Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 485 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

N4ZBO Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 21:08 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have wanted one of these for quite some time like I have heard it all good things come to them who wate....
well my wate is over I have had this rig for a month now and could not be happier I heard the receve on 2meter was low but mine seems to work well with no real lose in the receve and with 2 meter pre amp it sounds good..
now mine got all the new filters in it the owner had that done just be for he sold it to me.
the rest of the h/f receve is the same as with rest of the rigs out there I am sure there are some who will say otherwise but each to there own liking on what sounds good.if you have a chance to get one grab it you like it...

AF5IU Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first HF rig. I purchased it during August 2013. With my G5RV and ham sticks, I have covered well over 100 countries including Antarctica. Please see my QRZ page for more details. I have heard that this radio is just mediocre, deaf, and just a plain Swiss Army knife. Well, it is a Swiss Army knife and it does everything well. I have been given many compliments by hams overseas. Many could not believe that all I had was a TS-2000 and a G5RV on 100 watts. Just this month I was told by a ham in Slovenia that I sounded like I was using a Yagi. I know that hams are known to just give you a "59" no matter what, but I believed him when he said I was a "59". I have flabbergasted hams on much more expensive rigs. I just tried out two brand new TS-590s and they went back where they came from. I did not pay a restocking fee either. Go read my review on the TS-590. If you DO ever have problems with your Kenwood product, beware of the ONE support guy in California who takes 99.9% of Kenwood USA amateur radio calls. Kenwood support is almost non-existent. You are better off calling the place where you bought it, or talk with another ham operator because you will get better assistance. The ONLY thing that this ONE support person is right about is that the TS-2000 is a "WOW" radio. This radio also has a very nice PEAK HOLD meter for SSB and the TS-590S does not.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 15:37 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got my third today. been 7 years. forgot how nice it is. traded my icom 7100, just too small for my 80 year old hands and eyes. Kenwood is easy to operate. glad i came back.. wanted a radio for hf and two meters at same time. it does a great job. got more than 100 qsl cards from oscar 14 and 27 long ago. did enjoy sat. work

K8BZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Top of the line receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I submitted a review about a year ago after having the TS-2000 for a short period of time. I used the rig primarily for VHF packet and satellite work and used an IC-7600 for my main interests of DXing. In the recent DXpeditions to XZ1J, VK9/K7CO and current expitions to T6DD and TX6G, I "just for fun" decided to see how the TS-2000's receiver stacked up against the IC-7600. I tuned both receivers to very weak stations working a pile up in these expiditions and when I could barely hear them above the noise floor of the IC-7600, to the point where it would be hard to determin if they were working me, they were 100% readable on the TS-2000 with vertually no detectable noise. To say the least I was surprised, and more accurately shocked when the Icom's price is $2,000 over the cost of the TS-2000. The same antenna was used for the receive test and I only had to switch an antenna switch to quickly put the tribander on the other rig. If this is tipical of the performance of the two receivers, the TS-2000 far outshines the IC-7600 for weak signal CW.

K4GNO Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Flexibility  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the TS-2000 for over nine years and love the flexibility that it brings to my shack. I've been an active ham for 59 years and have had many fine rigs. I can hear anything I can work and find the receiver to be more than adequate. I have a triplexer for 6, 2, and 440 and worked with a 130' OCF I can cover a wide range of frequencies. It's a keeper!

KM3F Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2014 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Big bang for the cost  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While not an owner very long, I want to comment on some items others see as a minus.
1.The de-sense from close by signals.
If the Hi cut is out to 5k it will be a normal invitation to de-sense the receive. Dial it back to 2.8 or less as needed and the de-sense is no longer a factor. Use the controls as needed.
I can eliminate side band splash as close as 1.5 kc by hi cutting below 2000 without loss of good intelligibility. I think this is pretty good performance.
2. S meter seems to lack an indication of sensitivity. A check of actual sensitivity specs shows it not any wost than most other makes for RX sensitivity. The RX comes very close to the Collins standard for S9 sensitivity. Other makes are fudging this calibration to make their RX look more sensitive from an S meter point of view when they likely are not actually any better..
This is a result of no 'standard' being used.
3. The Beat cancel, manual beat control and noise reductions work very well for my use on AM and SSB.
4. With the Memory control program there are useful tricks to add operating performance to AM Rx when SSB operation is close by..
Example set up AM in memory so you can Rx in SSB and have full use of the filtering but still Tx in AM or as cross 'mode' operation. The beat note is handled by RIT shifting. Again, use the controls.
Bottom line is to use the control functions the radio has and not expect to just move a VFO and have everything perfect without any other efforts.

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2014 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned both a TS-2000 and a TS-2000X. Both rig preformed great. No problems, no trips back to kenwood for filters etc. The looks of the radio are fine by me. If I was to get a good deal on another one would I buy it? YES.

Now having said that. I now have a 756ProII and had a chance to compare the ProII and the 2000 side by side. The TS-2000 receiver was just not as good in any way. Things the Icom could hear were not even a tickle on the 2000.
Using both hooked to my Signalink and looking at the waterfall the Icom was hearing signals that the 2000 didn't even trace a hint of.
This is not to say the 2000 has a bad receiver, it is just not as hot as the Icom. IMHO

Dan

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2014 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Fun Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the all mode all band aspects of this radio. I also like the looks of the ts2000. Audio reports have been good on ssb & fm. Reciever sensitivity may be a tad low, but I like the low noise floor.NR functions are not that good from what I've heard so far. DSP functions work fairly well. The sub receiver is also very nice to have. On HF tested receive to an IC7200 campares nicely.Build quality is very good in my opinion.Many buttons on the front panel, manual is needed, however does not take long to operate the radio with ease. The TS2000 may be an older design but so far I really like this radio, all mode FUN. 73

AB9OS Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Deaf on Receive - Filters Gave Out  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Kenwood TS-2000 for 6+ years. It is the primary rig in my shack and I've really enjoyed it. Recently I moved across country but instead of trusting my ham gear to movers, I transported the rig myself in my own car. Once I was able to get an antenna up at the new location, I hooked up the rig and noticed the receive was deaf on all HF bands. Not sure what the problem was, I sent it in to the Kenwood repair shop in California (FTH Group Inc) and they said that the serial numbers of my rig matched up with a production of radios with bad filters. They swapped out all the filters and sent it back to me free of charge within one week. I just fired up the rig and it sounds great. Picking up all the weak signals on all bands.

I've used this radio in the field for race events as a base station and cross-band repeater. I've also used it in contests on HF and can't say enough good things about this rig. The filter issue is the only problem I've had and I'm happy to say Kenwood stood by the product, even though I've owned it for years. I would definitely buy this rig again, and highly recommend it.

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Great for DXers  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my previous post, the DSP parameters I gave were for serious DXers. Ragchewing and setting the HIGH/SHIFT above 2000, the TS-590 may have a slightly superior receiver. The DX settings make the TS-2000 equal to the TS-590 since the '590s Roofing filter is so broad. However, the transmitted audio on the TS-2000 is clearer and less distorted. Another performance advantage the TS-2000 has over the TS-590 is on the TS-2000 you set the mike gain using the ALC and forget it. On both TS-590s I owned, you set the mike gain today and tomorrow the ALC would be too high and the day after, it would be too low. Never could get the mike gain and processor gain to stay the same day after day. I constantly had to re-adjust it. People kept telling me this or that rig was much better than the TS-2000. I wasted money by selling my TS-2000s, and being dissatisfied with the suggested rigs, I always came back to the TS-2000. In following the advice of others, buying and selling rigs, I have owned at least 5 TS-2000s. The only rig I have found to have a superior receiver to the TS-2000 was the TS-870 and I would buy a new one today if they were still making them.