" for not using the "almost instant" .. sometimes successful .. computerized, super fantastic .. "semi-sort of automatic" .. "done in the blink of an eye" .. software .. hardware .. dinnerware approach. But ... my way works too. And with my method, I have yet to turn a radio into a useless "brick" because of some downloaded "Oops glitch". So there. To each their own. As the old saying goes .. "Whatever floats your frequency."

Besides .. if I go through the self-torture and agony of doing it manually .. there's at least a chance that I might remember what I did when something takes place out in the field, where I need to change or program something into the radio .. with no magic computer programing available. ( Please make note that I said there might be a "chance" that I would remember how to re-program the radio. Only a "chance". )

Actually, once I began to get the feel of it .. and programed a few things into it .. I quickly became more comfortable with the operation of it .. and in fact .. I'm thus far very pleased. I got the APRS beaconing activated and working fine .. and have also been able to dip my toe into the waters of the new C4FM "System Fusion" that Yaesu offers. It's nice that the radio is able to do so much .. in such a convenient package.

Is it perfect? Of course not. And since I haven't had it that long .. it's certainly possible that something could go wrong tomorrow .. and I would then become .. "Not a happy camper". But .. at this point, I don't think the radio deserves the low ratings that I've seen on this review site so far. I have yet to see any piece of "ham" equipment that was absolutely the "perfect" rig .. so there will always be good things and bad about most anything. But I believe this FT-2DR handheld is a pretty darned good radio.

I do find it irritating that the major "ham" equipment manufacturers are getting skimpy .. and often force us to download and print out the manuals for their merchandise. I like a physical, paper manual to thumb through .. and the companies seem to think that WE should spend more money using OUR paper and OUR ink to produce a manual which should have been included with our purchase. Really, really irritating.

In the case of the Yaesu FT-2DR .. there was a fairly good basic manual included. But .. the APRS specifics were in an on-line manual that had to be downloaded and printed here on my little trusty printer. ( And of course, the print-outs will have to be put in a binder, to keep the information somewhat organized .. as opposed to being just a pile of random APRS .. FT-2DR .. EIEIO out-of-order "stuff". ) Bummer.

Anyway .. overall I think it's a fine little radio, and for the limited time that I've had it .. I have no major complaints. If you want to conserve battery power .. it's easy to turn off the GPS and APRS if they aren't needed. And you can adjust the time at which the back-lighting will shut off, if the radio touch-screen or buttons aren't being used.

Some have complained that since it has "touch-screen" controls .. they often unknowingly hit or touch something that changes a frequency or mode ..etc. That should be no problem either. It's quite simple to turn the "lock" feature on and off. Nothing to it. No more accidental changes. The more I use it .. the more I like it. I'm really warming up to this rascal.

W2GT Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2017 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Much better than I expected   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning an FT1DR for a painful 2 weeks, my expectations for the FT2DR were fairly low. The digital modes mean nothing to me, until there is a universal digital mode and it offers something other than the comedic value of your friends sounding like a drowning robot, I don't see the point in them.
My favorite handheld is a VX8DR and the FT2DR has a challenge to bump that rig from my top ranking and it's not even close. My biggest complaint is that is WAY to easy to pick it up and unintentionally change something, the buttons push too easy and the touch screen just takes, well, a touch. This would simply be solved by getting in the habit of hitting the "lock" button.
Another issue is that the alpha tags (channel names) don't appear on the screen in dual receive mode, just the frequency - if there is a "deal breaker", this may be it!
To me, the screen contrast is a non-issue, we quickly became to expect larger-screen devices to have a super high resolution, beautiful color display - this it is not, I'm sure the design parameters were readability on all light conditions, power consumption and cost - I wasn't planning on watching NetFlix on the thing, anyways! de W2GT

KC2OUU Rating: 1/5 Dec 19, 2016 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio when it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio in May of 2016 and this week the battery completely dumped wont hold a charge more than 1 day. I also bought the 3 AA battery pack for the radio and the radio will not even power on with that pack installed. I tried cleaning the contacts on the radio and the battery packs but that did not resolve the problem. Sadly I just today received my FTM-400XDR from HRO and now I dont even trust Yaesu so I think I will send it back and get an iCOM

VE1VON Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2016 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Very nice portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This portable is a very well built portable, you can even monitor the two bands VHF/UHF and monitor local broadcast stations at the same time.
The APRS works well, like all radios there is a learning curve, once you get over this you should have no problems.
The radio is solid and well built, the touch screen works well.
Yes, the regular price is a little high but if you were lucky to get the summer discount the price was the same as other similar function radios.
I highly recombed this radio.

K9CRT Rating: 3/5 Oct 14, 2016 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Feels cheap is cheap   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In comparison to the lastest H.T from Icom this radio's quality is very poor. Terrible p.t.t button, not great battery life, bottom line the only reason I purchased this radio was if you need an HT for Fusion this is one of two choices both from Yaesu and both cheaply made. Everyday I use this radio is another day I cuss the build quality.. Pros it does function and has given trouble free service. Btw Yaesu took 120 days to mail me my rebate money. I understand Yaesu stated " up to 120 days" but hey come on this is just being again cheap like the unit.

K2ID Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2016 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Better than my old HTs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am on old timer so I am used to countless HTs that I have owned in the past. This one is the bet of the bunch. I have no problem reading the screen or using the touchpad. I find it very responsive. The radio does all that I need it to do and more.
I can see some hams comparing this to their smart phones. My generation did not even have the internet until much later in life so I compare this to HT's I have used personally up to the Yaesu 8R a few years ago. To me this is a good step in the right direction. Let's be realistic, I can live without an HT and just use echolink on my smart phone or call, text, send images, etc., to anyone in the world. For an HT it is pretty good and no complaints from me. Could it be better given the technology we have today? Sure but the HT market is much, much smaller than the smart phone market so the cost to buy one with the latest and greatest smart phone technology would be more than most would be willing to pay.
I have no problems with the menus and I have designed software and programmed for over 40 years. Sure it can be better but it is not bad for the money.

KI7KJ Rating: 3/5 Sep 22, 2016 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Solid rig but tired UI  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I haven't had a HT since my old ICOM 02-AT in the 1980s. But I got interested in APRS and got the Yaesu FT-2DR.

Pros: It's solidly built. The battery is compact and lasts long enough for my purposes. It's even water-resistant if you make sure the rubber flaps are closed over the ports. APRS works well, although with only 5 watts it doesn't get out very well sitting in a cup holder with the rubber duck antenna.

There are a couple of programs available at low cost that make it easier to program. I've mostly used the RT Systems one. It's easy to transfer the data with a micro-SD card, no need for a cable.

Cons: The software is so antiquated! Any smartphone is vastly superior. And even for 1970s software it's got some bad design flaws. For instance, to confirm a command sometimes you touch the screen and sometimes you use the buttons and sometimes you press the PTT switch -- and hope you don't transmit by mistake.

The screen is low contrast black and white and for me, it was hard to see in bright sunlight.

I got this at a good discount from list and there was a $100 rebate from Yaesu as well.