Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-610TQ Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-610TQ
Alinco DR-610TQ Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: VHF/UHF FM Twin Bander Mobile Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-610TQ.

F4FAP Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2017 04:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice and trusting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one for more than 6 years. It stays OFF during winter's months and back to life every summer : always healthy (stocked in a sealed box with dessicant).
In some ways, better than the Kenwood TMV7. Very easy to activate the transponder (no need to go to a tricky memorizing procedure). Also easy access to menus and sub-menus.
Goes up to 900 MHz (to listen what ?).
The mic connector is a real connector not a RJ.

What would be better :
- Push buttons are so small (I guess that a dedicated DTMF microphone is mandatory if using mobile).
- According to the output power used, it goes rapidly very hot (mine never gone to fire !). Fitted a tight mesh size instead of the plain top cover + added a fan on the top side with variable speed.
- Mounted fan really does the job in cooling the rig but stay alive all the time from the first keying (I added an ON/OFF switch).

Except these minor inconveniences which can be easily managed, I can listen/scan to ham V/U, marine, aviation and others, at low expense (180 euros).

PA1PDB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this radio brand new in 1997.
The second half of the Display Backlighting was failing. One LED needed a little solder.
Now I'm going to build this radio into the 5th Car.

Regards,

PA1PDB

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 11:21 Send this review to a friend
NR7J hit it on the head, "Simply the Best"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio about a month. I needed a feature that it didn't have so decided to buy the radio with that feature (a Kenwood) and was going to sell this radio. Well, over a month now and I still have it... and it's not going anywhere. This radio is full dual band receive, full duplex, will cross band, and does all of these things with a minimum of programming fuss. To set up a new repeater takes about 4 steps off the front panel and to save it to memory is a 3 button experience.. all off the front panel. It's really hard to not like this radio. I need the ID feature off the Kenwood (why doesn't someone build a module for this) for cross band operation but unless I'm cross banding this will be my main go to radio.....

NR7J Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one of the best radio ever made. I have an extra EJ-24U CTCSS decoder if anyone needs it.
NR7J at yahoo dot com

N9EGM Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2007 15:26 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these and love it, only thing is I don't have the short cable to mount the face place to the radio body. anyone have one they don't need? I also have the dr 599 and the dr 600.
Jim n9egm

KD5UDE Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2007 16:30 Send this review to a friend
excellent radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
very good dual band radio,built like a tank,easy to program,small,compact,light,very easy to see display. the best radio i have owned to date!!! alinco needs to bring back this good old radio,i would personaly give more money for this rig than any outher out there!!! if you find one out there for a reasonable price buy it you won't go wrong!!!

KI4FAU Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2006 09:17 Send this review to a friend
One of my Favorites!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Yaesu FT-7800 in my car--I travel and the 1000 memory positions with alpha tags are needed there to keep things simple while on the road. I love the 7800 for all that it offers and while I consider it very reasonably priced, I was looking for something a little more streamlined and lower cost for my basic 2M & 440 needs when operating at home.

I stumbled into an Alinco DR-610TQ for sale here on the eHam classifieds, checked out the existing reviews of the rig, and jumped at the opportunity to purchase one myself for a very reasonable price.

The DR610 was exactly what I was looking for. It offers me plenty of memory for my local repeaters, excellent sensitivity with even my *marginal* antenna at my apartment, true dual-band operation, and all at a very reasonable cost for a used rig with so many features.

I really have no true complaints about the rig itself, but the owners manual was a little fuzzy about how to turn crossband on-off (I did figure it out) and I find it quirky that once you key the mic, the cooling fan will stay on non-stop until the rig is shut down.

If you are looking for a solid dual-band rig that I feel was built well ahead of others at it's time, keep your eyes open for a clean used DR610. I have been very pleased with mine and plan to keep it long-term.

M3MZS Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2006 15:10 Send this review to a friend
It does what it says it will  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After some time looking round for a dual band - wanting something that would give me the same performance as mono band rigs, but with the convienience of being in one package - I chanced upon this, never used and still in the box.
One of the deciding factors in my decision to buy was the reports already posted on here about this rig, and I have not been disappointed.
OK - it doesn't have some of the features that are on newer designs, but what its got are things most people will use most of the time.
It is easy to use - no scrolling through endless menus - even though the controls are quite small they are easy to locate and use even in a vehicle at night.
Performance is excelent - I live very close to a powerful repeater and its rejection of signals from this on adjacent channels is very good. You might expect to pay a penalty for this in terms of sensitivity, but I can't complain about this either.
Only time will give a verdict on its reliability, but so far this seems like a real little gem of a radio - I will certainly keep it for as long as it keeps working, and as the build quality looks pretty good this hopefully will be a long time

N7OXL Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best Dual Band Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the BEST DUALBANDER ever made. Why did they replace it with the 620? If you can find a used one for around $250 get it.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2005 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Performance VS Features......  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Over the last year I've changed my attitude about ham radio equipment. I used to own a Yaesu FT-857D and a VX-2R handi. Both radios fell into the same catagory - they did what they were supposed to do but just barely. Some features were so poorly implemented that they constituted a joke.

I sold all my equipment (except my antennas) and started over with a new mind set. Now I go for pure performance instead of bells and whistles. I built an Elecraft K2, Bought a Yaesu FT-51R and an Alinco DR-610t.

You may think I'm nuts to compare a DR-610t to the vaunted K2 but IMHO it's a good match. The Alinco dosen't have WFM recieve so I can't listen to music or TV on it (same for the FT-51r) and once you go out of the ham bands, esp. on UHF, the sensitivity falls off quickly. Would this be a good scanning radio? Only in the ham bands. Want to scan 460 mhz? Buy a scanner. Then watch as your ultra wide scanner screams from pager intermod while the DR-610t hears only what it was meant to hear. Quiet competence and performance.

I used to own a TS-2000X and it was the same - it did everything but didn't really shine on anything. Same for the FT-857D. The DR-610t dosen't do everything you'd want (like alphanumeric tags) but what it does do it does flawlessly. I live between Boeing and a hospital and even on a GP-6 @ 40' on a hill top, I have NEVER heard even one peep of intermod. THAT is performance, folks....

Now - on to specifics for this radio. The fan does run full time but is very quiet. The radio does get warm, and I was concerned about it until I read about the radio's thermal protection. If the rig gets too hot, it will reduce power to protect itself. MY FT-51r HT does this too.

Like many rig from this era, it has a corny DTMF paging system. One nice aspect is that the paging format matches my Yaesu HT.

Overall, this is a radio that puts performance in the limelight but still has features to boot. If you want a cross banding remote base, this is it. I can enable/disable commands, pick any VFO or memory channel, then turn on cross band repeat & more, all remotely from my HT. Packet at 9600 baud and 1200 baud is supported. I hooked up my computer's sound card via 1:1 transformers to the 3/32 and 1/8 connectors on the back of the radio. Ptt is handled by a transistor com port switch feeding the 3rd port in the back of the radio.

All I have to do is touch 2 buttons and I'm doing VHF SSTV and packet in a second.

I have the owners manual and service manual in .pdf format if anyone wants them. Email kg0wx at yahoo dot com and I'll email them to you.

73's de Ken KG0WX