Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV9D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV9D
Wouxun KG-UV9D Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $180.00
Description: 2m/440Mhz Handheld transceiver with Dual Band Receive, Reception on FM
Radio, AM Airband, 2M, 440Mhz and other areas of bandwidth.
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV9D .

VK5LDR Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2017 05:28 Send this review to a friend
KG UV9D+ quite good but ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the UV9D+ with two batteries and two antennae. After transmitting for about 30 seconds, my unit begins to break up into our repeater. If you let the unit cool down, it is ok again for a few seconds but then does the same thing. Someone said it might be the battery but the problem occurs with both batteries. Either both batteries are problematic or it is a design defect. Also, the longer of the two stock antennas stopped working after about a year, it seems like it had an internal break or something. I've tried other antennae like the Diamond SRH-771 but the radio still seems to gradually lose power (I thought the shorter stock antenna may have played a part in the fault). Besides these issues, it has been a great radio for the past year or so. If not for these defects I would have given it a 5.

AD0AR Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2016 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Impressive, almost perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning the KG-UVD1P and the KG-UV8D, I can really observe the performance difference, especially with an emphasis on the RX.
RX is FANTASTIC! TX has no harmonic spurs that I can see on the bandscope of my IC-7000.
It does have TRUE DUAL SCANNING RECEIVERS! This is totally BALLER!!!!
If you are hard of hearing, this thing is for you! This is quite unfortunate for other innocent bystanders in the room as they will be soon hard of hearing from listening to it.
Do yourself a favor and make sure you shut it down when sleeping because if the volume is up and you nap with it next to you, I lost about 5 years of my life when this thing jumped to life around 2am when an operator was letting the world know he was monitoring.
Once again the scanning speed is mediocre.
Radioshack had hyperscanning in 1999 at a speed of 50 channels a second and this thing flips through channels slower than a 7 year old counting their fingers! Come on!
I wish there were independent volume controls for each of the receivers too. That would be a nice touch.
No Cross band repeat on this radio, but Wouxun already heard us silently saying WHAT??? in our heads and came out with the KG-UV9D Plus
to cover that aspect.
The backlight does stay on ever so dimly but once again the Plus version addresses that concern and has a mode that even stops the blinking green status indicator for you stalkers that need that extra level of stealth.
Battery life is quite decent and here's another thingy dingy I thought I'd point out. It actually has a somewhat functioning S/RF meter!
I have actually seen it move! I swear!
After seeing more than one of these Chinese radios where the S/RF meter appears to be a single triangular segment that blinks with reception I actually can see this one go up and down.
The charger has a separate wall wart but the 8D and 9D can share chargers as mine appear to be compatible.
I know you all are waiting to hear how well it works with the satellites, but I have to disappoint you and leave you hanging as I haven't gotten my ELK Log Periodic out of the attic yet to find out. Come spring and I sure will follow up! Ciao!
In God we trust, all others we monitor AD0AR

PB5X Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2015 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Hand held for a reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the KG-UV9D now for over 2 months and i can say that i am verry happy with this purchase. Besides the cosmetic appearance of this handheld it is a great TRX. With the help of another HAM we found the software to program all QRG's. So with this program and the programcable it is verry easy to put your desired QRG's in the memory. In my case i got all the VHF/UHF repeaters from my country and +/- 150 airband channels programmed. So easy to do.

I also compared this KG-UV9D with a Kenwood TH-F7E. The result was that the Wouxun is slight better in RX than the Kenwood. I can RX repeaters from 50Km away without any problem.
So its strange to say beacuse i am a real Kenwood lover hihi ...

So for the price you will get verry good, small, double VFO, colordisplay, etc... handheld what includes the AIRband aswell.

What do you want more .....

Roberto - PB5X

KC3TOM Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2015 12:38 Send this review to a friend
So far So good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the radio for a little over a month. It is my first radio. It's been fine. It is a true dual band, I can receive on both bands at the same time. I was getting a little addicted to listening to the county police/fire/ems frequencies. Each bank of 100 channels is scan bank. The FM feature is nice, but I really haven't used it much. After programming about 20 channels I broke down and bought the programming cable. I live in a high elevation area. I'm reaching repeaters 15 miles away without any trouble with the included high gain antenna. It comes with a stubby antenna, which I haven't even tried. With a roll up j-pole antenna I bought from N9TAX I'm reaching repeaters 30 miles away and receiving ones beyond that. Audio sounds great. Battery life seems really good. Maybe an experienced ham would understand it better, but I had to research what some of the features even do, as the manual is really brief. Radio seems well built. The screen is bright. If I had one complaint if might be the RX led on the top of the radio is really bright. While driving at night it light up the whole interior of my vehicle and can be really annoying, black electrical tape to the rescue.

KB1TAC Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2015 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio, But...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought the Wouxun KG-UV9D handheld transceiver that just recently came to market. I bought it for the ability to monitor Aircraft 136-180Mz, 136-174 Mhz, 400-512Mhz and 700-985Mz bands. The radio also receives on other bands that aren't used much in the USA. I purchased from Powerwerx.com to get the USA version which has English voice prompting and a transmit lockout outside of the amateur radio spectrum.

I have to say that I was impressed with the size of the radio, but immediately discovered that the Wouxun band programming software doesn't work at all... The screens are truncated and columns are missing. I had to order the RT Systems version of cable and programming software in order to input the 90+ channels that I wanted on the radio. Trying to copy over data from other Wouxun handhelds I have didn't go all that smoothly either. Cut and Paste was a slow process, but eventually I managed to input all the data needed and moved forward with exploring other features.

The true dual receive feature is a nice addition. You can operate in either VFO or Channel mode and set up 10 scan ranges from your programmed memories.

I wish they would allow users to customize the three PF buttons for things like WX Alert, Scan and other features on all three buttons.

Having ordered the Speaker Mic and Earpiece I was glad
powerwerx.com made the new mic smaller like the
Motorola style mics. The earpiece plug sticks out from the side rather than the bottom of the mic which is a bit wonky looking.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase and the new feature set Wouxun included, but the programming issue is a major flaw in the rollout.