Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TS-700SP Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-700SP
Kenwood TS-700SP Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $kenwood ts-700sp digital
Description: 2 Meter All Mode

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-700SP.

PE1IOC Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2008 14:59 Send this review to a friend
still going strong !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TS700s (144/145 Mhz) new out of the box in 1979 for about Hfl 2100,- Dutch Guilders. A lot of money for a student that time !
The rig never let me down since then. The only 'repair' I had to made was the replacement of 2 worn out scale lamps. My rig showed also the problem with the digital readout not functioning well after not using the 700s for about a year and, as mentioned in the revieuw below, the trick with the spray turned out to be the solution.
Build like a tank , last a lifetime and suspect it will do its job still after the owner is retired ...
Still looking for a TS 600 to complete the family !
73's from the Netherlands

AA7E Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2008 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my TS-700SP for more decades than I care to remember. It has always performed well.

Many owners have commented that the display ceases to function if the radio is not used for a while. This is true. I have found the problem and can offer a solution. The display counter board is fed from the VFO. An oscilloscope on the VFO output quickly showed that the display failure was caused by a low VFO output or zero output. The operator's manual describes how to remove the VFO box. Inside the box there is an air dielectric variable capacitor. On one end of the variable plate shaft there is a piece of springy metal that is supposed to maintain good contact with the frame. The problem is that this contact begins to fail unless the capacitor is used frequently. I assume that corrosion is the cause. Spraying the contact area of the capacitor with contact cleaner, I got a can from Ace Hardware, works wonders. After about five minutes of alternately spraying and rotating the capacitor from end to end, the problem completely went away.

I hope this helps.

KB3HSY Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2008 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 2 M all mode  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always wait before commenting on a radio, but I have had this rig for 2 years and I love it, it receives excellent with the built in pre-amp (R-DX) and has never let me down. I owned a 700A in which I had issues on RX, but this rig has been solid. The display will go in out if not used for a period of time (months) but if you rotate the VFO it will clean up, I am not sure why this happens since I also have the remote VFO-700S and I can make it happen when I rotate the VFO on the remote, but it does go away after use. I personally like a digital display and this one is perfect to the decimal with a frequency counter. I use it on low power since it is paired to a Mirage B-310-G which functions just as well, it really helps it get out. I use an MC-50 MIC instead of the handy and it always sounds clean. The SSB works great and when the band is open you can't beat it. I am also using a MFJ-921 tuner and a $50 cushcraft beam (not sure of model).I paid $250 for the rig and got it off of ebay since I couldn't find one anywhere else, I hope this helps others.

W6PMR Rating: 2/5 Oct 6, 2007 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Problematic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everyone has an opinion, some have experience and I guess I have a litle of both with the 700 series of Kenwoods.
If I am given a choice between the 700 "A" or the "S", I will go for the "A" every time.
I have owned, repaired, bought and sold these radios for decades. When they work they are neat, fun old radios. when they become problematic, ....well they are old.
My experience over a lot of time is that the analog version is MUCH more reliable. As cool looking as the digital display is the "S" just
has more problems over time, MUCH more.
I'm putting this review in the "SP" section so
if any of you find a good deal on one of these that has lets say, a display problem, or won't power up and you are not in need of a parts radio, pass it up.
If you do get a 700 "A" you will find it is a solid, well built all mode that with some RX pre-amplification and a decent RF amp will bring you
lot's of fun for cheap.
Hope this helps, Paul.

KB3HSY Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2007 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Good 2M all mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The TS-700SP is a very nice all mode, it is very sensitive on the receive. Adding a tone encoder is a nice accessory (TE-32). It will work off of AC or DC with the proper cord and an external VFO is available for split work. I prefer the MC-50 mic as an option since it does sound cleaner then the hand mic. It is built very nice and is consistent with power output although a low power rig. The only problem is the display VFO which can intermittently go out if not used for a period of time, this is resolved by either cleaning the VFO or just spinning the VFO back and forth and it will work fine for a period of time, I understand this is a common problem and although present occasionally it doesn't take way from the rigs sound and realiablity. Worth getting if under $225 in my opinion.

DA1TNJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2003 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Very good 2 meter all mode  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my TS-700SP from eBay about 3 months ago. It was in very good condition except for a little dirt inside. The rig run 10 watts SSB,CW and FM with repeater offset selectable from the front panel. The "AM" mode is avilable at 2.5 watts output. The digital display provides an easy means to be right on frequency even though the analoge dial can be used if the digital display gives up. The 10 watts output the rig has is more than enough to gain access into local repeaters and simplex FM contacts. I haven't had a chance to use it on SSB, CW or AM however, I'm sure it will perform well in those modes as well.

The down side of the TS-700SP is it's inability to operate -600 below 146mhz. It will operate with repeaters but the offset is +600 which, in Europe, hinders getting into repeaters. There is the TS-700G which works with European repeaters and I believe Kenwood should have made the TS-700SP so it works either US or Non-US repeaters with a flip of a switch. I'm not to thrilled with the "S" meter function as it's more on audio than RF. A strong signal will give some indication and with audio the meter reads upscale. The size is a bit large for mobile although I'm sure there are folks who would put one in a automobile, truck or van. There are modifications to put the TS-700SP on European repeaters, making it like the TS-700G, however, I do not wish to do that so mine stays stock.

All in all, I think the TS-700SP is an all around good 2 meter all mode rig. Couple the TS-700SP with a high gain antenna up between 50 and 100 feet and you can have fun working low power DX and repeaters. The TS-700SP is an excellent first VHF rig or as a standby.

73's,