Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 515 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

VE6ND Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Great satellite rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this a few days ago and wow, what an improvement over the earlier models.
I have the 2000X and it has performed as expected and even better on the satellites, AO-7 and FO-29 have never sounded better.
With my antennas I only run 5 watts to them and with the erp no issues.
Tracking the sat's is easy with this one:) and the 1.2 Ghz side is very stable, very nice radio

Glenn, VE6ND

N2MDV Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2017 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Rediscovered the pleasure of working AM mode again!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great shack in a box. I get excellent reports on audio quality in all voice modes, even on AM. Microphone depending. Yes, I again enjoy AM QSO's on 50.400MHz, 29.000MHz, 7295KHz, and even 3885KHz. Best sound SSB rig that I have. I never thought that SSB could sound so natural. This rig was opened up to work 60M, but be aware that the built-in antenna tuner will not work there. Not a problem if you have an external tuner. built-in tuner works every where else on HF and 6M. As a bonus, the VHF / UHF sub-bands RX AM aircraft band, the 222MHz FM band and even the 900MHz band. Great NB on this rig that really is effective. That Beat Cancel button (Part of its DSP.), is great for eliminating HET's on people tuning up on your QSO's. RX audio quality can really be appreciated with good headphones like the AKG K240. A good stereo speaker works well with this rig too, like Radio Shack Nova 15's. Yes, RX sensitivity is not the greatest, but that can be improved upon. All mode 2M and 432 are nice to have again. Having the "X" model now gives me the 1.2GHz band. This rig is a keeper with me.

W9BB Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2017 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio for Good Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first time with this radio. Only nit I can provide is the nomenclatures and icons are a bit small for me to adequately see. You have to be close to the front panel to see the buttons/controls. Also, the ergonomics are a bit off IMHO. Too crowded, strewn around the front panel. However, once you get use to using the radio, most of the commonly used functions will be easily known for their locations.

W1JMB Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2016 10:03 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know why some people want to post a bad review more than once on a transceiver like the Kenwood TS 2000, (maybe just to lower the rating numbers on it?) But I think this rig does just fine for what it was made for. I've owned mine for about 5 years and it's worked good for me on hf as well as vhf/uhf, and it will stay in my shack for years to come, as well as my Yaesu FT 2000. Happy New Year, & 73

WD5ENH Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2016 04:14 Send this review to a friend
enjoyable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this radio since August of this year and finding out that I really do enjoy this radio. I have been looking at this radio for a long time. Over three years ago I had the opportunity to buy this radio, I got on this website and started to read the reviews and a lot of the reviews said that the radio does not receive very well. Then I start looking at the Kenwood TS-590s and I went ahead and bought the radio. but I started getting interested in satellite work. So I traded in the Kenwood TS-590s and went ahead and got the Kenwood TS-2000 because of the price range that I could afford. And as far as I'm concerned the radio receives very well. I still have my Kenwood TS-450s that I bought in 1994 and is still working great. Now mind you I do not have sophisticated test equipment other than the two radios on the same antenna, if I am on the 450 and have a 59 signal switch to the 2000 and might have a 55 signal but then I hit the preamp and low and behold I have a 59 signal on the 2000. As far as receiving is concern for me this radio hears very well. But also what I like about this radio is that it has VHF and UHF all in one box. And if you have a space issue and you want to work from HF to all the way to UHF I believe this radio is very good. I just wish I would have bought one sooner.

N0FPE Rating: 3/5 Jun 11, 2016 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Just ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned both a 2000 and a 2000x. I found both models to be OK. not great and not bad just OK. the receivers were just not there. The radios worked well as all-in-one box but did not show any steller preformance on any band in any mode. I switched to a 756ProII and it was like night and day in the receiver preformance.
So if you are one who wants just average operations and has to have everything in one box the TS-2000 is for you. The design is getting pretty long in the tooth nowdays.

Dan

W2ZOU Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2016 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, Great Company  Time owned: more than 12 months
The deaf receiver is well documented. There was a series of units that were made with bad filters. These filters were used in many brand and model radios during that time period. They all have this problem regardless of the brand and model. This shack in the box radio does everything pretty well. Can you get a better HF radio-YES, Can you get a better VHF/UHF radio-YES. This radio is over 15 years old and as a reminder it was way ahead of its time when it came out. I suspect it has the most reviews of any radio on eham. I also suspect, it has one of the longest model run of any radio. This speaks volumes. People keep buying it for what it is, not for what its not. Heck, the 1.2 ghz capability on the TS-2000X still has not been matched by any other company regardless of the price. As for the MULTI/CH knob not working, there are videos out there how to replace the knob with a better one for something like $3. Bottom line, you can't please everyone.

KB1KVL Rating: 0/5 Jun 10, 2016 02:16 Send this review to a friend
P.O.S Radio Part 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to another review on the 2000. The 1st one had a broken Multi ch knob & bandwidth knob as well as almost no receive on HF and the same with 2m on the main side. A dear friend is now an SK and his spouse gave me his TS-2000. It was barely used. I received it in excellent condition. I used it for about 3 months and now the HF receive is very bad. This is with the preamp on. It's not quite as dead as my other radio but sensitivity is poor. I wouldn't recommend the TS-2000 to my worst enemy. It's a POS. For the money it should have been built better than this. It's obvious that the receive has a built-in problem. Other friends told me the multi ch knob is a problem, on them, too. The thing I should have taken into account when I bought the radio was that you ALWAYS need the preamp on. If you need the preamp on all the time, it's a POS radio. If I could give a lower rating than 0 I would.

AA0MZ Rating: 0/5 Jun 4, 2016 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Bad Receive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig at Dayton 2004. Previously had a Kenwood TS-140 and loved it so stuck with the Kenwood product line. Very disappointed in this rig. Has a transient audio receive problem. Audio totally disappears ! Sent rig to Kenwood East for authorized repairs and after spending $$$ still have the same problem. You can see the issue on this short video I made. One showing it working properly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqG1vQhaDg and the other showing it with the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQ039aGo9k. I think the guy in this next video is on to the problem. I wish I could send my rig to him ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjSme0C5B8 I won't be buying another Kenwood and would not recommend a Kenwood to anyone. Very disappointed. Buy at your own risk.

GW4PJQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 03:16 Send this review to a friend
What more can one expect.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Because I have seen so many people bitch on about how poor this radio is. I decided to do in-depth testing on this radio to try to get to the bottom of why it is so disliked.

1 I checked Sensitivity
2 I checked Blocking
3 I checked various combination terms (BBC speak)
4 I checked IF shape factor
5 I checked noise floor
6 I checked audio performance (excellent on AM btw)
7 I checked RF output on all modes
8 I checked RF spectrum for purity. It was pure.

Well I checked everything and it came through the tests with flying colours. So just what the hell is so bad? It turns out the S meter appears to be a bit mean. I say appears because although it agrees with the 50uv = S9 rule the "deflection" for S9 is only half scale, the rest is given over for signal levels one is unlikely to ever see.

I have owned my TS2000X for about five years and in that time it has given me excellent service.

Would I recommend the TS2000 ? Without question, but avoid the very early ones. 2003 onwards and you will be fine.