Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT MD380 Help

Reviews Summary for TYT MD380
TYT MD380 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $175
Description: DMR/MotoTrbo Digital Handheld

You can write your own review of the TYT MD380.

WB9RAA Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2017 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Great for $85   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow works super great. Only two minor observances; 1) Belt clip is on battery not radio, so buying an extra battery get you to buy another $3 belt clip! 2) When radio is on once the screen saver times out there is no sign of life, unless the audio great thru the squelch. A ficker of the led once every few seconds would be nice. People do nice firmware hack, so maybe some one will add this. The DMR modes can hit repeaters much further than normal voice. I can easily hit repeaters 16 miles away with the longer rubber duck ant, with 4 watts. Programming software is a bit clunky. I decided to write my own app to edit the .RDT file !

WA3SEE Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2017 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Neat little hand held  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The TYT MD-380 is an excellent introductory hand held for those interested in trying DMR. It can also be programmed for 'analog' FM repeater or simplex frequencies.
The MD-380 is available as either a VHF or UHF unit. I purchased my unit from an on line "store" after seeing VE5EIS' excellent review in Nov. 2017 QST.
CAUTION - Buyer Beware. Oddly, many Web based vendors are not real radio stores but design their web site to look like a real two-way radio dealer.
Avoid buying from odd radio stores.

My unit came from a warehouse in Indiana, neatly packaged, with a 2000mAh Li-ion battery, battery charger, two antennas, belt clip and programming cable.
After spending frustrating hours trying unsuccessfully to program the radio I found they had sent the WRONG cable. I found a REAL two-way radio store, on the Web, and obtained the correct cable. After that, programming the radio was just a matter of entering channel data for local repeaters and simplex frequencies into a file.

The radio functions fine and I receive excellent audio reports. The TYT MD-380 is an excellent value.

W9JTC Rating: 1/5 Oct 11, 2017 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Changing my review to poor. Had this HT for 2 months. Screen went blank with just white background. Nothing brings it back. Sent the radio back to the place where I bought it and they will send me a replacement. Thinking about once I get the replacement just selling it and getting something else. 2 months of extreme light use and failure is just awful. Seeing a lot of these in reviews with same issues. Hope TYT fixes these. Not feeling all that warm and fuzzy about it right now.

W1GHR Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2017 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Not hitting the repeater   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Its a good soild radio. I have been trying to get out to the local repeater which, is only 4 miles away from my house. I am using the following program 1.32.0 which, I have been told its better than the 1.30.0.I live in Silver Spring, Maryland and, the repeater is from the Ashton Radio Club in, Ashton Maryland. I am usually getting a Red light when I key up and have only gotten Green and have connected my call lettrs without any responses.I thought that living so close to the repeater, I would not have any problems with hitting it more often than I am. I am woundering if, they make a base antennas for TYT-MD-380, or do they make a magnetic mobile antenna. I am willing to try anything so that, I can enjoy as they say, MY NEW TOY?

N8RAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2017 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Value Ė Good Quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
While Iím normally not impressed with many of the products coming out of China, especially amateur radio gear, I have to admit Iím impressed with this little gem. Iíve had the rig about a year and am just amazed with its digital and even analog performance and capabilities.

The DMR transmit audio is very clear with good frequency response. Surprisingly it has a bit better transmit audio reproduction than my Motorola XPR-4550 with more pronounced highs.

Receive audio is loud and clear with minimal distortion even as you approach higher volume levels. While not quite as loud as my Motorola XPR-6550, it does a decent job in filling the room with adequate volume.

On the analog side, the transmit audio response is good and shows deviation levels approaching 4.5 KHz on my H/P service monitor, unlike many other Chinese rigs Iíve tested which barely crack 3 KHz with anemic sounding audio using the wideband settings.

Analog receive seems to do a respectable job in the high RF environments in which I work as a broadcast engineer. While not of the quality of Motorola portables I often use, it appears to be on par with other Amateur gear in handling strong nearby signals. Other Chinese radios I have used in the same locations have failed miserably.

The MD-380 UHF radio is packaged with 2 antennas. While I have used the smaller one in fairly short hops to the local repeater, I suggest using the longer one as it performs noticeably better.

Battery life is quite impressive. A group of us used the MD-380s fairly heavily at Dayton this year in simplex mode and were able to operate all day without swapping battery packs. Mine showed about half-life at the end of the day.

About the only issue I have with the rig is when operating in scan mode. The MD-380 seems to have occasional difficulty in stopping on active talk groups, even when in very strong areas of repeaters.

The supplied programming software is fairly straight forward but does appear to have some occasional bugs. My experience is the factory software seems to occasionally lock up and sometimes require a restart. However it appears to be much more stable under XP as opposed to Win-7 or 10, even when running under XP emulation. I would expect TYT to continue making improvements in this area. There are other sources of software that are showing up and I have been trying various versions that have recently become available with very good results.

Considering the MD-380 is available for under $80, it is truly an amazing value. It is certainly a very cost effective way to explore the digital world, especially when compared to other digital voice modes.

I rate the MD-380 a 5.0 though I think it probably deserves a 4.5. However since that rating is not available here, I will give it the benefit of the doubt in hopes that TYT will perhaps address the minor quirks that I have experienced.

WB8ROL Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MD-380 since November of 2015. I purchased it at the Ft. Wayne, IN hamfest from a reputable ham radio dealer.

I have had ZERO problems with it. It did take me a while to understand how DMR works and how to program the rig properly. However, that is not a reflection on the radio. It's a reflection on me.

I have used it daily on the local UHF repeater which has great coverage. I mostly operate on local talk group but it works well on all talk groups supported by the local 5 repeaters.

Anyone who thinks it is junk must have bought a bad radio or doesn't know how to use it and the software. We have 30-50 local users and most of the users have a TYT MD-380 and the only problem they have had is grasping how DMR and the radio works.

I highly recommend this radio. And buy it from a reputable ham radio business!

W5GIF Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK, this is my second review.
Long story short, after having my friend do the "hack" and use Travis Goodspeed programming yes this VHF radio does hear MOTOTRBO which as what I wanted in the first place.
AND the UHF model works absolutely great on DMR.
So all is good now.
W5GIF

VE6BGM Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2017 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike the previous review, I did not buy from eBay. I have had this radio for over 2 years, have kept it updated, used code plugs from the internet and used programming software with absolutely no problem. I do not know where the previous reviewer got his programming software from but it sounds like this is more of a problem than the radio. One thing I don't like is the beep has no volume control. But other than that, I have no other negative comments.

KD0MVB Rating: 0/5 Apr 18, 2017 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Bought one these on ebay  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very bad experience, bought 1 on Ebay, total garbage including the software and programming cable.

The software filled my computer with viruses, had to pay $500 to computer shop to get them removed.

Programming cable would not work either, all radio did was flash red and green light, no display, no sound. So I returned it for a full refund.

Opted for the Connect Systems CS-580 instead, which offers tier 1 & 2, glad I found it. I wouldn't recommend the TYT to anyone is is a cheap piece of junk. The Connect Systems offers repeater scanning works right out of the box for a few dollars more than the TYT and more features.

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2017 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level choice!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this on sale at Dayton in 2016. It was my entry into DMR, of which I knew little to nothing. After waiting for my ID to appear in the database and a day of reading the manual and checking out a few Youtube videos, I had the radio programmed and working just fine. It has good audio in and out, very good battery life, if you program your receive groups properly, and is built very solid. Other than the typical Chinese to English user manual, I can't think of anything I would want different on this radio. Except a USB computer interface, but at less than a $100, that isn't a deal breaker.