Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 516 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

VE7REN Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2017 17:07 Send this review to a friend
average..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
2016 model .

I just acquired in new condition. ive always wanted to try the ts2000,but have opted for other radios over the years. finally acquired one,and I can say,it is a nice radio feature wise,but...... the receiver is lacking.. big time. I cant find the sweet spot like I can with my 7300,7410,756 pro3, and yes,my 718 sounds better in receive. no lie. I'm happy with all other aspects of the 2000,but the receiver just isn't pleasant like other radios.. I kinda knew this going in,cause I have some friends who own ts2000s,and I always notice the noisy receiver when I'm visiting them..verdict... if your looking for a overall flexable radio to do everything. get this one. if you want a radio to work some dx,and daily rag chews along with being enjoyable to listen to for long periods.. look elsewhere..would I buy again....hmmm. only if the price was right.overall still not a bad radio,but leaves me wanting more from the reciever
N8MJS Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2017 14:06 Send this review to a friend
HF power out failed.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased new from Gigiparts in December of 2013. The radio has been a decent performer up until this past weekend. Out of nowhere my transceiver developed an issue with no power out on any HF band. I feel for the money you pay when buying this transceiver new you should get much more than 3.5 years out of it before something fails. I am not a big HF Enthusiast but I do go there from time to time. I don't do any conesting or digital modes on HF. Only voice. I am very disappointed in the quality of my Kenwood ts-2000. I have since sent my ts-2000 to a repair facility.
I will await the outcome. I have heard some of the early model ts-2000's have had many issues but I would think by 2013 those would have been corrected with better quality control checking at the factory.
I have never had any Icom or Yaesu equipment so I cannot comment on them. But I will forever have a doubt in my mind about buying Kenwood.
N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2017 08:56 Send this review to a friend
A Pleasant Surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first, all the buttons are overwhelming! Once you work with this rig, the intimidation fades out.

It is a good rig built on good old Kenwood technology. You cannot go wrong with KENWOOD'S dependable quality,
LAMBERTINOS Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio full equiped  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio. Do a lot of things with it. Need more filter on VHF. Got some interference. Replace the light by green leds. Much better contrast. Really like the cross band UHF to HF!
KC1SA Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2017 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Don't overlook the value of the TS-2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TS-2000 for over three years now and has worked nearly perfectly. Initially the S-Meter was way off, the factory suggested I do a factory reset and to leave the pre-amp on. Doing those two things make the S-meter believable (but your ears are the best judge). PSK, RTTY, JT, CW, SSB and VHF/UHF all work flawlessly. I did add the Inrad filter to improve preformance, and that made the radio even better in crowded band conditions. There is no USB port on the rig, and that may be a good thing as OS's progress. USB2 and 3 won't be here forever, and it 20 years you may not be able to connect those USB radios to a computer... maybe. I like the multiple antenna connections, dual HF antenna connections with build in antenna tuner. I have experience with the Yaesu 991A and the TS-2000 is easier to use and has equivalent HF performance (in my opinion) for the same money. The rig has been in production for more than 10 years so all the production bugs are worked out. It's a solid performer if you are looking for one radio to do it all and won't break the bank.
ON4IQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2017 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot has been said about the TS-2000, it has had issues (filters) and there have been complaints about sensitivity. I have now my 3th TS2000 (changed a couple of times over the last 20y to shift in interest); But now using it on 432MHZ.
As is the sensitivity is average inspite of a front-end that theoretically should be excellent. NF of the FET can be below 2dB. Got a lot of feedback from hams that it is in reality 5-6dB hence my search for a solution.
Proved to be easy, inject your RX signal straight into the RX board.
The antenna jack to RX board circuit is the reason of the low sensitivity, once to do the work around here the NF goes down below 2dB making the ts2000 a good deal (2nd hand they go below 1000euro or $ nowadays)
WD4ED Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2017 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Jack of all trades, master at none!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my TS-2000 (2008 Build) used, but have owned it about 2.5 years now. It showed up with a couple of issues. Low sensitivity on Main UHF and both RX and TX way off frequency. Once fixed it's been a pretty good backup HF rig and primary UHF/VHF rig. Mostly 2m Voice and 6m Digital with a Signalink USB. Which was pretty easy to make work with the TS-2000. On HF it hears everything my FTdx3000 hears, sound quality is almost as good. Rejection to strong, nearby signals is not as good. DSP is effective but isn't as good as the Newer Yaesu. But that is to be expected. The TS-2000 is a bit confusing with the S-Meter readings, but can be corrected if you have the test equipment. TX audio... Never any complaints but never any unsolicited complements either. And I do use a studio grade mic. The same mic on the FTdx3000 gets a lot of complements. Overall, it's a good rig that can do a lot for little money off the used market. I did use it as a primary rig for a while and it was fine. But on HF it's just not the HF rig that the FTdx3000 is. But again, that's to be expected. If you need a super-flexible, shack in a box it will work!
GONWX Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2017 01:44 Send this review to a friend
New to Kenwood  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having always been a Yaesu operator but recently having owned a TS950S I decided to buy a TS2000x. My model is a Nov 2016 and so has the latest software etc.

Overall I am very pleased with the rig especially on vhf/uhf.

On hf I would say its may be not as good as my ts950s but does serve its purpose.

If your new to rigs with menu's it can take a little bit of getting used to but the manual is good and there are lots of youtube video's showing features of the rig.

I had mine opened up to work 60mts and receive air band vhf. On the air band I have compared it to a couple of 100 to 200 scanners and it is not as good on reception as those but then they are designed for reception only.

The internal atu works fine and running in conjunction with an external atu I find I can tune just about anything from a g5rv to a random long wire.

I have not worked any SAT with it but do have it hooked up to HRD and it works fine with this software.

I stuck with the standard fist mic supplied and have been complimented on the good audio being put out by the rig.

If you give the rig time and play with its features I think you will be pleased with it.
N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2017 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seems the people who give this rig bad reviews don't know how to use it. I can believe some come with defects, but the bad reviews make me laugh. I've had a 2000 X for years and the receive, transmit audio and DSP work great. If you can't figure it out, then read the the manual. If you still can't, I suggest selling it.
WA6EJO Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Just Love Mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great general purpose rig. I have the TS-2000X version and do use its 1296 MHz band which was a huge selling point for me. Great for VHF contesting as it gives you 4 bands (6M, 2M, 70cm, 23cm) in one box. Love the multiple antenna connections so no coax switches are required. It can store up to 20 long DTMF strings for controlling repeater systems.
What is it missing? - No panadaptor and no 220 MHz band.