Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Nano-node Help

Reviews Summary for Nano-node
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $495.00 base unit
Description: First complete ECHO/IRLP node computer in an ultra small package
measuring just 5" W x 3" L x 1.7" H. The unit comes complete with the
ECHO/IRLP Debian Operating system pre-installed node number assigned.
(new or existing). " Just Plug and Plug". No Knowlege of Linux Required.

You can write your own review of the Nano-node.

ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2018 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Simple to setup and use ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been an IRLP Node Operator since late 2003 - Node 6931. I have re-built the node several times due to hardware failures (mainly hard drives, power supplies or simply just a knackered PC). While it has not really been too much of a chore it does get to the point when you simply want to have a device with no moving parts, less power consumption and the like. While I did move to a Raspberry Pi node, internet issues, router issue and generally too busy to send the time to rebuild the node, 6931 went off the air for a year. I passed the Pi Node to a friend who has since got up and going, new node number 6713.

So I found a Nano-node for sale on a local auction site here in ZL, for about two thirds of the new price, plus I could have it in days not weeks from the USA.

I had the node up and running from the previous owner in less than 15 minutes!

I also setup EchoLink and had it all running on the internal 70 cm radio locally.

I read the online PDF manual once, then just referred to the odd section as required during the initial setup, or when to make the odd change.

It has operated well over a week without any issues,-reboots or anything else.

So I realise that this is not a cheap item at USD$495.00 plus postage but if you want a quick turn key solution without having to learn any Linux then this is the product. I bet it will last for years without any of the issues described above.

I have since ordered from the WiFi, some cables etc, as I want to put the Node 5996 up on the local 6 m Repeater. I had easy and good communications with Mark Guibord as well.

So if you are looking at getting into this device don't hold back and buy one. I have not experienced any inference issues on HF as other reviewers have commented on.

SM2UQK Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2017 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Creates huge RFI on HF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The node works just fine, no problems. The range on the built in 70cm radio is rather good with external antenna, and the internal radio sounds ok.

But, there is one huge problem with it. It creates huge amount of RFI on HF. I moved mine out of the shack, and it's placed in the other side of the house but still create huge RFI on at least 20 meters. So I have to turn the Nano-node off to be able to work 20 meter.

The RFI is massive (S9+20) in 68 hz spaced peaks, and a lower RFI all over the band. The 68Hz paced peaks move on the band (but still covers all of the band) when the node is switching to TX.

I emailed Micro Node International about this problem but thy did not even send a reply :( Sad...

So if you are HF operator and want to have the node running while on HF this is NOT the node for you. Otherwise it's a ok but rather expensive product.
N6ESG Rating: 2/5 Sep 22, 2016 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Not for dummies  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first nano-node came with a defective printed circuit board. This was fixed but I found my Verizon Jetpack would not work with the nano-node. I obtained the larger Jetpack MiFi but could not get it to work. I may have the wrong numbers for Net Mash, Gateway IPA, and DNS IPA and do not know where to obtain the numbers. I did get the nano-node to work with my iPhone but only after 3 or 4 0n/off/on cycles. It was necessary to try 3 or 4 times before it would work. Using the iPhone is not a good idea as the battery drains rapidly and the iPhone heats up. I am going to keep trying and hoping to find a Elmer who can help. Have found some web sites that help some. For dummies this is not a plug and play devise. You better be very knowledgeable or have a good Elmer
K0AAJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2015 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Small device - big functionality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many unsuccessful attempts to link-up with an IRLP node local to my area, I decided to install my own IRLP node and enjoy ECHO/IRLP whenever I wanted to link-up. I have enjoyed Echolink for a while, but wanted to access IRLP nodes as well. Not being unfamiliar with Linux, I thought of resources necessary to implement a IRLP card from and there are many options... some cheaper, some more expensive. I even went so far as to purchase a raspberry Pi and came close to ordering the IRLP card, cables, and software, but then I took a closer look at the Micro-node's Nano-node. The plug and play feature attracted me to Nano. Then there's the portability with the optional 2 port wifi. While my intent was to run a simplex link for local access using a 2m radio attached locally, I find the internal 0.2 watt radio in the Nano to be very handy around the house using a HT.

If you are wanting to install your own Echolink/IRLP node, do yourself a favor and consider the Nano-node. Mark Guibord at Micro-node will make sure you are completely happy with the Nano. I know I am!