Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-610TQ Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-610TQ
Alinco DR-610TQ Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: VHF/UHF FM Twin Bander Mobile Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-610TQ.

KD5OIM Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2002 11:56 Send this review to a friend
The best dual band out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
The summary sums it up for me. I don't think there is another radio that is available today that even comes close to the 610. Alinco did an incredible job putting intermod resistance, ease of use, incredible memory bank setup, good solid audio, and countless other features into a true dual band radio.

I had originally wanted a radio that did cross band repeat, true vu/uu/vv listening, alpha memories, and direct freq entry via the dtmf mic. The Alinco satisfies all of these requirements and does an excellent job with them (except for the alpha memories). I wish that they would come out with an updated version of the 610 that would allow software programming (similar to Yeasu's ADMS stuff) and alpha memories.

The only rigs that are available right now with all of the features that I wanted are Yaesu rigs that are notorious for overheating, having bad intermod problems etc. I considered Yaesu but several salesmen that I spoke to from a nationally known retailer of ham equipment said that I would be crazy to purchase one. Kenwood makes some very nice radios that have the features that I was looking for, but they are SOOOOOO darned expensive. Alinco definitely wins out on value for the dollar.

The Alinco has very solid audio with no overheating problems. The cooling fan and heatsink on the back of the radio are very efficient in keeping the temp down. I have had no problems with the “dirty” dtmf tones that are mentioned in previous reviews. I have owned the radio for 1 year now and would say that it is the best available if you can get one. I was told that Alinco quit producing them early in 2002. Kind of a bummer as it is the most solid performer in it’s class right now.

I have used the cross band repeat extensively without any mishap. I have the TSQ board installed and wouldn’t X-band without it. The dtmf remote control is quite handy. I can use my HT to change frequencies via direct entry remote, change bands, change between VFO and memory modes, and change operational memory channel number. It is very convenient after you learn how to use it. Initially it is difficult to keep track of where the radio is at in your key sequences, but it can be done, and if done right, is very functional.

The radio is advertised in a couple of places on the web as having an over the air clone feature, I don’t know anything about how that works. Maybe it is in the European model.
I would purchase another in a split second if I needed another VU dual band.

If you might be interested in doing some 10m, 6m, or 23cm talking in addition to the 2m/70cm, I would highly recommend the Kenwood 742AD. It is a tri band mobile that not too many folks know about. It is very nice, if you can handle the price tag of 1000 with the optional third band unit installed.

KL3NP Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2001 15:50 Send this review to a friend
an update from my previous post  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously posted on my ownership of the DR-610TQ. One problem I was having, as well as two friends with the same rig, was the inconsistent and "dirty" DTMF.

On a tip from a former Alinco technician, I was able to access inside the microphone the only VR in there and make an adjustment to all the rigs in question and now have them sending crisp and distinct DTMF. The radio now functions perfectly.

On a side note, I still believe that 2 improvements would make this mobile the absolute best:
1. An alphaneumeric display
2. A thermostatically controlled cooling fan

Thats it. All in all, a fine performer

NB3O Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2001 11:07 Send this review to a friend
On the Bench  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DR-610TQ meets all of the specifications as stated in their literature. This rig is one of the best choices for a general purpose dual band rig despite the 5 year old design. Alinco should consider a new edition with similar performance but with new features to include:
A separate packet radio connector.
Standard RJ-11 connections for the remote kit.
A bulkhead mounted antenna connector instead of the pigtail.
A larger heatsink made from a portion of the top or bottom cover.
Optional digital coded squelch system (DCS, not DSQ).

KC0M Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2001 08:44 Send this review to a friend
an ok rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like the 2 vfo's; I like the direct freq entry from mic along with the uhf/vhf uhf/uhf vhf/vhf features. What I don't like is when you use the reverse key it is for monitoring only will not xmitt along with the DR-610-tq not using auto shift for repeater freqs. All in all it is an OK rig just a few short comings.

73 KC0M

K5TMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2001 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started with a used Kenwood TM241 in my car a year ago and have been looking for the dream dual-bander since. This radio is it and I enjoy every feature I've tried so far.
The buttons and (most) knobs are small, but they are easier to use than "combinations" that make one large knob do everything.
The IM rejection is very good in the suburbs, but I probably add the PAR filter soon for the "hot spots" in the city.
The ability to "control" it by remote is the PLUS for this radio.

KL3NP Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2001 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Great full-featured dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the 610 for a year and a half. It is a great rig. I like it's ability to do V/V, V/U, U/U or any combo thereof. The memory banks are nice: I can put ham bands in one, Commercial in another, Emergency in still another. It monitors the AM aircraft band as well. Plus, you can transfer banks of memories from one side to the other, quickly with just a button push. The cross-band feature works well. I have mine set up at home as a base station. A couple of misses: One, the finals cooling fan turns on as soon as the PTT key is hit; regardless of power level OR temperature. It comes on at the first hit and stays on. It is not thermostatically controlled, which I don' t like. In my home I can hear the fan running; which makes no sense o me: Its on even when receiving. I find myself constantly cycling the power switch to kill the fan. My rig, as well as two others friends own, all send inconsistent and somewhat distorted DTMF. Hitting the phone patch is iffy, sometimes can, sometimes not. It appears to be a glitch in the rig. Other Alinco models I own do not have this problem.
I would recommend this radio as it is. For the price, it is fully-featured.