Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-2000 Reviews: 508 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: Kenwood HF radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5016&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-2000.

KB1KVL Rating: 0/5 Jun 10, 2016 02:16 Send this review to a friend
P.O.S Radio Part 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to another review on the 2000. The 1st one had a broken Multi ch knob & bandwidth knob as well as almost no receive on HF and the same with 2m on the main side. A dear friend is now an SK and his spouse gave me his TS-2000. It was barely used. I received it in excellent condition. I used it for about 3 months and now the HF receive is very bad. This is with the preamp on. It's not quite as dead as my other radio but sensitivity is poor. I wouldn't recommend the TS-2000 to my worst enemy. It's a POS. For the money it should have been built better than this. It's obvious that the receive has a built-in problem. Other friends told me the multi ch knob is a problem, on them, too. The thing I should have taken into account when I bought the radio was that you ALWAYS need the preamp on. If you need the preamp on all the time, it's a POS radio. If I could give a lower rating than 0 I would.

AA0MZ Rating: 0/5 Jun 4, 2016 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Bad Receive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig at Dayton 2004. Previously had a Kenwood TS-140 and loved it so stuck with the Kenwood product line. Very disappointed in this rig. Has a transient audio receive problem. Audio totally disappears ! Sent rig to Kenwood East for authorized repairs and after spending $$$ still have the same problem. You can see the issue on this short video I made. One showing it working properly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqG1vQhaDg and the other showing it with the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQ039aGo9k. I think the guy in this next video is on to the problem. I wish I could send my rig to him ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjSme0C5B8 I won't be buying another Kenwood and would not recommend a Kenwood to anyone. Very disappointed. Buy at your own risk.

GW4PJQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 03:16 Send this review to a friend
What more can one expect.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Because I have seen so many people bitch on about how poor this radio is. I decided to do in-depth testing on this radio to try to get to the bottom of why it is so disliked.

1 I checked Sensitivity
2 I checked Blocking
3 I checked various combination terms (BBC speak)
4 I checked IF shape factor
5 I checked noise floor
6 I checked audio performance (excellent on AM btw)
7 I checked RF output on all modes
8 I checked RF spectrum for purity. It was pure.

Well I checked everything and it came through the tests with flying colours. So just what the hell is so bad? It turns out the S meter appears to be a bit mean. I say appears because although it agrees with the 50uv = S9 rule the "deflection" for S9 is only half scale, the rest is given over for signal levels one is unlikely to ever see.

I have owned my TS2000X for about five years and in that time it has given me excellent service.

Would I recommend the TS2000 ? Without question, but avoid the very early ones. 2003 onwards and you will be fine.

N0FPE Rating: 3/5 Mar 17, 2016 17:49 Send this review to a friend
just ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a 2000 and a 2000X. Both worked ok. then I got a ProII and found out just how poor the 2000 receiver was!! It is ok as a do all in one box radio but as a dig them out of the noise it just does not cut it...would i get another 2000..maybe if it was cheap enough as a backup rig...but never as my primary radio.

WC0L Rating: 3/5 Mar 17, 2016 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Just Adequate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm glad the previous reviewer's TS-2000 is great for him. I had mine from 2000 to 2014 and a number of years ago, I rated mine as a "5". However, in 2008, the main circuit board developed a problem that was very difficult to troubleshoot. I let the technician talk me into replacing the board. Being built in 2008, the replacement board had the well known Kiwa filter issue, which had to be fixed on my dime about a year later. Setting that aside, in comparing the TS-2000 receiver to the receiver in the TS-480, there is no comparison. The 480 is head and shoulders better. And the TS-590S or SG blows it out of the water. Would I buy another TS-2000? Not likely unless it was really, really cheap.

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2016 02:19 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
After trying several transceivers, I always come back to the TS-2000. This is the best device in the world. Ease of use, simple menus, does not heat, it's the best value for money. I have a "normal" and the "LE". I am happy as the first day.Top quality, reasonable price. What else? Solid, never fails, highly reliable

AC9DN Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2015 17:03 Send this review to a friend
skipping control problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm only writing to point out that some Kenwood models eventually develop a problem with the knobs causing skipping and erratic control. 99% of these can be fixed by doing a hard, full power-on reset of the radio. Please do this before you do the modifications such as adding capacitors across the leads of the potentiometers or sending back to a repair shop!!! Yes, you will have to re-enter your memory settings but that is much easier than boxing up the radio or tearing it apart.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2015 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Mine is staying right here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my TS-2000 for more than a dozen years now. I've owned quite a few radios during that time, and the TS-2000 has stayed in the shack while others come and go.

I give the radio a 5 based on its flexibility and utility.

For FM work, the TS-2000 main receiver was as sensitive as numerous ICOM and Yaeusu FM mobiles that have passed through my shack over the years. I would go so far as to say that in my opinion it was better. I've always felt the TS-2000's secondary receiver was not as good as the main receiver, but certainly equal to those other radios that came through here.

On the weak signal modes for V/U I have little to compare my TS-2000 to other than an old TS-600 single band 6-meter rig, which I believe is slightly more sensitive than the TS-2000, but also much easier to overload from strong adjacent signals when the band gets busy.

Keep in mind that you MUST have the pre-amp on when working V/U bands in any mode. The radio was designed to have the pre-amp ON at 20 meters and higher. Turn it off and the radio is deaf on V/U bands.

Let me say a word about the TS-2000 on HF. Yes, the receiver gets crunched on busy contest weekends. Most receivers except for the contest grade transceivers do. The worst was on 160 meter contests and I worked several of them with my TS-2000. I eventually added the INRAD replacement filter which greatly tamed the receiver, especially on 160 meters. Still not the equal of today's highest priced transceivers, but certainly a workable radio you can have a lot of fun with.

Last fall I added a new TS-590 to the desk and coming from the TS-2000 it is familiar and a joy to use. Yes the receiver holds up better. But as I sit here writing this, I'm listening to the Mid-States Weather Net on 3.940 and there is another station at 3.938 at S9 on both receivers. With the DSP filtering adjusted the same on both transceivers, I switch between both radios and they sound exactly the same. The 590 definitely has the better receiver, but it shows up most on CW working a contest, not chewing the rag on 80 meters.

In my opinion, where the TS-2000 really shines is its flexibility. Want to work your buddies on the repeaters? Work SSB and CW? Run packet or APRS? Crossband a distant repeater to your HT while doing yard work? Work HF or 6 meters from the deck on your HT with Skycommand? I've done them all with my TS-2000 and more. It is the most flexible tool I have in my shack.

So is there still a place for the TS-2000? Definitely ! Today mine is used mostly for V/U FM, although it can easily slide down to 20 meter psk-31 for a qso. Many on the Kenwood groups keep speculating about a TS-2000 replacement, but I suspect they are still selling plenty of them as is.

N5IFI Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy in Ham Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio has been the best buy and remains the best buy in Amateur radio bar none.
I call it a Ham Radio Station in a box and that's what it is. It's not better than my Flex. It's not better than a TS 990. They may not be the best 2 meter rig or the best 70cm rig on the market but they do so much so good that they are hard to beat and even then they are not as bad has many people would have you think they are even up against radios costing thousands of dollars more. They are plenty good for the average users who don't have a fortune to spend or a lot of room to operate there ham radio station. I don't have one at the main operating position but I wouldn't be without one either. They are that versatile.

CX5AL Rating: 0/5 May 20, 2015 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Very very awful !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
El equipo fue comprado en Aesham Orlando en Junio del 2014, a los dos meses falló mostrando en la pantalla solo puntos; le le exigió a Aesham la garantía y se pudo enviar en Octubre del 2014, se envió con la caja original y todos los accesorios que venían con el equipo, manuales, cables, etc. como nuevo.

Ellos lo enviaron al servicio Oficial Kenwood en Virginia Beach, lo devolvieron en Abril del 2015, el costo del envío y devolución me costó 325 dólares.

Cuando recibí el equipo solamente enviaron el transceptor, Kenwood se apropió de caja, micrófono, manuales y todos los accesorios y no quiere devolverlos. Se robaron las cosas !!!

El equipo sigue teniendo la misma falla !!!!, no fue reparado, luego de casi 11 meses sigue igual.

Reclamé a Aesham y a Kenwood, y Kenwood dice que los equipos vendidos a sudamérica NO tienen garantía, que si quiero lo envíe de nuevo a ellos cubriendo todos los costos.

En resumen, Kenwood me vendió un equipo fallado, lo tuvo 7 meses, me costó 325 dólares enviar y recibir, se apropiaron de todos los accesorios, y no lo repararon, y no lo quieren reparar porque estamos en sudamérica.

El Kenwood TS2000x es una basura, Aesham no responde por los equipos que vende, Kenwood no responde por sus errores.

Sugiero no comprar nunca más equipos Kenwood.