Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 487 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

AB9OS Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Deaf on Receive - Filters Gave Out  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Kenwood TS-2000 for 6+ years. It is the primary rig in my shack and I've really enjoyed it. Recently I moved across country but instead of trusting my ham gear to movers, I transported the rig myself in my own car. Once I was able to get an antenna up at the new location, I hooked up the rig and noticed the receive was deaf on all HF bands. Not sure what the problem was, I sent it in to the Kenwood repair shop in California (FTH Group Inc) and they said that the serial numbers of my rig matched up with a production of radios with bad filters. They swapped out all the filters and sent it back to me free of charge within one week. I just fired up the rig and it sounds great. Picking up all the weak signals on all bands.

I've used this radio in the field for race events as a base station and cross-band repeater. I've also used it in contests on HF and can't say enough good things about this rig. The filter issue is the only problem I've had and I'm happy to say Kenwood stood by the product, even though I've owned it for years. I would definitely buy this rig again, and highly recommend it.

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Great for DXers  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my previous post, the DSP parameters I gave were for serious DXers. Ragchewing and setting the HIGH/SHIFT above 2000, the TS-590 may have a slightly superior receiver. The DX settings make the TS-2000 equal to the TS-590 since the '590s Roofing filter is so broad. However, the transmitted audio on the TS-2000 is clearer and less distorted. Another performance advantage the TS-2000 has over the TS-590 is on the TS-2000 you set the mike gain using the ALC and forget it. On both TS-590s I owned, you set the mike gain today and tomorrow the ALC would be too high and the day after, it would be too low. Never could get the mike gain and processor gain to stay the same day after day. I constantly had to re-adjust it. People kept telling me this or that rig was much better than the TS-2000. I wasted money by selling my TS-2000s, and being dissatisfied with the suggested rigs, I always came back to the TS-2000. In following the advice of others, buying and selling rigs, I have owned at least 5 TS-2000s. The only rig I have found to have a superior receiver to the TS-2000 was the TS-870 and I would buy a new one today if they were still making them.

YO2LEO Rating: 3/5 Jul 2, 2013 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Remark TS2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
A. My first impression was that the TS2000 had a noisy reception.
I've found that the entry diodes band filters (RN731V, - D8, 12,14,16,18,20,22, 24, 27, 29, 31, 33 ) are not identical to those of the output filter bandwidth (D10, 13,15,17,19,21,23,25,28,30,32,34, which actually were LBF01). I searched in the catalog and found that PIN diode RN731V are very good. LBF01 diodes are poor than PIN diodes, and more noisy. I bought 12 pieces RN731V PIN diodes on EBay and Iíve replaced them. The noise level (white) has greatly decreased. The results are amazing - before, the noise level was -24 dB and after -36 db....
B. I noticed a disturbing noise from the cooling fan to TS2000. Iíve searched the web pages and found a compatible fan: Noctua NF-R8, 80X80X25 Iíve replaced it. Noise level very low 800 rpm / 17dB, 1300 rpm/10db, 1800 rpm/17db and air volume much larger than the original one.
C. The use of each day I noticed that powerful stations or those who are close to me were disturbing me. Attenuation signal is quite low at 2.4 kHz. I bought a 2100 Hz filter from INRAD 10695 kHz SSB 8-pole crystal filter. After changing this filter Iíve noticed a higher sensitivity to RX, very selective, and now the powerful stations and the ones near me are not more disturbing. Iíve ejected the Antenna and the white noise was very low with the volume set to max.
D. Iíve found that 455 kHz MURATA filter has a bandwidth of 2.7 kHz in the 3rd intermediate frequency and its high enough. I replaced the filter with one identical Murata 455 kHz but the 2.4 kHz.
E. CF 4 filter (455 kHz, E) TOKO have a manufacturing defect. After some time of use, due plates pierce resonant continuous DC current leaking particles that entered the filter. The circuit in the service manual show there is no DC blocking capacitor on the output of the CF4 filter (455 kHz E) TOKO recommend a DC decoupling capacitor to be installed for safety reasons. The signal goes thru the resistor R226 1k5 and directly to pin Input in IC. Thus, there is around 1,5 V DC on pin 2 on the filter. This must be avoided. So we must install a DC block capacitor on the output of CF4. Install DC block 470 nF 0805 X5R capacitor on the output of CF4 to prevent DC from destroying the filter. The X5R has less than 1 ohm impedance at 455 kHz, so no other impact than DC block will occur in the circuit. You must cut the trace and solder in the SMD capacitor, I found size 0805 to fit nicely. The trace is very small so extreme care must be taken when cutting/soldering. Filter TOKO have the equivalent to the filter LTM455.
Conclusions made after the changes: 1. the white noise is now very low. 2. Very good selectivity .3. Increased sensitivity to RX better than data from the manufacturer. 4. Almost zero noise cooling fan TS2000. Now itís a pleasure to listen the frequency.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2013 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all, Saved FD Bacon, Still Ugly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used a friend's 2000 during 2013 FD. It's not a bad radio at all, even if the front panel is butt ugly. We ran a 3 hour pileup on 6 meters Sunday morning around 50.134, and it just kept going and going and going.

No complaints, and the radio helped us make a gang of contacts.

KB8DNS Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2013 00:45 Send this review to a friend
Not a "Ho-Hum" rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started out with a Kenwood TS-430 in 1988 and then to a TS-440 in 1993, so I am no stranger to the Kenwood HF rigs. I had the chance to buy a used TS-2000 (new in 2006) at the end of April 2013 and it had the filter problems. I ordered my own selection of filters from Mouser and installed then including the DC blocking cap. Now it is able to hear! The DSP really was working to overcome the filter noise!!
I am using the PS-30 from my old TS-430 but I run the 2000 at about 50 to 75 watts to keep the heat off the PS. Great audio reports of my transmissions! I find the rig to be fairly easy to use after a lookup in the manual. I now have VHF and UHF all mode and hope to do some SAT work.
I still have my ICOM IC-746 that I bought new in 2000, it "hears" better than the 2000 without the pre-amp but I find the rigs to be close and different at the same time. As most said the TS-2000 is a good all around rig that has great audio! I use a MC-60 mic.
The fan is noisy but can be swapped out, but not too much of a problem. As for the filter work, I found it to be straight forward but I do not recommend for the novice at soldering.
The HF receive is very good and with the dedicated RCA input of HF sigs, it works well bypassing the band filters.
I find the receive on VHF / UHF to be good but you need a high gain antenna or use the pre amp. The HF tuner works splendid and better than what I remember of the TS-440, almost the same as the ICOM.
I find this to be a "Swiss Army Knife" of transceivers but a maybe a bit too many "blades" for some! Now to change out those annoying amber display lights! 73 Rod KB8DNS

W6TWM Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2013 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Multi-Purpose Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio about a month ago. My last 3 HF rigs were Yaesus with the most recent being an FT767. Now I use this one TS-2000 for HF voice, HF MARS, HF Winmor, HF Digital modes, VHF Packet,(w/built-in-TNC) VHF/UHF voice repeaters,(Amateur and MARS )and VHF/UHF simplex. It truly is a shack in a box! I was putting funds aside for a different rig, but when the Yaesu started showing signs of old age, I needed a radio NOW and the Kenwood was difficult to beat for the price and features. The 100 Watts out on 2 meters was the final selling point.

K4DSP Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Great overall  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the TS-2000 for over over 10 years, and while it's not necessarily the best at anything it's good at everything. It's the one rig I have kept while others came and went. If I could only have one radio the TS-2000 would be it.

A few random observations: The receiver, while plenty sensitive, suffers somewhat in the presence of very strong signals, but the judicious use of the attenuator helps. Except for VHF and 10m I find no reason to use the preamp. The QSK is surprisingly good, better than a lot of radios 10 years newer. I have used it at 100w in a number of RTTY contests with no problems. I don't find the DSP noise reduction particularly helpful, but the IF filtering is good, and it's nice not having to buy crystal filters. I've had one failure when one of the preamp FETs died, but it was fairly easy to replace and only cost a few bucks.

I tapped into the 10.695 MHz IF and brought it out to a connector on the rear panel. With appropriate hardware/software you can get a panadapter with a span of about 30 kHz which is a handy feature.

I would love to see an updated version of this radio, maybe with a receiver of the calibre of the TS-590.
73, Doug K4DSP

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2013 08:11 Send this review to a friend
I like mine!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig for almost 10 years and never had any problems what so ever!!. I run mostly SSB most the time. I did have a flex 1000 and 5000, the Kenwood TS-590 and the Kenwood TS-480sat. I still have the TS-2000 and the rest are gone. For what I do, and along with having 2 meters and 70cm bands in one package it works great. I did have a couple of other TS-2000 rigs along the way. One was good and one was not so good. I'm not sure if the new ones are better or worse..If you get a good you would like it. I will have to give mine a 5. Too bad they are not all the same but what rigs are??? That's my story!!

W8MLD Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2013 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Best ham shack in a box  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Kenwood TS2000X is my 2nd HF rig since I have been licensed in 2008. My first was an Alinco DX70. I bought the 2000X because I enjoy working VHF/UHF SSB, satellites, meteor scatter and EME. It was hard to find 2 meter all mode rigs now a days. The DSP at the IF stage is great on the 2000, helps cut out QRM. So far it has been a great performer. Receive is good; if it gets noisy turning off the preamp usually cures the problem. I also love the DX packet cluster feature; it shows the band and call sign of the spot, and one button puts the frequency on the main transceiver. A lot of reviewers seem to expect $10000 performance from the TS2000 that only costs $2000. This radio does it all from 160 meters to 23 cm if you add that. You can also use HF from your Kenwood HT or 2m/440 mobile with SkyKommand II. To me that is just an extra thing that makes the 2000 worth having.

2E0WBL Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
All things to all Hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my TS2000 as bargain when a dealer screwed up another deal, and I'm grateful for what happened! There seem to be acouple of gripes among the reviews that I just don't understand.
1. Yes, the fan runs. But it only runs when it needs to, like when the rig has been transmitting and generating heat. If it didn't run, you'd have a lot more to moan about!
2. It isn't deaf on 2m. It works perfectly well on 2m. It doesn't need a pre-amp, because it has one built in, but you do have to press the button to turn it on if you need to(top left, marked "PRE")!!!

At present, I run no more than 10w because of my licence, but I get great reports from whoever I speak to, both local and DX.
Overall, this is a great radio, but you do have to spend a little time setting it up to get the best out of it, because it is complicated. Buy one, you won't be disappointed. 73's M6MEQ