Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT MD380 Help

Reviews Summary for TYT MD380
TYT MD380 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $175
Description: DMR/MotoTrbo Digital Handheld

You can write your own review of the TYT MD380.

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2017 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level choice!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this on sale at Dayton in 2016. It was my entry into DMR, of which I knew little to nothing. After waiting for my ID to appear in the database and a day of reading the manual and checking out a few Youtube videos, I had the radio programmed and working just fine. It has good audio in and out, very good battery life, if you program your receive groups properly, and is built very solid. Other than the typical Chinese to English user manual, I can't think of anything I would want different on this radio. Except a USB computer interface, but at less than a $100, that isn't a deal breaker.

SM3WEO Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2016 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Amazing radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the price, what you get is nothing less than amazing. A rock solid radio with realy good audio. Why this HT doesn't cost three times as much baffles me because it is realy well built and put togeather. The software is also realy good and easy to understand. If you have prior experience with programming Motorola MotoTRBO, you will see where they got their influences from. All the way down to the sound the radio makes when you turn it on. It's the mototrbo sound, minus one note. Sneaky bastards. ;) The only thing i realy have to complain about, if anything, is that the charger is the slowest charger known to man. It takes forever. It's an over-night charger with nothinf "rapid" what so ever about it. BUT it gets the job done..eventually, so while you sleep, let it do it's thing. And if you want to enhance your experience, buy a bendable rubber antenna because the one that comes with the unit is made of hard plastic. All and all, you'll love it.

KJ6VTP Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2016 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Several in our local group decided to give DMR a try. We did not want to get to far down the rabbit hole cost wise and decided on the MD-380 from TYT. At about $110 online, the MD-380 was a good entry level radio. The radio arrived in short order and my initial reaction was that it is a solid radio. It fits well in the hand. The display is easy to read. The MD-380 is a UHF only radio. Most DMR repeaters are UHF. The radio came with a drop-in charger, belt clip, 2000mAh battery, programming cable, and 2 antennas. 1 stubby UHF about 4" long, and a second one about 14" long. Audio is very good. And the radio can get quite loud. It does distort a bit once you go to about 3/4 volume.

DMR is a very different animal than the regular analog world. You have to create, or download a "code plug" that sets up the radio with the needed configuration to work with repeaters. There is no programing from the keypad. The included programing cable looks just like any other Chinese radio programming cable - but it is not. The USB end of the cable is actually empty, i.e. passthrough. The radio itself is the USB interface. So if you try to use your Baoefeng/Wouxun/TYT, etc cable, you will get nowhere.

I am not going to go to far into DMR as that could get quite long, quite fast. You will be doing a lot of reading, applying for your DMR ID, etc. And you probably already know some of this if you are considering this radio. I will say the MD-380 worked very well on the predominantly Brandmeister systems we have here in the Bay Area. Audio is clear (for DMR), the range of the radio is very good, even with the stubby antenna, and battery life has been excellent. I should also mention the MD-380 will work with analog UHF repeaters and I am happy to say, it is one of the better sounding analog HT's I have heard. It works very well on analog. And with 1000 channels, you have plenty of room for your DMR and analog repeaters. There is an active MD-380 community for help, code plugs, and firmware updates.

So what are the gotcha's? For one, I have used dual receive HT's for a while now. DMR radios can scan, but I prefer dual receive (not dual watch). Also, the first MD-380 I received would not take a code plug. I was instructed to do a firmware update, but that left the radio in a looping reboot. The first hint was, of course, that uploading to the radio was failing out of the box. But since it was an Amazon purchase, it went right back in the box. The second radio I received has worked perfectly. I was able to take the existing code plug I had been working on, that wouldn't upload, and uploaded it straight away to the replacement radio. And just like that I was on DMR. Any other "gotchas" are DMR or code plug related, and can be resolved with some community help and a lot of reading.

Overall I think this is a great radio to begin your journey into the world of DMR.

W5GIF Rating: 3/5 Oct 17, 2016 16:23 Send this review to a friend
OK for HAM but not...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine to use with VERTEX STANDARD VXD-7200 and EVX-539.
Worked/programmed for five hours and never got my radios to hear it nor it them. Very disappointed.
Was fine for AMATEUR use but I wanted it for another Public Service "MOTOTRBO" Scanner.

KK4MHI Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2016 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DMR radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The MD-380 was my first DMR radio. Didn't want to dump a lot of money into a trial product.
I must say, this thing blows me away with it's excellent audio quality (receive & send) as well as it's expanded functionality provided one "hacks" it to load up the latest experimental firmware on it.
With the very latest d13.020 experimental firmware (that's right, Goodspeed & Co. have moved on from the older firmware to the new vocoder firmware) you can load the ENTIRE - yes, the ENTIRE - DMR ID database on it so it shows you not only the callsign of the person transmitting but their location as well, all taken from the latest DMR MARC ID database. Very easy to update as well via the md380tools open-source software. Of course, one does need to know how to operate Linux at the command-line level and be familiar with make and git tools but for me those things are simple to learn - I've been using them for years now.
I now also have an MD-390 (no GPS) which is basically the MD-380 guts stuffed into a waterproof case, and that's the unit that gets taken out of the house. The original MD-380 stays at home for use with my DVMega in a DVAP case and external Nextion screen. Don't worry about what some Motorola users may say, the MD-380 is an excellent value-buy.

KK4TBJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2016 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Early on, but, experience is favorable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first foray into DMR so I don't have experience with the more expensive HTs, like Motorola, to compare it with.

Comparing to using DSTAR HT, I found this to be much easier to get set up and on air.

The audio quality is excellent.

Interestingly, the DMR's range exceeds that I've gotten with any analog HT. That was a pleasant surprise.

The programming software did what it needed to but as a neophyte I'd like to have a better understanding...so reading the DMR primers that are available online is required.

The body seems to be well constructed and battery life while monitoring with occasional transmitting is very satisfactory.

I don't know what a Motorola DMR HT would do for me that this radio can't so I guess that's in the MD-380s favor.

In summary, quite an impressive DMR radio for under $115. I've read some negative takes on the MD-380's performance while transmitting but to this point I've not been called out for anything my HT is doing or causing that is disruptive to other users caused by inferior engineering. I hope it stays that way as I'd like to keep this one.

UT7UX Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Great inexpensive DMR radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio may be not as good as some rivals from batwings but it costs much less and has some unique advantages.

Pros:
1. Probably most HAM-friendly PRO-radio because of great community software support and modified firmware. Only some radios from Connect Systems may beat it with huge contact capacity.
2. Good loud audio!
3. This radio looks and feels as a solid PRO-radio and seems to be ready for rough use. Although it has no any special ratings (MIL STD, etc.), there is some sealing for splash and dust protection. I dropped my radio on the floor few times and found no scratches on it.
4. Looks like the manufacturer is going to support the radio with new firmware. This could help community to create newer modified firmware as well.

Cons (some may be fixed in a future firmware at least theoretically):
1. Stupid keyboard layout. There were no problems to make the standard 16-key keyboard. I really hate this.
2. Color display is useless w/o backlight. Backlight level cannot be adjusted in current firmware so display is too bright in the dark and tends to drain the battery if turned on continuously while on direct sunlight it would be nice to have more brightness.
3. Beep level cannot be set so it is too loud for a quiet environment. Just turn it off.
4. Some firmware and programming software improvements are welcome.

I would recommend this radio to anyone who wants to try DMR in a tight budget and when GPS, Bluetooth and rated protection are not mandatory.

JOHNR Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 19:53 Send this review to a friend
A great way to get into DMR!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own 2 of these MD-380 radios and love them. At around $110 this is a great way to get into DMR without breaking the bank plus the radio does great on analog too.

Audio reports are excellent and the speaker volume is loud enough to hear in a commercial environment which is nice since it is a Part90 radio.

Another item worth mentioning is there is a lot of software going around for these radios (codeplug editors, experimental firmwares, etc), it's nice to see so much activity on a radio.

I purchased mine on sale from http://www.radioddity.com/ like I do most of my radios.

It's a great radio and I highly recommend it.

K4UAW Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2016 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Great audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A Dayton RANDL price of only $109 + I successfully programed it + it works! = 5 stars.
My received transmission was reported to be excellent. This is what I did to get on the air. First, get your DMR-MARC ID# and install the programming software on your computer
I used this video -
Important- at min 2:20 you make the digital contacts/groups, zone using the info you harvested for your repeater, be sure that info is correct. - Write the program to the radio when done- If the repeater is active and you have turned on scanning, the activity will start.
Go to pg 35 in the owner's manual (you did read the entire manual-right?)- follow steps 1-7 to make a call to the talk group of your choice- be sure you are on the right channel--middle knob. The Tytera software looks simple enough to program, but a block diagram would be helpful to indicate which missed steps would prevent the radio from working correctly. If you are like me, and have some major hearing loss, switching to digital is all for the better. My wife came in the room and remarked that she thought I was watching a video = the sound quality is that good.

K0RGR Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2016 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Great value/function  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to the world of DMR, so I may not be smart enough yet to know what I'm missing. But after a week of heavy playing with this $130 ($110 on EBay) radio, I'm very impressed with both DMR and the rig.

With the HT in the car, I drove up to the Twin Cities, about 80 miles from here. Except for a very short stretch about halfway up, I was in the DMR network solidly all the way, using just the rubber ducky antenna. Pretty amazing!

I hear lots of traffic on some of the talk groups.

As the lowest cost commercial digital voice solution, I predict DMR is going to explode. It reminds me of the early days of FM, when growth was explosive. This is truly a better mousetrap.

Oh, and the radio works great on analog repeaters, too.

If you're going to get into DMR, search and see if you can find a group in your region doing DMR - a group can be a great help in getting started.