Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 515 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

N8MJS Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2017 14:06 Send this review to a friend
HF power out failed.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased new from Gigiparts in December of 2013. The radio has been a decent performer up until this past weekend. Out of nowhere my transceiver developed an issue with no power out on any HF band. I feel for the money you pay when buying this transceiver new you should get much more than 3.5 years out of it before something fails. I am not a big HF Enthusiast but I do go there from time to time. I don't do any conesting or digital modes on HF. Only voice. I am very disappointed in the quality of my Kenwood ts-2000. I have since sent my ts-2000 to a repair facility.
I will await the outcome. I have heard some of the early model ts-2000's have had many issues but I would think by 2013 those would have been corrected with better quality control checking at the factory.
I have never had any Icom or Yaesu equipment so I cannot comment on them. But I will forever have a doubt in my mind about buying Kenwood.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
A Pleasant Surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first, all the buttons are overwhelming! Once you work with this rig, the intimidation fades out.

It is a good rig built on good old Kenwood technology. You cannot go wrong with KENWOOD'S dependable quality,

LAMBERTINOS Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio full equiped  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio. Do a lot of things with it. Need more filter on VHF. Got some interference. Replace the light by green leds. Much better contrast. Really like the cross band UHF to HF!

KC1SA Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2017 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Don't overlook the value of the TS-2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TS-2000 for over three years now and has worked nearly perfectly. Initially the S-Meter was way off, the factory suggested I do a factory reset and to leave the pre-amp on. Doing those two things make the S-meter believable (but your ears are the best judge). PSK, RTTY, JT, CW, SSB and VHF/UHF all work flawlessly. I did add the Inrad filter to improve preformance, and that made the radio even better in crowded band conditions. There is no USB port on the rig, and that may be a good thing as OS's progress. USB2 and 3 won't be here forever, and it 20 years you may not be able to connect those USB radios to a computer... maybe. I like the multiple antenna connections, dual HF antenna connections with build in antenna tuner. I have experience with the Yaesu 991A and the TS-2000 is easier to use and has equivalent HF performance (in my opinion) for the same money. The rig has been in production for more than 10 years so all the production bugs are worked out. It's a solid performer if you are looking for one radio to do it all and won't break the bank.

ON4IQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2017 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot has been said about the TS-2000, it has had issues (filters) and there have been complaints about sensitivity. I have now my 3th TS2000 (changed a couple of times over the last 20y to shift in interest); But now using it on 432MHZ.
As is the sensitivity is average inspite of a front-end that theoretically should be excellent. NF of the FET can be below 2dB. Got a lot of feedback from hams that it is in reality 5-6dB hence my search for a solution.
Proved to be easy, inject your RX signal straight into the RX board.
The antenna jack to RX board circuit is the reason of the low sensitivity, once to do the work around here the NF goes down below 2dB making the ts2000 a good deal (2nd hand they go below 1000euro or $ nowadays)
Johan
ON4IQ

WD4ED Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2017 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Jack of all trades, master at none!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my TS-2000 (2008 Build) used, but have owned it about 2.5 years now. It showed up with a couple of issues. Low sensitivity on Main UHF and both RX and TX way off frequency. Once fixed it's been a pretty good backup HF rig and primary UHF/VHF rig. Mostly 2m Voice and 6m Digital with a Signalink USB. Which was pretty easy to make work with the TS-2000. On HF it hears everything my FTdx3000 hears, sound quality is almost as good. Rejection to strong, nearby signals is not as good. DSP is effective but isn't as good as the Newer Yaesu. But that is to be expected. The TS-2000 is a bit confusing with the S-Meter readings, but can be corrected if you have the test equipment. TX audio... Never any complaints but never any unsolicited complements either. And I do use a studio grade mic. The same mic on the FTdx3000 gets a lot of complements. Overall, it's a good rig that can do a lot for little money off the used market. I did use it as a primary rig for a while and it was fine. But on HF it's just not the HF rig that the FTdx3000 is. But again, that's to be expected. If you need a super-flexible, shack in a box it will work!

GONWX Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2017 01:44 Send this review to a friend
New to Kenwood  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having always been a Yaesu operator but recently having owned a TS950S I decided to buy a TS2000x. My model is a Nov 2016 and so has the latest software etc.

Overall I am very pleased with the rig especially on vhf/uhf.

On hf I would say its may be not as good as my ts950s but does serve its purpose.

If your new to rigs with menu's it can take a little bit of getting used to but the manual is good and there are lots of youtube video's showing features of the rig.

I had mine opened up to work 60mts and receive air band vhf. On the air band I have compared it to a couple of 100 to 200 scanners and it is not as good on reception as those but then they are designed for reception only.

The internal atu works fine and running in conjunction with an external atu I find I can tune just about anything from a g5rv to a random long wire.

I have not worked any SAT with it but do have it hooked up to HRD and it works fine with this software.

I stuck with the standard fist mic supplied and have been complimented on the good audio being put out by the rig.

If you give the rig time and play with its features I think you will be pleased with it.

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2017 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seems the people who give this rig bad reviews don't know how to use it. I can believe some come with defects, but the bad reviews make me laugh. I've had a 2000 X for years and the receive, transmit audio and DSP work great. If you can't figure it out, then read the the manual. If you still can't, I suggest selling it.

WA6EJO Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Just Love Mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great general purpose rig. I have the TS-2000X version and do use its 1296 MHz band which was a huge selling point for me. Great for VHF contesting as it gives you 4 bands (6M, 2M, 70cm, 23cm) in one box. Love the multiple antenna connections so no coax switches are required. It can store up to 20 long DTMF strings for controlling repeater systems.
What is it missing? - No panadaptor and no 220 MHz band.

M0MCX Rating: 3/5 Feb 21, 2017 13:22 Send this review to a friend
OK for general purpose fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a TS2000 in my shack with a load of other rigs for well over 10 years. These days, this rig is outdated (for a Kenwood) because no USB soundcard - so for any digital work, you'll need all those wires and a silly box. In the main, I've used mine on 2m and 70cms FM and SSB. On these bands, the rig holds up pretty well, even for SSB work - and I seem to recall it's on par with the ICOM 910 VHF-only rig (which was originally billed as a VHF flagship).

The real problem is HF. For Thursday morning nets on 80m, you'll probably not notice but if you are using this radio on 40m on a crowded band, you'll suffer from a) QRM each side of you and there's no real way of dialing this out (which most new rigs can cope with better) and b) on both 80m and 40m, the rig can literally "die" from a signal somewhere else on the band, probably within 5kHz of your run / QSO frequency. No warning and no QRM, but the S meter will fall to zero as if you have unplugged the aerial. Yes, it takes a seriously big signal to do this but heck, on 40m - there are some 40db+ signals sometimes near you and you will suffer from that de-sense issue. Of course, it'll probably suffer the same on other bands too but you are less likely to suffer it from lack of wall-to-wall signals unless on a big contest (and this is *NOT* a contest box!).

Although the rig has the potential to suffer on any band, in the main the stronger signals (with basic wire aerials) will be on the lower bands when massive NVIS signals come your way. It's OK if that big signal is on your frequency because you are calling them (or visa versa) but on a Field Day once, we had to literally time our calls so that we could complete QSOs when in the vicinity of kilowatt+ signals nearby. Very embarrassing.

However, as a "toy" radio, I still rather like it. I'd never use it on HF again for the reasons discussed - maybe as a dedicated WARC rig or something but not for digital on 30m. Too much hassle setting the old girl up with "signal-links" or Microham controllers etc. These days there are much better digital solutions where a single USB line is all that's required for audio in/out and CAT control. Kenwood (and Elecraft) rule the roost for this although I note the Yaesu FT-991 has an on-board USB connector for audio and CAT. Actually, I've just watched a video review of this rig and I recommend you have a look too.

Last year, I bolted my TS2000 to the trunk / boot area on my vehicle and ran the RC2000 remote head up front. Basically I had a multimode VHF rig. I tried some of the HF bands mobile but frankly a waste of time. Mobile rigs need some extra power in my opinion else you are just some teeny-weeny little pistol annoying people :)

Conclusion: Great as a spare rig, mobile or playing portable or maybe a holiday rig. if you need any serious work on HF, look elsewhere. Good for VHF / UHF and they can sound wonderful with a cool outboard microphone (mine sounded amazing on FM with a Heil Goldline apparently).

Would I ever buy another one: Possibly but only for VHF. The fact it has HF is cool and handy but there are much better tools for the job these days.

Mobile: You'd be better off with a 200 Watt TS480 and a separate VHF / UHF FM set with lots of money to spare for some nice mobile aerials - unless you need SSB at VHF / UHF as well in which case options appear limited. However the Yaesu FT-991 looks a good all-rounder (because of that USB connector as discussed) but doesn't have a flip-off front or a remote head for mobile.

Fair review? I hope so. Don't be put off. there are some nice used ones out there that hold their value. But if you want digital though - maybe look at other solutions unless you already have a digital interface between your rig and a computer.