Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 494 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2015 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Mine is staying right here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my TS-2000 for more than a dozen years now. I've owned quite a few radios during that time, and the TS-2000 has stayed in the shack while others come and go.

I give the radio a 5 based on its flexibility and utility.

For FM work, the TS-2000 main receiver was as sensitive as numerous ICOM and Yaeusu FM mobiles that have passed through my shack over the years. I would go so far as to say that in my opinion it was better. I've always felt the TS-2000's secondary receiver was not as good as the main receiver, but certainly equal to those other radios that came through here.

On the weak signal modes for V/U I have little to compare my TS-2000 to other than an old TS-600 single band 6-meter rig, which I believe is slightly more sensitive than the TS-2000, but also much easier to overload from strong adjacent signals when the band gets busy.

Keep in mind that you MUST have the pre-amp on when working V/U bands in any mode. The radio was designed to have the pre-amp ON at 20 meters and higher. Turn it off and the radio is deaf on V/U bands.

Let me say a word about the TS-2000 on HF. Yes, the receiver gets crunched on busy contest weekends. Most receivers except for the contest grade transceivers do. The worst was on 160 meter contests and I worked several of them with my TS-2000. I eventually added the INRAD replacement filter which greatly tamed the receiver, especially on 160 meters. Still not the equal of today's highest priced transceivers, but certainly a workable radio you can have a lot of fun with.

Last fall I added a new TS-590 to the desk and coming from the TS-2000 it is familiar and a joy to use. Yes the receiver holds up better. But as I sit here writing this, I'm listening to the Mid-States Weather Net on 3.940 and there is another station at 3.938 at S9 on both receivers. With the DSP filtering adjusted the same on both transceivers, I switch between both radios and they sound exactly the same. The 590 definitely has the better receiver, but it shows up most on CW working a contest, not chewing the rag on 80 meters.

In my opinion, where the TS-2000 really shines is its flexibility. Want to work your buddies on the repeaters? Work SSB and CW? Run packet or APRS? Crossband a distant repeater to your HT while doing yard work? Work HF or 6 meters from the deck on your HT with Skycommand? I've done them all with my TS-2000 and more. It is the most flexible tool I have in my shack.

So is there still a place for the TS-2000? Definitely ! Today mine is used mostly for V/U FM, although it can easily slide down to 20 meter psk-31 for a qso. Many on the Kenwood groups keep speculating about a TS-2000 replacement, but I suspect they are still selling plenty of them as is.

N5IFI Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy in Ham Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio has been the best buy and remains the best buy in Amateur radio bar none.
I call it a Ham Radio Station in a box and that's what it is. It's not better than my Flex. It's not better than a TS 990. They may not be the best 2 meter rig or the best 70cm rig on the market but they do so much so good that they are hard to beat and even then they are not as bad has many people would have you think they are even up against radios costing thousands of dollars more. They are plenty good for the average users who don't have a fortune to spend or a lot of room to operate there ham radio station. I don't have one at the main operating position but I wouldn't be without one either. They are that versatile.

CX5AL Rating: 0/5 May 20, 2015 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Very very awful !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
El equipo fue comprado en Aesham Orlando en Junio del 2014, a los dos meses falló mostrando en la pantalla solo puntos; le le exigió a Aesham la garantía y se pudo enviar en Octubre del 2014, se envió con la caja original y todos los accesorios que venían con el equipo, manuales, cables, etc. como nuevo.

Ellos lo enviaron al servicio Oficial Kenwood en Virginia Beach, lo devolvieron en Abril del 2015, el costo del envío y devolución me costó 325 dólares.

Cuando recibí el equipo solamente enviaron el transceptor, Kenwood se apropió de caja, micrófono, manuales y todos los accesorios y no quiere devolverlos. Se robaron las cosas !!!

El equipo sigue teniendo la misma falla !!!!, no fue reparado, luego de casi 11 meses sigue igual.

Reclamé a Aesham y a Kenwood, y Kenwood dice que los equipos vendidos a sudamérica NO tienen garantía, que si quiero lo envíe de nuevo a ellos cubriendo todos los costos.

En resumen, Kenwood me vendió un equipo fallado, lo tuvo 7 meses, me costó 325 dólares enviar y recibir, se apropiaron de todos los accesorios, y no lo repararon, y no lo quieren reparar porque estamos en sudamérica.

El Kenwood TS2000x es una basura, Aesham no responde por los equipos que vende, Kenwood no responde por sus errores.

Sugiero no comprar nunca más equipos Kenwood.

N8MJS Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2015 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Plays good but leaves you wanting more.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The idea is great. One radio that will do almost every amateur band in all modes.
Let me start off and say the radio is fully functional and will allow you to enjoy all of HF as well as VHF and UHF without having 2 or 3 different rigs on the desk.
I purchased mine new 3 years ago.
I really like the layout of controls and the menu system is very easy to use.
I have never received any complaints with the over the air audio from the Kenwood supplied microphone.
In my opinion the TS-2000 has everything I could ask for on paper.

Now the part that leaves me wanting more.
1.When you switch to VHF or UHF you loose the ability to monitor your atennas SWR. To me that could have been easily included during the designs of this radio.
2. I have to use the receiver PRE amp on all bands to actually feel like I'm hearing everything. On VHF and UHF this is a absolute must. Even with the PRE amp on the receiver still seems to not be the most sensitive on VHF/UHF.
I have a Kenwood TM-281A mobile rig that will out hear the TS-2000 hands down on 2 meters.
You would think Kenwood would redesign or make a software update to help improve the lack of receiver sensitivity on VHF and UHF. I even called Kenwood and talked to a representative and he said the TS-2000 is doing the best it can and to compare the receiver sensitivity to a Kenwood TM-281A is unfair. It is also unfair that one cost roughly 1/10th of the other in respects to just comparing 2 meter FM receiver sensitivity.
I guess for Local repeater uses and such one may not notice the lack of receiver sensitivity.
But in my case I do alot of long distance 2 meter FM simplex and repeater work with my Cushcraft 26B2 antenna.
I do understand that having all the HF bands and VHF/UHF in a radio can be somewhat of a compromise but poor receiver sensitivity is never a good thing in radio communication.

I still rate the TS-2000 with a 4 because it is a reliable rig that has many good features. I enjoy using mine daily but wish it could be more than what it is.

If your main interest is HF than I would suggest going with a Kenwood TS-480 instead of the TS-2000.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2015 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Only one problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two TS2000's: a TS2000 and a TS2000(X). The ONLY problem I have had was a failed T/R relay in the (X) model. Otherwise, they have performed flawlessly. Anyone who has used my radios has gone away impressed.

KB1KVL Rating: 0/5 Apr 25, 2015 12:52 Send this review to a friend
P.O.S. Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, I bought this radio Jan 3, 2008. Today is Apr 25, 2015.

When I first received the radio I was pleased with it. The filtering was fairly good. I suppose if I set the HICUT to 1400HZ, it blocked signals within 2KC away. The trouble is it was hard to understand when they were talking. Oh well. Overall I was happy with it until one day I wanted to listen to a 2m repeater on the Main side. It was noisy as heck. In time, a number of months or maybe a year, the noise disappeared when I was listening to 2m on the main side. The sigs were extremely low. It was like no preamp was on. BTW, If you noticed, I never mentioned until now that no matter what, the preamp had to be on because the sensitivity sucks without it.

To continue; the MULTI CH knob started skipping memory channels all the time. It was all over the place.

Shortly after that, the HI SHIFT was doing the same thing. It was skipping all the time. This radio is a piece of shut.

That's not all. In less than 7 years almost all the buttons need replacing because the printing is worn. I never used the buttons any more than anyone else would.

Here is another complaint about my Kenwood. Unless you do some type of mod to the MC-60 or 60A desk mic, everytime you touch the base of the mic it transmit RF. That's no fun. It is a piece of crap.

Do yourself a big favor. Stay away from this P.O.S. There are far better radios on the market at a cheaper price. I have my eye on a Yaesu FT-1200. If you got a thing that you have to have a Kenwood, try the TS-480. From what I heard on YouTube, it has a far better receiver than the TS-2000.

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME ASKING MORE ABOUT THIS RADIO. THIS IS CLOSED. If you wanted a true evaluation over the long term, 7 years, I gave you one. I rate it zero.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio and CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine for a couple of years now. Really find the audio pleasing - probably the best I've had over the years. I own several rigs, and the 2000 beats my Omni VI+, FT-897D, IC-740, and Pegasus hands down as far as ability to listen for long periods of time without getting fatigued.

The filtering is easy to use and very effective too. It is my primary CW radio, even with the other choices I have currently.

Computer control is a breeze. I have a microham Digikeyer and Ham Radio Deluxe. No problems and the software gives me complete control over the radio.

I think of "upgrading" from time to time, but really can't think of reason why.

KB5CEJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2015 16:20 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one for several years and except for the fan noise (of which I replaced)I couldn't complain about it. The auto-tuner was fine for my needs, and I enjoyed being on HF while monitoring UHF. Transmit audio was (as expected)very good, and reception was on-par for rig's in that price range, with similar features.

VE3WGO Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2015 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Multipurpose Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my TS-2000X since 2004, and it has traveled a lot with me, several times as carry-on luggage, and a mini-DXexpedition up to Iqaluit (in the Canadian Arctic) during the summer of 2007. It has been reliable - only once has it failed - the Tx driver transistors packed in a couple of years ago and it was quickly repaired at Radioworld (Toronto). The Tx and Rx response/equalizer controls are quite effective, and the tuning and interference handling controls are easy to use. I have used it on all bands up to 1296 and it performs well. I get good audio reports, and Rx audio is pleasing to listen to. I have never needed to update the firmware, although I noticed that there are a few updates available on the Kenwood website. One mode I haven't tried yet is satellite and that is probably next on my list to do. If there was one performance improvement I would wish for it would be a bit sharper IF filtering on HF but it's not a frequent problem. Inrad makes a filter for that if I change my mind. It is very easy to carry (even though this rig truly is a shack in a box), and all things considered, it is a very good value for the money.

N4WGY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2015 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had and heavily operated my TS-2k for over two years. The more I operate it the more I highly respect the capabilities and well executed engineering of this incredibly agile transceiver. My specimen has been 100% reliable, the few hiccups I've experienced in using it were all operator error. The learning curve in becoming very competent and intimate with all of it's capabilities was rather steep and long, and very worth it. Would I prefer a Flex 6700?!? YES, but until that becomes a fiscal possibility for me the TS-2000 has been and continues to be just downright fun! If you get one, give yourself some time and patience to get used to all of the features and menus, there are a lot of them and it takes some practice. Cheat sheets for the menu items help a lot!
Particularly cool capabilities: Built in TNC (awesome for Winlink 2000 users), cross band repeat, built in tuner, RX only antenna port, superb Kenwood audio with mic equalization, huge display, the list goes on.