Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 500 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

N5IFI Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy in Ham Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio has been the best buy and remains the best buy in Amateur radio bar none.
I call it a Ham Radio Station in a box and that's what it is. It's not better than my Flex. It's not better than a TS 990. They may not be the best 2 meter rig or the best 70cm rig on the market but they do so much so good that they are hard to beat and even then they are not as bad has many people would have you think they are even up against radios costing thousands of dollars more. They are plenty good for the average users who don't have a fortune to spend or a lot of room to operate there ham radio station. I don't have one at the main operating position but I wouldn't be without one either. They are that versatile.

CX5AL Rating: 0/5 May 20, 2015 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Very very awful !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
El equipo fue comprado en Aesham Orlando en Junio del 2014, a los dos meses falló mostrando en la pantalla solo puntos; le le exigió a Aesham la garantía y se pudo enviar en Octubre del 2014, se envió con la caja original y todos los accesorios que venían con el equipo, manuales, cables, etc. como nuevo.

Ellos lo enviaron al servicio Oficial Kenwood en Virginia Beach, lo devolvieron en Abril del 2015, el costo del envío y devolución me costó 325 dólares.

Cuando recibí el equipo solamente enviaron el transceptor, Kenwood se apropió de caja, micrófono, manuales y todos los accesorios y no quiere devolverlos. Se robaron las cosas !!!

El equipo sigue teniendo la misma falla !!!!, no fue reparado, luego de casi 11 meses sigue igual.

Reclamé a Aesham y a Kenwood, y Kenwood dice que los equipos vendidos a sudamérica NO tienen garantía, que si quiero lo envíe de nuevo a ellos cubriendo todos los costos.

En resumen, Kenwood me vendió un equipo fallado, lo tuvo 7 meses, me costó 325 dólares enviar y recibir, se apropiaron de todos los accesorios, y no lo repararon, y no lo quieren reparar porque estamos en sudamérica.

El Kenwood TS2000x es una basura, Aesham no responde por los equipos que vende, Kenwood no responde por sus errores.

Sugiero no comprar nunca más equipos Kenwood.

N8MJS Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2015 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Plays good but leaves you wanting more.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The idea is great. One radio that will do almost every amateur band in all modes.
Let me start off and say the radio is fully functional and will allow you to enjoy all of HF as well as VHF and UHF without having 2 or 3 different rigs on the desk.
I purchased mine new 3 years ago.
I really like the layout of controls and the menu system is very easy to use.
I have never received any complaints with the over the air audio from the Kenwood supplied microphone.
In my opinion the TS-2000 has everything I could ask for on paper.

Now the part that leaves me wanting more.
1.When you switch to VHF or UHF you loose the ability to monitor your atennas SWR. To me that could have been easily included during the designs of this radio.
2. I have to use the receiver PRE amp on all bands to actually feel like I'm hearing everything. On VHF and UHF this is a absolute must. Even with the PRE amp on the receiver still seems to not be the most sensitive on VHF/UHF.
I have a Kenwood TM-281A mobile rig that will out hear the TS-2000 hands down on 2 meters.
You would think Kenwood would redesign or make a software update to help improve the lack of receiver sensitivity on VHF and UHF. I even called Kenwood and talked to a representative and he said the TS-2000 is doing the best it can and to compare the receiver sensitivity to a Kenwood TM-281A is unfair. It is also unfair that one cost roughly 1/10th of the other in respects to just comparing 2 meter FM receiver sensitivity.
I guess for Local repeater uses and such one may not notice the lack of receiver sensitivity.
But in my case I do alot of long distance 2 meter FM simplex and repeater work with my Cushcraft 26B2 antenna.
I do understand that having all the HF bands and VHF/UHF in a radio can be somewhat of a compromise but poor receiver sensitivity is never a good thing in radio communication.

I still rate the TS-2000 with a 4 because it is a reliable rig that has many good features. I enjoy using mine daily but wish it could be more than what it is.

If your main interest is HF than I would suggest going with a Kenwood TS-480 instead of the TS-2000.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2015 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Only one problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two TS2000's: a TS2000 and a TS2000(X). The ONLY problem I have had was a failed T/R relay in the (X) model. Otherwise, they have performed flawlessly. Anyone who has used my radios has gone away impressed.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio and CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine for a couple of years now. Really find the audio pleasing - probably the best I've had over the years. I own several rigs, and the 2000 beats my Omni VI+, FT-897D, IC-740, and Pegasus hands down as far as ability to listen for long periods of time without getting fatigued.

The filtering is easy to use and very effective too. It is my primary CW radio, even with the other choices I have currently.

Computer control is a breeze. I have a microham Digikeyer and Ham Radio Deluxe. No problems and the software gives me complete control over the radio.

I think of "upgrading" from time to time, but really can't think of reason why.

KB5CEJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2015 16:20 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one for several years and except for the fan noise (of which I replaced)I couldn't complain about it. The auto-tuner was fine for my needs, and I enjoyed being on HF while monitoring UHF. Transmit audio was (as expected)very good, and reception was on-par for rig's in that price range, with similar features.

VE3WGO Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2015 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Multipurpose Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my TS-2000X since 2004, and it has traveled a lot with me, several times as carry-on luggage, and a mini-DXexpedition up to Iqaluit (in the Canadian Arctic) during the summer of 2007. It has been reliable - only once has it failed - the Tx driver transistors packed in a couple of years ago and it was quickly repaired at Radioworld (Toronto). The Tx and Rx response/equalizer controls are quite effective, and the tuning and interference handling controls are easy to use. I have used it on all bands up to 1296 and it performs well. I get good audio reports, and Rx audio is pleasing to listen to. I have never needed to update the firmware, although I noticed that there are a few updates available on the Kenwood website. One mode I haven't tried yet is satellite and that is probably next on my list to do. If there was one performance improvement I would wish for it would be a bit sharper IF filtering on HF but it's not a frequent problem. Inrad makes a filter for that if I change my mind. It is very easy to carry (even though this rig truly is a shack in a box), and all things considered, it is a very good value for the money.

N4WGY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2015 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had and heavily operated my TS-2k for over two years. The more I operate it the more I highly respect the capabilities and well executed engineering of this incredibly agile transceiver. My specimen has been 100% reliable, the few hiccups I've experienced in using it were all operator error. The learning curve in becoming very competent and intimate with all of it's capabilities was rather steep and long, and very worth it. Would I prefer a Flex 6700?!? YES, but until that becomes a fiscal possibility for me the TS-2000 has been and continues to be just downright fun! If you get one, give yourself some time and patience to get used to all of the features and menus, there are a lot of them and it takes some practice. Cheat sheets for the menu items help a lot!
Particularly cool capabilities: Built in TNC (awesome for Winlink 2000 users), cross band repeat, built in tuner, RX only antenna port, superb Kenwood audio with mic equalization, huge display, the list goes on.

N8MJS Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Very happy.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been very satisfied with my TS-2000.
No complaints.
For most a $8000.00 radio (TS-990S) is not possible.
The cost of the TS-2000 is well worth the performance and features.

WO4V Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 140's, 440's, 820's, 930's, 940's and most recently an 870 for 12 years. The 2000 does many things very well.The receiver is not quite the same as the 870's receiver, but it is not THAT different. In fact, the 2000 was just as sensitive as the 870's receiver in A-B tests here at my station, and maybe just a tad more noise without any EQ turned on. With the internal receive EQ turned on, I could match the sound of the 870's receiver just about perfectly. Transmitted audio with no EQ either inboard or outboard is,according to reports from hams I have talked to for years, is indistinguishable from the 870. All in all, I like this rig so much that I purchased a TS B2000 from a friend, and sold him my 870. The "B" actually has a better receiver of the two on 15, 12, and 10 meters according to A-B test here at the home station, so I am happy with both of these rigs. The features (including the DSP, which is MUCH better than my old W9GR DSP-3 outboard unit) make this a truly all-purpose rig. Nice job, Kenwood! A good purchase and a nice addition to the shack in a long line of Kenwood rigs here.

I have had a few of the "brand Y" multi-band rigs here in the shack and as mobiles, and while pretty nice rigs, just did not satisfy, so they hit the hamfest tables over the years. Not even in the same league...

I know this is the most reviewed rig on Eham, but my experience has been positive enough to prompt my review.

73, Dave