Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | LNR LD-5 QRP Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for LNR LD-5 QRP Transceiver
LNR LD-5 QRP Transceiver Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$575
Description: One of the hottest new QRP Transceivers on the market. This powerful unit
packs in a ton of features at an incredible value. This rig has a sleek design
with a simple interface that you will want with you at all times. Just wait til
you hear the amazing receive!
More info: http://www.lnrprecision.com/store/#!/LD-5/p/39885476/category=10468544

You can write your own review of the LNR LD-5 QRP Transceiver.

KG0MN Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2017 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine the year they came out at Dayton and once it arrived I was very excited to use it to find out if it worked as well as it did in Dayton. Since I live in Minnesota fly over land can be a struggle to work Europe or Asia when the band conditions are not optimal. I have WAS as well over 120 countries on this radio and using a maximum of 5 watts output. I may finally sell this little gem so I can buy their full coverage unit the LD-11.

WA9DGM Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2016 09:59 Send this review to a friend
issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
radio is 1 yr old. very little use abt 2 hrs on rx. tried using on ssb. mic kept cutting out. looks like mic jack is problem. have sent 2 e-mails this week with no replys! no phone number on web site.

N0TVE Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2015 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these about a month ago and so far it has preformed well. I did have some questions about its operation and the crew at LNR was quick to help me and one of them even walked me through the set up via cellphone from his home after hours.

I have only used the radio with SSB phone so far so anything that I say will apply only to that mode.

The rx is great. I was concerned about the audio from the tiny speaker but it it very loud if needed. The four built in filters are effective though I do wish it had RF gain. It is very sensitive and at the same time in has a very quiet noise level. An aaux. speaker does give a somewhat better tonal quality if that matters but really not necessary.

The signal reports that I get back on signal quality have all been good and of course propagation dependant esp. with the antenna setup I have chosen to to use to test the radio.

I am using a LNR Trail Friendly EF antenna about 15' off the ground at the tall end. It makes a good match for the LD5 and just this morning i made casual QSOs fron TN to A SOTA opp. in CO and an IOTA op in Aruba and points in between. runnig about 8 watts SSB phone.

It seems well made but time will tell how it holds up as it goes in and out of backpacks.

The menus for phone are extremely simple to set and use.

I am looking forward to trying the radio on digital modes.

Things I would like to see added to the radio are an RF gain, 80 meter tx and an internal tuner. I knew these weren't in the radio when I bought it so I don't think they are a problem they are just what I would think good additions. I will say, with the Trail Friendly antenna on 20 and 40 meters I don't need a tuner as the SWR across the bands runs 1.2 to 1.8:1 which works fine.
I prefer the LD5 to my FT 817 for rx performance, ease of use, easy to see display and somewhat higher tx power output.

It seems to be a fun little radio that works well.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being impressed by the FX-4a I wanted to add digital capability. So, I upgraded to the LD-5. It is an amazing radio,
rock solid and a pleasure to use. The audio is as good if not better than the FX-4a. I receive very good modulation reports.
The menus are easier to use than on the FX-4a and by far easier than on my KX-3.
I have it now since over a month and it has been the only radio I use since I tried it. It is definitively a keeper.