Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-400 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-400
Radio Shack HTX-400 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 440/70cm 200mW radio from Radio Shack. Has extended RX from 420 to 470mhz. PL tone SQ and TX, and true smeter.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-400.

KC0IDI Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2001 19:33 Send this review to a friend
It's OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this rig today ... not too bad. It's what I expected from just looking at it. There are not very many 440 repeaters in my area so more power would be nice. I just want to know what Radio Shack was thinking when the put a $200 price tag on it. If it would have started out at $50 -$60 they would have sold TONS!

KC8PPO Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2001 03:15 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the radio this past spring. It was my first 440 rig. Works very well here in town. From an elevation of about fifty feet, I've been able to open up the 444.15 repeater from about twenty miles away, operation off two high capacity nicd (1.2v 700mh) batteries. The main things that I've noticed about it is that I have been unable to find an adapter to go from the SMA to BNC to use on a mobile antenna; also, it seems to drain batteries rather quickly. However, it's a good radio for the price, and if you can find one, get it.

N1YRK Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2001 15:34 Send this review to a friend
good radios, with caveats  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These radios are now down to $50 at Radio Shack, but are getting hard to find. I picked up the last two in my district (I am told). But when I opened the box, one of them was an HTX-200! (The 2 meter version), which looks almost identical. I am not complaining though, because I needed a small 2-meter anyhow.

Compared to the Alinco DJ-S41, it is similar. But the Alinco has a larger LCD display, which is helpful for many people. The HTX-400 doesn't have the flip-down antenna that the Alinco has, but then again there is the advantage that you can replace it with any antenna that has an SMA connector, whereas the Alinco would require major surgery. The Alinco has a bit higher power at 300 mW (200 Mw for the HTX-400), but requires three AA cells to achieve this (the HTX-400 takes two).

There is a 9v power jack that would give you 1 watt TX. The manual doesn't mention the diameter, but it is 3.5/1.5(mm). I am going to experiment with a 9V battery here. It would have been great if Radio Shack (or the Korean company they bought these from) had made the battery compartment accept either 2 AA or 9V, and operate appropriately.

Like the Alinco, there's no computer cable for programming the memories. Programming is tedious. Still, once you get used to it, you can move along. The keys may be small for some hams.

WARNING: Anyone wanting to use the headphone jack, for packet or whatever, should note this URL: http://www.tigertronics.com/bptsing.htm - It warns that the audio stage will short out if you connect either side of the speaker connector to ground on both the HTX-200 and HTX-400. This is a really dumb design flaw.

You may want an SMA to TNC adapter. One specifically for this HT is here: http://www.icongrp.com/~sllewd/adapter.html

In conclusion, these are nice little radios. If the speaker connector problem was fixed, and the list price was $100 instead of $179, RS could have sold a lot more of these.

KC5YNP Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2001 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked one up a few months ago at a 'clearance' price of $70. First 440 radio I had. Didn't expect much of it at that price, but was very plesantly surprised at the performance. I can easily hit repeaters 5+ miles away from inside the house (with an aftermarket antenna), feature set on the radio is pretty good, and it's a rugged little bugger and well made! Only complaint - too bad RS didn't include NiCad or NiMH charging circuitry in the thing. Other than that it's well worth the clearance price.

KG8ZH Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2001 14:48 Send this review to a friend
nice little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too picked one up for the closeout price of $69.95. here in Detroit. There is heavy use of the 450mhz band by the local police. I have all the Detroit precincts programmed in and was quite impressed by the little rigs sensitivity. Like others,I too can hit some repeaters in the area, but think the little rig would do better with an aftermarket antenna which I plan to buy soon. There seems to be quite a few Radio Shacks in my area with a good stock of these little rigs. If you can find one for the $69.95 closeout price, don't hesitate to pick one up. It's a cool little rig. For $69.95 its worth it. As for the original price of $199.95 (which was still stamped on the box of the one I bought) it is a major rip off. No wonder Radio Shack is closing them out. Nobody would buy one at that price. If they were priced at about 70 dollars when they first came out, Radio Shack would have sold a million of them.

KG4GSC Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2001 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not a bad little shirt pocket HT. Bought two open box specials at lower than sale price...set them up for car-to-car operation, figuring that I wouldn't be able to hit the local repeaters (approx 20 mi.) with 340 mW. Much to my surprise I could! Not full quieting, but readable. Quite the surprise. Programmed in the FRS freq's (must set CS to 0.0125 to do this) as well as all the local 440 repeaters. I use a 9V batt. as a "booster" if I need to hit a more distant repeater....will build up a 9V external pak for higher power operation. Agree with the antenna comments...will look for a better one at the next hamfest.

73 de KG4GSC

N1XRR Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2001 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio, some problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio 2 days ago because RS is having a clearence sale on this things! $70(from $200) isn't bad at all.

The only 440 repeaters I use are very local, so thats fine, and I have an FT-50R for higher power stuff anyway.

Radio: Rugged, its a tough little bugger, doesn't seem that it will break very easily.(But I don't really want to try)

Robust, pretty easy to use...since there arn't many buttons. 7 buttons on the face, with a FUNC key on the side allows for minimal button-pressing.(Once you are used to the radio's controls)

Power, it ran all day for me today(talking on the local repeater. I am talking about light use, not talking on the radio 55 of out 60 minutes in an hour. Although the 2 AA's don't provide much power...I find it MUCH more convinient to go pretty much anywhere and get batterys...rather than but a new cell-pack from RS.

Conclusion: This is perfect for car-to-car use or local repeater use. Its small, so it goes about anywhere. Its worth the money, if that is what you need it for.

KG4CJV Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2000 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Low power, but great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good stuff:
I use the radio to hit a local repeater thats about 5 miles away. It great to put in your pocket and
use for monitering local 440 repeaters. It fits nice in your hand and has up to 1w tx if you get a 9volt source to radio.

Bad stuff:
Its only 200mW and the antenna is junk. I think you might want to think about buying a new antenna for this radio something like a RD-98. I tried to get it to rx FRS channels with the extended rx and it wouldent go down to 462.5625. You cant put rechargeable batteries in it because it doesnt like to low voltage. I put some NIMHs in there and it shows battery low every time I RX and TX. Even when I use the light the battery indicator blinks. The location of the strap is in the worst spot ever its in the back where the belt clip is insted of on the left or right side of the radio.

Considering it all I dont really care where the strap is because I'm going to use the belt clip more. Also the power doesnt matter, because I'm planning on using it for receiving more then anything else, and it doesnt bother me too much that I cant RX the FRS channels.