Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-400 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-400
Radio Shack HTX-400 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 440/70cm 200mW radio from Radio Shack. Has extended RX from 420 to 470mhz. PL tone SQ and TX, and true smeter.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-400.

KC9SNB Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2013 11:10 Send this review to a friend
nice little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the 70 cm twin of the little radio Shack HTX-200. Both radios do everything you could want a radio to do; but in very small packages with 200 mw out. In the case of the HTX-400, you can set splits and tones, save favorite stations and repeaters in memory, and do all of this through a tiny unit that will easily fit on your shirt pocket. If you need more power, a watt and a half is available using a 6 volt power source. On top of everything else, these usually sell for $50 or less. If you are an old hand at 2 meter and want an in expensive way to get into 440, this is your radio. I have hit all the local 440 repeaters on mine, and never had a lick of trouble.

KB2SEO Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2010 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Lots of fun, Its designed for a niche  Time owned: months
the only reason I did not give a 5 was because i would have liked to see a rotatable VFO. otherwise, I have had the little bugger for years, a few AA in her and i am covered for local hamfests, fishing, between car contacts, or messing around local simplex.

KB7INO Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2005 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Little + Cute + Functional  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio about 4 years ago on clearance for $30. I held on to it because it was so cheap. I used it a few times to talk to hams because it was my first mini-ht (I now also own a HTX-200).
I've also used it a few times to access a cross band repeater.

Now I found a special application for it. I use it for FM satellite.

I attach to the boom of a directional antenna (either a 3 element quad or a 4 element yagi) and I can hear AO-51 down to about 5 degrees (I think it is of the surrounding mountains is why I can't hear it lower). It works GREAT!!! A simple small radio that makes a nice once piece satellite downlink setup. Makes it very easy to carry/travel with. The audio is good, it is sensitive enough ( though according to the specs it is 2 dB deafer). I like just showing up at a buddy house and pulling this out and listening to a pass. For me, this is the "killer ap".

The radio was so cheap ($30), that I'd rather not hassle with a duplexer and my dual band HT.

Also it runs on AA, so I don't need a special charger. All I need is a 2 meter mobile and SATs are easily workable! For this set-up, I wish I could rate it higher than 5.

WA2CLP Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2004 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an HTX-400 on EBay. Paid $66 for it and have been very satisfied.

I've been a Ham for over 30 years but have resisted getting on the 440 fm band until now. Just prior to the purchase I studied the bandplan and programmed in as many local repeaters into my
scanner as I could. When the transceiver arrived I was ready to get my feet wet.

The HTX-400 has good clean audio on transmit and the receiver is good. I purchased a Smiley 5/8
telescopic antenna which improves performance noticeably. The rig is tiny so you can wear this
on your belt all day long and people think it's just another cell phone. It does go through
batteries however but you can keep talking after the battery bars start flashing, just like you
can on the "FRS" radios which, by the way, are more powerful than this one at 200 mw. One
drawback is no "touch tone" pad.

It's a great little radio you can take on the go. With my telescopic whip being only just over a foot long it's comfortable to take out on my daily power walks. And there's enough "local" activity to keep my busy for while.

Glad I made the purchase and will keep enjoying the radio for some time to come.

KD5FKF Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2003 00:34 Send this review to a friend
Decent little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of the HTX-400s when they came down to about $50. I've reached the repeater from about 30 miles away on battery power. The 9v PS doesn't work well inside a vehicle unless you have an outside antenna...although I have had it work ok sometimes.

I would like mods for FRS though if anyone know them.

KC2YU Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2003 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Can't get 9v to work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I like the tiny size, but the power out it pretty limiting.

I've been trying to get it to work with a 9vdc source, but something weird happens: Whenever the unit is powered externally, receive works fine but the unit won't transmit.

I tried DC PS's from 4.5 to 9 volts, and it just won't transmit.

Anyone else experience this?

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2002 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Really nice shirt pocket/purse HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my HTX-400 when Radio Shack dropped the price to $60. You can't beat it for the price. I've owned the Alinco DJ-S41T and this rig is comparable, but the antenna is removable so you're not stuck with the little flip up antenna. I don't know what the previous reviewer was experiencing -- the receiver is fine. Transmit and receive audio is very good.

The only reason I can think of to explain the fact that I am the only person to rate this rig a "5" is that people aren't rating it for what it is--a low power, extra small HT. In that class of radio I have found none better. More power? That's what bigger HTs are for.

I rate it a "5" because it's small, rugged, works well, and does everything it was designed to do. At the very tiny used prices I am seeing this rig is still a bargain, and a better choice that the Alinco with it's fixed-on antenna. Oh, and I really liked the little Alinco, so saying this one is better is saying a lot.

K6SDW Rating: 1/5 Jan 16, 2002 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Rx numb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought first one on sale, receiver numb. Took it back, argued with the Radio Shack guy but he finally gave me another one.....took it home, receiver also numb on second unit. Went back and got my money back and bought an Alinco HT instead.

End of story....73/ed

WB2GOF Rating: 3/5 Jan 16, 2002 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Cute Little Toy Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very cute little toy radio. The receiver is good, volume is more than adequate, and I was surprised that I could hit some medium range repeaters with 200mW on 440MHz, although not consistently. The features are nice, but programming this thing with the seven tiny little buttons can be problematic. The price used ($50~$60) is more in line with what this toy is worth then the Radio Shack MSRP (What were they thinking with that?). I am glad I got mine used. This is the pocket radio I carry with me when I'm on the go, almost daily. It is a good backup to your cell phone for communications purposes. It works best against the many repeaters in an urban area. However, when I am going out on a trip, or I want reliable access to a club repeater, I take my 5 watt 2 Meter brick HT. This is not going to replace that, nor is it meant to. It eats the two AA batteries within 3 to 4 hours,and NICD or NIMH batteries (which have a slightly lower voltage) hinder its miniscule power level further. It can put out one full watt with a 9 volt <1 amp PS, but I am wondering why they didn't produce this to accept a 9V battery for more output, instead of the two AA's at 3V. The battery compartment is almost big enough for a 9V, except for the center ridge meant to separate the two AA's. I am considering some sort of a mod to do this. Also, there are no mods to expand the TX range out of band (FRS, for instance). A cute toy for your pocket....

KC4FWC Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2002 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Great at $50  Time owned: months
I wouldn't pay over $50 for one. But at that price, you're getting a good deal. 4 out of 5 positive things.. can't tell you how handy it is to have around. Negative things - well, the PL tone takes about a second to swing on frequency. Many people just key and start talking right away and we miss their first word. Kinda eats batteries, wish it had a low power like 20 mw, such as the Alinco model does. Comes in more handy for those who only live a few miles of a repeater. Overall, definitely recommended to those who live 5 miles or less from a repeater. Unless you do, or you run an external antenna, you won't be talking far.