Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Comet CAA-500 Mark II Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CAA-500 Mark II
Comet CAA-500 Mark II Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449.00
Description: The Comet CAA-500 Mark II antenna analyzer is a professional class instrument for measuring SWR, resonance and impedance. It features a highly sensitive, high precision Yokogawa meter for measurement accuracy in seven ranges covering 1.8 to 500 MHz. Impedance is 12.5 to 300 Ohms. VSWR 1:1 to infinity. Digital readout accurate to 1 kHz.

You can write your own review of the Comet CAA-500 Mark II.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2016 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been playing with my new CAA-500 MKII. I can't add anything that the other reviewers haven't already mentioned.
I've had a MFJ 259B for years and it's performed well. I wanted newer technology and something that covered 432 mHZ.

Just to point out:
- The build quality IS excellent.
- Yes, it's expensive. For this aspect, I recommend you purchase the Nanuk hard case. I bought this 'combo' from DX Engineering. The case is almost bulletproof. Worth every penny. All kinds of cool colors.

One last comment.... before the unit arrived, I printed the manual from the web. I was surprised that the manual that came with the unit was FULL of typos. The downloaded manual is fine.

have fun
ron
N4UE

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2016 15:15 Send this review to a friend
k6ajy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
it works great it is the best

KE4IFE Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2016 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't think you can beat the CAA 500 II for price/features/frequency range. As soon as it arrived (I pre-ordered it from DX Engineering) I checked all my antennas. I managed to find an intermittent issue on my favorite HT! If you work HF, VHF & UHF the CAA 500 II is a good investment.

KA3OUC Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2016 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Analyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works very well. I use this when I do radio installs for my job (on railroad vehicles). I also use this for my ham antennas as well. You can't go wrong with this one.

KF5WRL Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2015 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a MFJ 259-C for a while and have thought is was a very good analyzer, it was also my very first. I have started getting into the UHF side of the house and realized the 259-C could not do this. I kept hearing that the CAA Mark 2 was on fire with how good it was, so I took the plunge and bought one. Fit and finish wise, the Mark 2 is way above the 259-C. The LCD screen and sensitivity is a huge plus. The Mark 2 LCD and actual needles are in sync with each other unlike the 259-C, the LCD would say for example 1.5 SWR but the red needle would read 1.9 SWR. To me, whatever readouts are given, should match each other where required. Overall, I find this analyzer, while costly, is much better in every category compared to the 259-C.

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2015 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Comet CAA-500 Mark II is an essential if your are working on antenna systems. The graphing feature is a real plus. The nice thing about it is that it works up to 500 Mhz. If you could have one piece of test gear for antenna work this is a must purchase!

WA4YJB Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2015 03:49 Send this review to a friend
great addition to shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got mine last night.
Easy to use. Didn't need to read manual.
Screen is easy to see. The sweep function is awesome. It will show you where the antenna resonates. I like to build wire dipoles so this should make trimming them a piece of cake.
Found one of my antenna had high SWR. Since this unit is battery powered I plan to take outside today to investigate why I have high SWR. i previously had the MFJ 269 which i was happy with but i like this analyzer much more.
Construction is excellent. Meters are easy to see. Graphing screen is small but does the job.
Only issue is the battery cover screws extrude slightly causing the meter not to lay flat. I will going to put some rubber feet on unit and then it will be good.
Not cheep, but great insurance I m not transmitting into a bad antenna.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2015 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got mine after a 4 month wait...And it was worth the wait..Now I have an orginal CAA-500 and a MkII. Guess I should get rid of the older one even tho its like new and has been used a total of 2 times...BUT the MKII is great!!!

K1ZH Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2015 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Nice meter for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received it after a 3 month wait. I paid $369 from GigaParts. Form and fit are excellent. The adjustment knobs are nice - I believe they are aluminum. The screen is small, for sure, but it is bright and easy to read depending on your eyesight. Measurements seem accurate. I don't have another meter to compare, but I tested against a dummy load plus various antennas that are factory tuned - everything seemed reasonable and measurements were repeatable. The analog meters measured identical with the digital meter.

When performing an auto-sweep, it couldn't get much easier. Attach the antenna to the proper antenna port on the meter, select the correct band, then press the 'Sweep' button. The meter will automatically sweep the entire band. I would prefer a faster sweep (it takes ~10 seconds), but I have no idea how this compares to the more expensive RigExpert AA-600 meters.

There is also a manual sweep mode where you can choose the center frequency and the bandwidth before sweeping the frequency range. In this mode, multiple sweeps will be stored on the screen in different colors. This is very useful when making adjustments to tune an antenna.

A feature that I miss on this meter is the ability to store/recall plots from a removable flash device. Without this feature I must leave the device turned on for as long as I want to keep the sweep history. I guess one could take a picture for long term memory, but that is a hack.

N9YK Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2015 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this after waiting 5 months. Tried it on several antennas, works great. Meter and display are very nice. Graph is easy to see. Seems to be made very well. Made in Japan. Would recommend the case as it is heavy and could easily be dropped.