Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | QYT KT-8900 Help

Reviews Summary for QYT KT-8900
QYT KT-8900 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $~130.00
Description: Tiny Dual Band Mobile
More info: http://www.446shop.com/Product/Pro659.Html

You can write your own review of the QYT KT-8900.

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2015 15:03 Send this review to a friend
OK So far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one of these for my work truck. I got it for $85 shipped. I ordered the blue case as the red was too bright! So far so good. seems to work ok and not a real pain to program. does have a few minor flaws but they are not a real problem. I will see where it is in a few months of riding around in the work truck.

N9ZI Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2015 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Not A Bad Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased as needed a small radio for my car.
It seems to fill what I needed pretty well.
Gets out well, receives well, audio is loud and clear. Seems a little confusing to program, but can do it OK manually. Seems worth the money paid for it, you can not expect a $300.00 radio for $80 to $100, but to fit small spaces & put out a fair amount of power, plus works fine for my cross band use, I am happy so far.

ON7RA Rating: 1/5 Dec 6, 2015 01:40 Send this review to a friend
QYT KT-8900  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Big junk, wasted money! Don't buy this garbage, hat's what it is( garbage) nothing more, nothing less!!!

AA9SD Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2015 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, very small  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is the same as the Juentai JT-6188. I purchased mine from Amazon for $89.

First impressions:
1- It is really small, hardly larger than an HT
2- It is pretty heavy for the small size
3- Display is easy to read
4- No external speaker jack but the built-in speaker can be LOUD and audio is quite clear
5- It really does seem to put out 25W VHF (about 20W UHF)
6- It can be programmed easily from the DTMF mic, including alphanumeric channel names

I Installed the KT-8900 in my Subaru Outback under the dash above the accelerator pedal. There is enough room to clear my knee by a couple inches. I'm using a TRAM dual band mag mount antenna.

The radio has a power cord with a Molex type two wire connector and a 12V power connector (cigarette lighter type) that is fused with a mating connector to the Molex one. I have a splitter for my 12V power connector so I can run my GPS from the same socket. I plugged the KT-8900 power connector in the other socket of the splitter. I get zero noise in the radio from this setup so I doubt I'll install a dedicated power line for it.

The radio comes with a DTMF mic which some people report sounds bass heavy. My signal reports have generally been good.

As I mentioned the radio can be programmed via the mic pretty easily BUT you should follow the instructions on the miklor.com website as programming repeater offsets won't work if you follow the instructions in the "manual". I programmed in a couple of local repeaters and was able to use them with no problems following the Miklor instructions.

I've seen other reviews stating that it doesn't have 2.5K steps but mine does. I don't know if that is a change in newer models or what but I definitely have the 2.5K steps.

Most sellers do not include a programming cable. The cable for this radio is different from the cables for Baofengs; it has only a 3.5mm plug. The same problem exists with most of the KT-8900 programming cables as with the Baofengs, counterfeit Prolific chips. Rather than purchase a cable I bought a CP2102 USB to UART controller on Amazon for six bucks and made my own cable. It took all of ten minutes and works perfectly. It works with newer versions of Windows where the counterfeit Prolific cables are a pain with anything newer than Windows XP.

The front-end seems pretty good, it doesn't open up or squawk like my Baofeng UV5R. The squelch seem to work as it should. Received audio is loud and clear which is good since there is no external speaker jack.

All-in-all the KT-8900 seems to be a great little dual band radio for about $100. I'm not much of a VHF/UHF repeater guy so it is perfect (so far) for me. I really didn't want to spend hundreds on a radio I wouldn't use a lot. It is so small it should be able to fit in virtually any car or truck. Of course I can't comment on longevity yet so that will have to wait. Oh, it also receives broadcast FM.

Sherman AA9SD