Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | AOR AR5001D(HF only Review) Help

Reviews Summary for AOR AR5001D(HF only Review)
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $4,799
Description: 40KHz to 3.15GHz Professional Communications Receiver

You can write your own review of the AOR AR5001D(HF only Review).

OE1SOW Rating: 3/5 Feb 1, 2016 03:14 Send this review to a friend
A downgrade from AR5000 +3  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the AR5001DX some years ago as a "follower" of my AR5000 +3.
First I had big problems with the "CW double-tone" above 25MHz also very unstable CW-signals above 25MHz.
With a firmware-update (Had to send it to the dealer...) this was removed.
Strange behaviour with the attenuator, when you switch ON the ATT, signals getting "stronger" on the S-meter...
1 month ago I bought a used RF-systems DX-one prof. Mk II.
Now I had the chance to compare the AR5001DX with my "old" AR5000 +3.
The DX-one has two ant-outputs.
If I made this comparison a few days after I bought the AR5001DX, I would have send it back.
There are a lot of BC-stations on HF, that are not strong, but good readeable on the AR5000, but not on the AR5001DX. Really nothing to hear...
Also on LW/MW the sensitivity is far away from the AR5000.
I bought the AR5001DX as a replacement for the AR5000. But...no way !
The AR5000 will stay here in the shack !

Would I buy it again ?
With all the knowledge I have now of this receiver...no !

N7FAE Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2015 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the AOR 5001D for about 2 years now, listening an average of 4 hours per week. I use it for LF/MF/FM, (primarily) SWL and V/U Scanning (See the Receivers/Scanners Product Reviews section for my upcoming review of the AR5001 as a V/U Scanner). I have owned too many Receivers over the years to list but for for this HF Review I am comparing it to the Drake R8B and the ICOM IC-9100 Receiver. I am an RF Engineer but I’m going to keep this short and non-technical with just a few comments.

My main point to be made is that even with some better ‘bells & whistles’ on my many other Receivers, I keep coming back to the AOR5001D for HF (Amateur usb/lsb excluded).

What I like:
*The ability to resolve an extremely weak signal with amazing readability and clarity, that can barely be distinguishable on my other Receivers, regardless of their BW, DSP, PBT, etc. settings. Every signal just ‘sounds better’ with no listener fatigue for hours.
*Superior Longwave reception and rejection of spurious signals in the LW band. I can hear NDB’s loud and clear that can barely be resolved on most of my other Receivers.
*Wonderful Audio response, e.g. FM sounds fabulous on wide-range Speaker, plus the ability to tailor the response if desired.
*Auto-sideband-select Synchronous Detection Mode for fading SWL signals
*The ability to program and link Search Banks for a one-button-push immediate scan of all of the SWL bands, for example.
*DSP works well

What I don’t like:
*Drill-down menus to get to options
*Lack of knobs for often used functions such as Mode selection, DSP, BW, etc.
*Noise Blanker has never made a noticeable difference.
*Plastic Tuning Knob - are you serious?
*Display is beginning to have a ‘black spot’ in top L/H corner (worse in Remote operation), but hasn’t gotten any worse. Still a minor annoyance.

Would I buy it again? In a Heartbeat