Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | QYT KT-8900 Help

Reviews Summary for QYT KT-8900
QYT KT-8900 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $~130.00
Description: Tiny Dual Band Mobile
More info: http://www.446shop.com/Product/Pro659.Html

You can write your own review of the QYT KT-8900.

KG5YEZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2018 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Clone: Juentai JT6188Plus  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reviewed the radio on this site before purchase. This radio QYT KT8900 is also marketed as JT 6188, TD 8900, MP 300 and 8900 mini. Found the Juentai on Amazon for $69 including shipping. The food, the form factor is fantastic. seems well built. It does get warm, mount with sufficient air clearance. Draw on recieve is about 500ma. Transmit seems around 4A. keyboard programming requires patience and discipline. CHIRP works but some accessory settings seem to get frazzled. The 'recommended software does not work with the 'recommended programming cable' because the amazon cable has the prolific chip set and the drivers on windows will need back revisions. On transmit the radio has good power, with a dummy load, VHF High was 22.1 Watts and UHF High was 17 Watts, below the marketing hype but respectable. The complaint is that, as others have indicated, the volume knob is horrible. Comfortable listening is a challenge. You will hear this radio in your vehicle despite your road noise!

M6KSR Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2018 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just bought one of these little sets and whilst the instructions were 'basic' I found YouTube helpful. My one issue is that whilst setting it up a letter T icon has appeared when I select the 70cm band but is not there on 2m, along the top just next to where th CT icon is displayed and niw 70cm will not rx or tx. Factory reset does not seem to work. Any ideas what I have done or need to do please? Thanks guys and 73.

KU3H Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2017 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Good but has problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this radio in the car for some time now it works surprisingly well considering its low price relative to other dual banders. The major problem I am having, of all things, is the power connector/fuse assembly. It has poor contacts and I now have to replace it using the old soldering iron. The power lead is very short and cannot be removed.

My other complaints are its very hard to read display (not easy for elderly eyes) and difficult to use controls and buttons.

I used it for a full day during the MS-150 event last September and it performed as it was supposed to. Programming must be done with its own software.

Documentation is poor, as expected for a Chinese product.

K6SDW Rating: 3/5 May 8, 2017 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Another update  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you read my previous review I complained about xmtr audio and receiver PL.

Well, the dealer I bought rig from sent me new Mic and that made a big difference in my audio and my fellow hams to stop complaining about my audio. He sent mic free and no shipping.

Receiver PL issue, well known, can only be solved by buying newer rig........NEVER HAPPEN!!!!

Rig is well built and if the fu..... receiver PL worked as it should I would radio a 4 only because the programming is a nightmare.

Cheers all

KG7QHP Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2017 12:24 Send this review to a friend
An updated review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first reviewed this radio way back in Feb of 2016. I'm updating because last week it gave up the ghost. This radio started life in my truck and was replaced with the UV-2501+220. When I replaced it, I put this little radio in my office. Sometimes connected to a Jpole and sometimes to a mag mount. It's been on pretty much every day, all day, monitoring the local sheriff and the most used Ham repeater.

Last week I noticed some strange noises on receive. A strange high pitched whine that seemed to oscillate up and down. Key down caused the radio to power off. I thought maybe the power supply was the cause so I hooked it up to a car battery. The radio didn't die but signal reports were horrible. It appears that internal voltage regulation is done. It's been a fair radio. Wish it had lived longer.

WB2JOB Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2017 15:53 Send this review to a friend
ok for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up the KT-8900R for less then 80.00 on ebay, when I plugged the radio in it came right on, pushing and holding the power switch wouldn't turn the radio off, only way was to turn off the PS.
Had no problem programming the radio after I watch a video that show how to put the freq.in memory, good audio and really small size, if not for the power switch would give it a 5.
Has anyone else had a problem with the power switch?.

W1VI Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2017 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual-Band Mobile Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I noted that most of the reviews of the QYT KT-8900 VHF/UHF mobile transceiver were offered in 2015. I recently purchased my KT-8900 from Amazon.com which included an updated version that relocated the programming jack and added a cooling fan. My version came with a programming cable for a total cost of about $85. To the best of my knowledge the device firmware is the same as earlier versions. I purchased this unit mostly due to its small size since a rig any larger would be difficult to install in my Ford Fusion vehicle. Below are my assessments of this remarkable dual band VHF/UHF transceiver.

First, other than the supplied mostly useless user guide, I’m very pleased with this unit. Like most prospective buyers, I carefully reviewed all of the documentation I was able to find on the Internet. The range of settings includes a number of settings that I doubt are used by most U.S. hams, settings such as the OPTSIG feature which emits a tone when a DTMF, 2Tone or 5Tone sound is received. With few exceptions, most of the available settings are minimal but useful, such as the ability to change the color of the front panel LEDs or display backlight.

There are several similar versions of this product offered by multiple vendors. In many respects the KT-8900 is roughly similar to the Baofeng UV-2501 transceiver. The Baofeng UV-2501 includes a slightly improved English manual which displays a command list that is nearly identical to the KT-8900. Note that none of the manuals mentioned the added cooling fan. I didn’t notice the fan working at first and thought it might be defective until I noticed that after transmitting for a few seconds the fan began operating, obviously due to increased internal temperatures. You should also be aware that this product does not include upgradeable firmware. What you see is what you get.

While you can manually add simplex and repeater channels and change most settings, I tried using the KT-8900 supplied configuration software but gave up in despair. Fortunately the latest CHIRP configuration software made the configuration effort relatively easy starting with CHIRP’s default configuration. I learned that when editing the configuration settings you must disconnect the programming cable. The programming sequence involves initially “download from the radio” and editing or adding new VHF or UHF channels. Once the configuration profile is saved, use the CHIRP “upload to the radio” function to implement a changed configuration profile. CHIRP documentation is available which greatly assists in programming the KT-8900 radio.

For the price I believe the KT-8900 is well worth the money. The KT-8900 is housed in a rugged enclosure, outputs between 20 and 25 watts in the VHF/UHF bands, includes a scanning feature, a dual level display, the familiar V/M (VFO/Memory) feature as well as a MONI button that opens the squelch to enable setting the audio level in the absence of an incoming signal. The microphone is compatible with a Kenwood DTMF type and includes the ability to start and stop scanning, move channels up or down, lock key operation and access to the KT-8900 menu. If you’re looking for an inexpensive dual band mobile rig to install in your vehicle, the KT-8900 will not disappoint.

W1VI

N5OFQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2016 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive rig that works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used this about a month now. Mine is updated with the external speaker jack in back, programming jack in front. Power measures almost 30w on VHF, 20w on UHF. It's small, has no fan (I hate fan noise) but a decent heat sink. It powers on when the car cigar lighter turns on. It's easy to program with Chirp (similar menus to any Baofeng) and came with the programming cable for $79 on Amazon. Great for camping/hiking when you want more power than a handheld in a package not much bigger than a handheld!

VE4ACV Rating: 0/5 Jul 21, 2016 16:25 Send this review to a friend
QYT KT-8900R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First mine does not look like yours
buttons go all the way across lower section
Mine has a speaker jack
25 watt version
tested @14.2 volts 50 ohm load then on antenna
Tested 12.5 watts VHF
TESTED 16 Watt UHF

Left knob "does" change frequencies on mine
but both the knob and the mic up / down button
skips channels all the time Like there is a missing load resistor on some data Line
21 goes to o, 55 goes to 0, soft ware chirp and cable worked fine...

Took 3.75 months to get here, vie ali
won't buy another one. mine was advertised
220 to 260 mhz ya sure...Crap radio. - tossed in garbage on day 4 nice box though...

K0BEL Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My KT-8900 works and sounds fine. It is inexpensive so I don't worry about it being seen in my car. The more expensive dual band radios may be better, but are not 4-5 times better. Doesn't get warm enough when transmitting to need a fan. I thought about getting the kt-8900r for the fine, but decided it wasn't needed. Now that it can use Chirp it is simple to program. It is small enough to use in both my car and on the back of my bicycle (with a 6400mah lipo). I added a Kenwood mike for better transmit audio. With it's 25 watts and dual band I no longer had a need for my ft-1900r, so I sold it. There is a very good kt-8900 Yahoo users group and Miklor's site on the radio is great.